Where are the power hitters

putrevus

Just now, Cricspin said:

I WILL take 160SR any day.

Let's see how he develops.

this thread is on power hitting, and I don't think he is a power hitter (as of now). and I didn't mean he would score at 160+ SR on average - that is very hard to achieve

40 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Forget Russell, or Pollard, and the WI guys. There isn't even anyone like Maxwell, Livingstone or any of the other major English players in India. 

Eng is chock full of talents with 140-150+ SR. we go into delirium if we find someone who can tuk-tuk at 130-140 SR

2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Indian team does not have A power hitter, let alone power hitter(s).

when malnourished Pandya is seen as a 'power hitter' you know you have a problem... guys like Dube, Shahrukh etc who are built like tanks but when it comes to IPL they are tai tai phuss.. WI type body they have made but they cant power hit the ball further than Rahane or Kohli

14 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

moeen relies more on timing then using brute power but now teams have coaches to help them improve power game which he has now . 

Livingstone relies a lot on power 

England hired a baseball coach to improve power hitting. 

We are still stuck in 90s and believe timing is everything. 

8 hours ago, Jay said:

England hired a baseball coach to improve power hitting. 

We are still stuck in 90s and believe timing is everything. 

even IPL teams have it now

Our thinking is stuck in old ages still, Yuvraj singh even mocked when rathore was selected as batting coach saying how can someone teach how to bat in t20 when he himself hasnt played one

Only Tilak Verma excites me as of now.

Some reasons I can think:

1. Power is a function of fast-twitch muscles. I'd blame the strength and conditioning team for overworking the cricketers on useless training and not focusing on sport-specific muscle groups.
  2. BCCI needs to be ashamed and called out for not spending on the dietary needs of budding talents at the grass-root levels. Most cricketers look malnourished because they come from poor backgrounds. Compare them to Yuvraj Singh, who came from an economically well-off background. Zameen-aasmaan ka fark. This should be a priority.
  3. Ideally, the focus of sports training (at school level) should be to make solid athletes first, and then cricketers/sportsmen. Build solid athletic foundation and then carve out for the specific sport.

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

even IPL teams have it now

Our thinking is stuck in old ages still, Yuvraj singh even mocked when rathore was selected as batting coach saying how can someone teach how to bat in t20 when he himself hasnt played one

It's like hiring a total nitwit like putridevus or a nincompoop like phony srt100 (not the sachu lover) to coach a regional level under 10 side. They are not even qualified to coach at such a level. 

14 minutes ago, DarkProfile said:

Only Tilak Verma excites me as of now.

Some reasons I can think:

1. Power is a function of fast-twitch muscles. I'd blame the strength and conditioning team for overworking the cricketers on useless training and not focusing on sport-specific muscle groups.
  2. BCCI needs to be ashamed and called out for not spending on the dietary needs of budding talents at the grass-root levels. Most cricketers look malnourished because they come from poor backgrounds. Compare them to Yuvraj Singh, who came from an economically well-off background. Zameen-aasmaan ka fark. This should be a priority.
  3. Ideally, the focus of sports training (at school level) should be to make solid athletes first, and then cricketers/sportsmen. Build solid athletic foundation and then carve out for the specific sport.

Yes good post. But Indians in school focus first on gaining experience first rather than becoming athletes. 

Line and length. Technically correct. Orthodox. Batsmen don't need to train in strength and conditioning apparently. Their technique and timing is more valuable. Yea in tests technique is important but even there you need power and endurance. How will you last 90 overs without power or muscular endurance? 

We have too many noobs in high positions. 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's like hiring a total nitwit like putridevus or a nincompoop like phony srt100 (not the sachu lover) to coach a regional level under 10 side. They are not even qualified to coach at such a level. 

U need powerhitters u need 3 kind of change

1. Cultural change- like Fast bowling, When IPL came in came the demand and understanding of it more and with years result started coming. Same with power hitting, although results have been slow but now players are coming- hardik, samad, dube, iyer, suyyash, SRK. Now all wont be high quality but atleast the change has happened, now ppl know the demand so they are working towards it 
  2. Training- Obv Baseball coaches n power hitting coaches are needed too which where BCCI is falling behind \
  3. Patience by fans- if fans keep trolling players who do such jobs soon players will not take such a job. Its the most difficult job to do, coming in n starting to hit from ball 1 . U need atmost patience for this . Every day i see guys like Samad , parag getting trolled. Its the toughest thing to some n hit from ball 1 and when u take risk it obv can fail. 

14 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

1. Cultural change- like Fast bowling, When IPL came in came the demand and understanding of it more and with years result started coming. Same with power hitting, although results have been slow but now players are coming- hardik, samad, dube, iyer, suyyash, SRK. Now all wont be high quality but atleast the change has happened, now ppl know the demand so they are working towards it 
  2. Training- Obv Baseball coaches n power hitting coaches are needed too which where BCCI is falling behind \
  3. Patience by fans- if fans keep trolling players who do such jobs soon players will not take such a job. Its the most difficult job to do, coming in n starting to hit from ball 1 . U need atmost patience for this . Every day i see guys like Samad , parag getting trolled. Its the toughest thing to some n hit from ball 1 and when u take risk it obv can fail. 

Yea I agree. Indian fans are toxic when it comes to young players. For some reason they get more excited about mediocre washed up has been stars like yaxperiencrd kohli, yexperienced Dhoni. Some idiots built him a temple and **** fml. This is a travesty. 

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes good post. But Indians in school focus first on gaining experience first rather than becoming athletes. 

Line and length. Technically correct. Orthodox. Batsmen don't need to train in strength and conditioning apparently. Their technique and timing is more valuable. Yea in tests technique is important but even there you need power and endurance. How will you last 90 overs without power or muscular endurance? 

We have too many noobs in high positions. 

These new formats that rely on explosive power and elite level of fitness will force Indian Cricket to adapt in the same approach as Indian Hockey. Otherwise irrelevance. You can just count at the frequency of injuries befalling Indian cricketers to realize that one can't build a skyscraper on a weak base. Luckily, not many gora countries play cricket otherwise... :D

19 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

other thing i forgot to add is experience- players around the world play diff leagues in this format which helps their game

• Pooran t20 rose quicker then hetymer coz he was playing around the world, hetymer qualatitvely was a better player hence now looks better but it took him time 
  • Livingstone game against high pace is best one of the reasons was playing BBL , now he plays leagues in Abu dhabi n PSL soon his game against spin will also improve 

58 minutes ago, DarkProfile said:

These new formats that rely on explosive power and elite level of fitness will force Indian Cricket to adapt in the same approach as Indian Hockey. Otherwise irrelevance. You can just count at the frequency of injuries befalling Indian cricketers to realize that one can't build a skyscraper on a weak base. Luckily, not many gora countries play cricket otherwise... :D

Skyscraper? Weak base? U mean small fick pandya??? Lol