MultiB48

Can atheists critique religion ?

Can atheists critique religion ?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are atheists better placed to critique religion ?

14 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

If you identify yourself as an atheist in order to be considered rationale, you are anyway an idiot. Pardon my French. This is a standard thing about those who are too intellectually bankrupt to even argue based on borrowed ideas. 

True atheist will never call himself. Any kind of group think or identity is antithetical to rational thought process. 

What you want to check is intellectual sharpness to keep cutting through BS with first principles without getting identified as this or that. Socrates was all about questions. But question so sharp that he had to eventually be taken out. 

Humans do have a yearning for community ,and also gang mentality and fighting against common enemy can be quite pleasurable.

59 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

Humans do have a yearning for community ,and also gang mentality and fighting against common enemy can be quite pleasurable.

My belief is jo jiski faith hai uske Maze karo, enjoy Karo. Faith is personal and should be limited to homes and worshipping places. It shouldn't be a matter of discussion on primetime news channels. Discussions should be on how can we make life of the people better. These media news channels are also guilty of this. Regarding faith, I mean all faiths and Atheism can be a faith too if you are too staunch about it. 

47 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

My belief is jo jiski faith hai uske Maze karo, enjoy Karo. Faith is personal and should be limited to homes and worshipping places. It shouldn't be a matter of discussion on primetime news channels. Discussions should be on how can we make life of the people better. These media news channels are also guilty of this. Regarding faith, I mean all faiths and Atheism can be a faith too if you are too staunch about it. 

If you don't take the public platforms then someone will take it or if no one does there could be anarchy. Also it might be down to physicality ,like some are normal ,some are loners and some are into gangs .You can't expect everyone to  agree on these preferences.

I don't watch prime time so not totally aware of those discussions,but you can't expect much out of public platforms,they have to aim for the lowest common denominator for mass appeal. To learn something to got be trained and then be around professionals.I am assuming by saying "making lives better" you mean discussions on economy but someone like me doesn't understand it that well and have to educate myself or ask someone who does .Some channels like rstv used to host informative discussions,but even they were limited by their preference.

The other thing is ,this might sound weird but I don't think most people really want to improve their lives,they like to think they do or talk about it but most seem quite content .I am not claiming I am some greatly ambitious guy ,I am also bit like the rest and can survive on very little but that's not very useful if you want to improve your lifestyle is it.So you have to push yourself and I don't see many doing that even in  professional environments. The other point is from the authority's perspective,do they want us to improve? because we hear about the horrible destruction of resources and nature and climate change because of materialism and industrialization .If we were all living fabulous lives then things would be even worse,so maybe this is their solution for all of us given the situation.To keep the balance,a few having a lot and the rest scraping by.

16 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@ash You seem like a reasonable guy. I find myself in agreement with a lot of your posts.

However, whats with the constant slagging off of Bollywood movies?

Can those who watch regional cinema critique Bollywood better?

I took a dig at Prithviraj, the trailer was horrible and apparently so is the movie. But generally I don’t even know anything about Bollywood - Before OTT became popular , I had seen only 5 Hindi movies in my life - 3 idiots, PK , Dangal, My name is Khan and Rockstar. Have heard about movies like Sholay, DDLJ but have not watched them. 

Yes if you are in India you can. But I would love to see brother [mention=24297]ash[/mention] going to any gulf country, calling himself an atheist and criticize religion. Ash ka gas nikal jaani hai :cantstop:

All these drama they will only do where they know they can get away with things. 
Arre..why would he need to go to gulf?
He can't criticize a certain religion in India itself.

Definitely I feel that non-religious people (Atheists/Agnostics/Deists) place themselves automatically in better position while criticizing other religions. 

But for me, it is not a matter of "Better Position". 

But the important thing is, EVERYONE is/should be allowed to criticize and even commit blasphemy against all other religions/ideologies without any fear

Thus, Nupur Sharma should have full right to criticize/mock Islam/Muhammad and vice-versa. 

And a meaningful debate depends upon the participant, and not upon the issue of being an atheist or religious person. There are many atheists who don't have the ability to debate with arguments, while there are many religious people who could debate in respectful manner with arguments and proofs. 

In simple words, I disagree with BJP when they go after normal MUSLIMS. But I support BJP fully if it criticizes Islam directly. And thus, I also support Nupur Sharma fully for criticizing Islam/Muhammad. 

In all western democracies, every individual (atheist or religious) has full right to criticize and mock any religion/ideology. And I also want this right too for every citizen of India. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

Definitely I feel that non-religious people (Atheists/Agnostics/Deists) place themselves automatically in better position while criticizing other religions. 

But for me, it is not a matter of "Better Position". 

But the important thing is, EVERYONE is/should be allowed to criticize and even commit blasphemy against all other religions/ideologies without any fear

Thus, Nupur Sharma should have full right to criticize/mock Islam/Muhammad and vice-versa. 

And a meaningful debate depends upon the participant, and not upon the issue of being an atheist or religious person. There are many atheists who don't have the ability to debate with arguments, while there are many religious people who could debate in respectful manner with arguments and proofs. 

In simple words, I disagree with BJP when they go after normal MUSLIMS. But I support BJP fully if it criticizes Islam directly. And thus, I also support Nupur Sharma fully for criticizing Islam/Muhammad. 

In all western democracies, every individual (atheist or religious) has full right to criticize and mock any religion/ideology. And I also want this right too for every citizen of India. 

Will Western democracies allow criticism of free market ,captalism and liberalism? And to what extent will they allow such expressions before calling them extremists and cracking down like  those occupy protests.

Edited by MultiB48

12 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

Will Western democracies allow criticism of free market ,captalism and liberalism?

Yes, of course they have to allow ALL criticism of free market, capitalism and liberalism and Secularism and even democracy. 

They have to allow the full preaching of communism and religion etc. 

12 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

And to what extent will they allow such expressions before calling them extremists and cracking down like  those occupy protests.

ALL the ORAL expressions should be allowed. 

Calling the other side EXTREMIST also comes under Oral expression and should be allowed. 

Cracking upon anything is allowed in case someone passes the limits of oral expression and enters the domain of becoming physical, or entering the domain of Hate Speech. 

2 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

Yes, of course they have to allow ALL criticism of free market, capitalism and liberalism and Secularism and even democracy. 

They have to allow the full preaching of communism and religion etc. 

ALL the ORAL expressions should be allowed. 

Calling the other side EXTREMIST also comes under Oral expression and should be allowed. 

Cracking upon anything is allowed in case someone passes the limits of oral expression and enters the domain of becoming physical, or entering the domain of Hate Speech. 

yeah right,what hate speech did occupy movements do ,they got removed and disbanded .