Where are the power hitters

putrevus

20 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Not a power hitter. He relied on timing and stroke play. He was well built but he rarely used brute force or power. 

yuvraj was mix of power and timing 

36 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

India has never had a power hitter. Things are not gonna change suddenly. 

dhoni 

yusuf 

both were power hitters

10 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yuvraj was mix of power and timing 

dhoni 

yusuf 

both were power hitters

I would say Yuvraj was more in the mould of Rohit Sharma. I will even put Raina in that list.

Bhajji was a pretty good power hitter at the death :giggle:. Also Uthappa when he started 

16 minutes ago, maniac said:

I would say Yuvraj was more in the mould of Rohit Sharma. I will even put Raina in that list.

Bhajji was a pretty good power hitter at the death :giggle:. Also Uthappa when he started 

rohit has never needed to use much of power , yuvraj did a lot and when t20 came he used it even more. 

uthappa had it all power+range+timing 

Raina also had a gift of timing but with introduction of t20 he worked on his power game. If u bat in middle or lower middle u need power specially in those days when only 1 ball was used.  U needed muscle to clear to get that extra since ball use to get soft, may be thats why rohit struggled in middle not that he cudnt use power but it wasnt his style as he relied more on timing .  Players like Rohit or even samson when ever theyll try to hit hard will loose timing thats why lower middle order hasnt worked for either coz then they have to create pace. At top the ball is new and they can look to play normally , they have that extra to get the best of the timings 

Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

i havent seen a player in yuvraj's mould even in international (may be pietersen)....pant also heavily relies on power 

but pietersen scored in range over yuvraj n i always considered him a better bat then yuvi but mould yes i can only think of KP

10 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

rohit has never needed to use much of power , yuvraj did a lot and when t20 came he used it even more. 

uthappa had it all power+range+timing 

Raina also had a gift of timing but with introduction of t20 he worked on his power game. If u bat in middle or lower middle u need power specially in those days when only 1 ball was used.  U needed muscle to clear to get that extra since ball use to get soft, may be thats why rohit struggled in middle not that he cudnt use power but it wasnt his style as he relied more on timing .  Players like Rohit or even samson when ever theyll try to hit hard will loose timing thats why lower middle order hasnt worked for either coz then they have to create pace. At top the ball is new and they can look to play normally , they have that extra to get the best of the timings 

Same applies to Gill as well Shaw . Hence selectors should be clear which # they should be considered in short format.  50 Overs gives some leeway as a good player of spin can still maintain  +run a ball  strike rate holding one end up. Gill can still make it at #3 in 50 overs .

16 hours ago, I6MTW said:

India has never had a power hitter. Things are not gonna change suddenly. 

Chronologically ....

Kapil Dev

Sandeep Patil

Kirti Azad

Atul Bedade

Yuvraj

Dhoni

Yusuf Pathan

Hardik Pandya

Rishabh Pant

Ishan Kishan

All these guys hit with tremendous power and could/can hit 6s even when they mistimed/mistimes shots.

A decade of IPL, yet to produce a muscular power hitter, whilst West Indies, Australia and England are churning out decent strong batsmen.

A slight glimmer has been Dube and SRK, both are tall and broad shoulders, can easily mishit balls for sixes.

I just don't see India winning World T20 next 10 years. It will be affair between Aus, Eng, WI and NZ. T20 is going to get muscular is it moves on.

20 minutes ago, chewy said:

A decade of IPL, yet to produce a muscular power hitter, whilst West Indies, Australia and England are churning out decent strong batsmen.

A slight glimmer has been Dube and SRK, both are tall and broad shoulders, can easily mishit balls for sixes.

I just don't see India winning World T20 next 10 years. It will be affair between Aus, Eng, WI and NZ. T20 is going to get muscular is it moves on.

We have plenty of muscular men. We just don't have batting technique for power hitting. Even pipsqueak iyer hit a mammoth 110 m six. None of the whiteys except symmonds (who is black) hit that far. 

We are too focus on safe technique plus timing. That suits maybe odi but not t20. Tbh we never produced 360 degree batsman in our history except maybe pant. Never. We always lacked the technique. Contrary to what people may believe we actually never had good technique vs bounce barring a few great players. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

We have plenty of muscular men. We just don't have batting technique for power hitting. Even pipsqueak iyer hit a mammoth 110 m six. None of the whiteys except symmonds (who is black) hit that far. 

We are too focus on safe technique plus timing. That suits maybe odi but not t20. Tbh we never produced 360 degree batsman in our history except maybe pant. Never. We always lacked the technique. Contrary to what people may believe we actually never had good technique vs bounce barring a few great players. 

DK? SKY?

We have produced range hitters, but we've never produced a split power hitter by modern standards. 

Edited by I6MTW