MultiB48

Can atheists critique religion ?

Can atheists critique religion ?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are atheists better placed to critique religion ?

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

But that's written in their books. Also Dharm isn't defined by what it's followers say and do but by it's scriptures and reforms. 

Didn’t we go through this yesterday. I can also find similar controversial statements or facts from Hindu books. 

This is just hiding behind a mask. Y’all say that Hindu Dharma says all religions are equal and good but also easily call

Muslims as Jihadis or terrorists and make bomb jokes. Most of the people here are not Hindus then.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ash said:

There is a  Ricky Gervais video where he beautifully exposes that Theists are actually Brainwashed Atheists. Hindus don’t believe in Allah, Muslims don’t believe in Siva - Atheists just don’t believe in both Siva and Allah. 

That's like saying since Muslims dont believe in Hindu gods and Hindus dont believe in Islamic god and Christians dont believe in either so they are actually brainwashed Christians.

There are four options to existence

1. something came out of something which in turn came from some other thing and so on for infinity.
2. ultimately something has always existed.
3. ultimately something came out of nothing.
4. initially someone set the ball rolling.

All these four options sound crazy to me.

And just like there is no evidence that someone initially set the ball rolling or actively intervenes ,similarly there is no evidence that something can always exist or can come out of nothing or that the infinity option exists.  

I am an atheist as well,maybe a dodgy one,but still i dont believe in the existence of any supernatural being watching over us.Now there are people who educate themselves into being atheists but for some reason I always had this strong sense of disbelieve since i was a child ,it wasn't trained into me nor born out of any scientific inquiry .Now that didn't make me more knowledgeable than my teachers who may have had religious believes ,and same goes with the likes of Ricky Grevais ,are we going to go to him to learn math,science,philosophy,logic ? The key lies in the person's expertise rather than his innate or
ideological believes.Though if both aspects are present then it becomes easier for us.

4 hours ago, ash said:

It’s obvious isn’t it, theists lack

objectivity. They basically become Atheists when it comes to other religion, ready to be practical, logical, factual and find faults. But when it comes to their religion, the logical mind turns off and they overlook all problems. Fact becomes irrelevant, logic goes for a toss, official data becomes “corrupt” or “doctored”, news becomes “Fake news”. 

Atheists too can be illogical,they may be logical when it comes to god but can lose their temper,become emotional,pick fights,fall for scams and make many such mistakes in other aspects of their life .That's how humans are .

Objectivity is easier said than done.When it comes to physical materials it's easier to be objective .We can measure them, put them under microscope,telescope etc but can we find objectivity in every thing .Let's take the example of the sanctity of human life which is the keystone to keeping peace in society,can we prove only from atheistic principles that life should be preserved,from a naturalistic pov we are all made of atoms, so killing someone could be seen as rearranging those atoms ,so is rearranging atoms acceptable? 

4 hours ago, ash said:

If you make a Hindu and Muslim debate about their religions, it would just be an ego competition to prove who is better. Both sides won’t accept the faults in their religion, both would trigger the other religion, and there is nothing to be gained from the debate except possible riots and problems. 

Agree on this but isnt it a good thing ,they can get rid of each other.Do we really want these fundamentalists to grow some brain cells, unlikely as it maybe and then turn against their common enemy.

Edited by MultiB48

23 minutes ago, ash said:

Didn’t we go through this yesterday. I can also find similar controversial statements or facts from Hindu books. 

This is just hiding behind a mask. Y’all say that Hindu Dharma says all religions are equal and good but also easily call

Muslims as Jihadis or terrorists and make bomb jokes. Most of the people here are not Hindus then.

A small test for you: go to your personal sm account and type this Draupadi had 5 husbands lol, what kind of culture is this.

then follow it up with, I don’t understand the origin story of this religious figure (pick your poison from any non-Hindu or sanatani religion)

Dont gimme bs like oh why would I offend anyone. Since you talk like a know it all intellectual, I am interested to see if you can find it for yourself.

I can’t vouch for others  but will back on you both accounts.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, ash said:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

All human beings, that do not do adharmic things like murder/rape/cheating , are equal. But not all religious equal. There are some truly diabolical ones that promote murder and rape of "others".

Edited by kepler37b

8 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Redundant question @ OP.

The raison d'etre of atheism is to critique religion/belief.

That's like conflating muslims with muslim dais .And you do love your jargon dont you ,this aint the first time i had to google your post.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

Atheists too can be illogical,they may be logical when it comes to god but can lose their temper,become emotional,pick fights,fall for scams and make many such mistakes in other aspects of their life .That's how humans are .

Obviously I am not saying all atheists are good guys. The topic is only about religion, and atheists can be logical about religion, theists can’t.

Edited by ash

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ash said:

Wait, weren’t you calling Muslims as Jihadis yesterday and said that Nupur was spitting facts about Mohammed? :phehe: so by your definition, you are not an Hindu. Nice 

No, don’t put words in my mouth uttering lies. I called people crying Blasphemy and baying for Nupur’s blood with cries of Sar Tan se juda as Jihadis. Never claim all Muslims as Jihadis. Facts about Mohd are not spouted by me, but many renowned Islamic scholars studying Hadiths And what not - “Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3310”

Yes, you are right. I am not a Hindu, I am a Sanatan Dharmi. I believe in plurality and mutual respect of all people. I don’t respect those who believe that I am a kafir. 

Edited by coffee_rules

27 minutes ago, maniac said:

A small test for you: go to your personal sm account and type this Draupadi had 5 husbands lol, what kind of culture is this.

then follow it up with, I don’t understand the origin story of this religious figure (pick your poison from any non-Hindu or sanatani religion)

Dont gimme bs like oh why would I offend anyone. Since you talk like a know it all intellectual, I am interested to see if you can find it for yourself.

I can’t vouch for others  but will back on you both accounts.

Lol man , you really don’t understand Atheism do you? Do you think we go about picking fights for timepass ? :hysterical:

I know what you are insinuating btw, I have had very good debates with Muslims about quoran and the issues in it and I was not beheaded. Obviously I won’t engage a random Hindu or a Muslim fanatic, it will backfire. I know how to pick a crowd. 

21 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I don’t respect those who believe that I am a

Similarly Muslims won’t respect those who believe that they are Jihadis. Can’t see any difference between the two. Whatever spin you put in this, it is basically Hindu vs Muslims and both sides cannot be objective 

31 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

All human beings, that do not do adharmic things like murder/rape/cheating , are equal. But not all religious equal. There are some truly diabolical ones that promote murder and rape of "others".

you got to hash it out with coffee then, he was the one who said Hinduism means all religions are same and good. 

5 minutes ago, ash said:

Similarly Muslims won’t respect those who believe that they are Jihadis. Can’t see any difference between the two. Whatever spin you put in this, it is basically Hindu vs Muslims and both sides cannot be objective 

Fine, I f I call a Jihadi a Jihadi and if Muslims get offended, it is their problem, not mine. People throwing stones after Friday prayers listening to Sar tan se juda instigations are Jihadis

8 minutes ago, ash said:

you got to hash it out with coffee then, he was the one who said Hinduism means all religions are same and good. 

Yes, modern day Hindus like Modi believe all religions are equal, satya ek, rahe anek. This is what lead to this situation. Call a spade a spade is what Chanakya’s Hindutva teaches

19 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Fine, I f I call a Jihadi a Jihadi and if Muslims get offended, it is their problem, not mine. People throwing stones after Friday prayers listening to Sar tan se juda instigations are Jihadis

What does this prove. 5 mins of searching and I can find videos like this easily. Fanatics are on both sides, don’t act as if one side is good and the other is bad

4 minutes ago, ash said:

What does this prove. 5 mins of searching and I can find videos like this easily. Fanatics are on both sides, don’t act as if one side is good and the other is bad

This is nothing compared to what the liberal secular west as well as the left of china and ussr has done to the muslim world.Atheists and Seculars hate all religious people and have actively cracked down on them in the past but now they play one side against the another.

14 minutes ago, ash said:

So, I condemn them if it is not a fake one. I don’t condone violence in the name of religion. Let law punish them as per the constitution norm. Now , stop defending the Jihadis and condemn them likewise. 

Quoting CJ Werleman is like quoting Rihanna on farmers plight. He is an opportunist cashing in on anti- Hindu sentiments Recently journalist Imran Khan posted a video which turned out to be fake Hindutva violence narrative . Who knows these videos you searched are fake 

8 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

So, I condemn them if it is not a fake one. I don’t condone violence in the name of religion. Let law punish them as per the constitution norm. Now , stop defending the Jihadis and condemn them likewise. 

Quoting CJ Werleman is like quoting Rihanna on farmers plight. He is an opportunist cashing in on anti- Hindu sentiments Recently journalist Imran Khan posted a video which turned out to be fake Hindutva violence narrative . Who knows these videos you searched are fake 

Just proves my point. As I said, your mind automatically goes to the video being fake. You cannot simply condemn them, you feel the need to add a caveat and try to spin this too as fake. This is how a Theist mind works, years of conditioning prevents them from being logical , subconsciously they feel that their side is not wrong. You showed a video, I accept that the protestors are wrong. I showed some videos and you try to have it both ways, trying to act fair and condemn them but immediately also tag it as Fake news, seeding a doubt in others mind.

This clearly answers the OPs question I think. OP can see the difference in objectivity between an atheist and a theist. 

25 minutes ago, ash said:

This clearly answers the OPs question I think. OP can see the difference in objectivity between an atheist and a theist. 

Already gave my pov in that long post but since you bring it up again ,can you explain objectively from an atheistic perspective why torturing or killing people is wrong, otherwise there is nothing wrong going on in those videos.

5 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

otherwise there is nothing wrong going on in those videos.

Which videos? Not sure if you can call hitting a person for not saying a chant as “Nothing wrong”. 

17 minutes ago, ash said:

Which videos? Not sure if you can call hitting a person for not saying a chant as “Nothing wrong”. 

The Twitter ones you posted ,unless we can objectively establish hitting people is wrong ,how can it be condemned.

1 hour ago, ash said:

Just proves my point. As I said, your mind automatically goes to the video being fake. You cannot simply condemn them, you feel the need to add a caveat and try to spin this too as fake. This is how a Theist mind works, years of conditioning prevents them from being logical , subconsciously they feel that their side is not wrong. You showed a video, I accept that the protestors are wrong. I showed some videos and you try to have it both ways, trying to act fair and condemn them but immediately also tag it as Fake news, seeding a doubt in others mind.

Get off your high horse, Hindutva fake videos are a norm that the left propagates on SM. They are also used by jihadis to recruit misguided youth in radicalization factories . If they are true, there is no Hindu who is sane will justify innocents killing. Thanks for condemning the jihadis, btw.