Australia tour of Sri Lanka 2022 - Discussion Thread

21 hours ago, Majestic said:

Smith has been fortunate to play home matches mostly in last 2-3 years. He played a series in Pakistan but luckily those were on flat wickets too. He will get tested really hard if he tours SEN and India now.

Nah Smith is the complete opposite of most batsmen. He just can't bat on roads after the top 3 make bulk runs and does best in very hard conditions. His best innings are all saving a collapse in Australia or on english seamers or subcontinent raggers

On 7/1/2022 at 12:48 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Embuldeniya was a big let down for Lankans.  He was supposed to be Herath's successor. 

This Cam green is a massive asset for Aus.  Allows them to play a extra spinner.   He had a good showing in Pak & now here as well.  Amazing talent. 

possibly their next ATG batter, but he needs to stop this useless bowling and become a pure bat.

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

possibly their next ATG batter, but he needs to stop this useless bowling and become a pure bat.

His bowling is not useless. He bowls a tight line and has bowled fast this season and naturally gets bounce. 

They should just ensure that his head is on straight and carefully manage his workload. Should not go the Mitchell Marsh way.

2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

His bowling is not useless. He bowls a tight line and has bowled fast this season and naturally gets bounce. 

They should just ensure that his head is on straight and carefully manage his workload. Should not go the Mitchell Marsh way.

I meant that his bowling is superfluous since he's good enough to get selected as a pure batter. Choice of words wasn't optimal - should have been "superfluous" instead of "useless". What I meant by the latter is that his bowling does not detract from his value even as a pure bat.

1 hour ago, Frustrated said:

Only a matter of time that Smith gets his form back. Might get a century here in tough situation as well.  Unlike loli who has completely forgotten how to bat.   Hope Go Digit Insurance hires loli with handsome package. :laugh:  And ends the torture for us.    

if he rediscovers his form, the root vs smith battle will be like federer vs nadal. kohli & williamson will be andy murray.

So smith finally gets his hundred but he is quite inconsistent these days. Has 28 now i feel if he gets back to good form he might retire with 35 test hundreds or 30-31. Still will be behind root though in terms of most stats.

FXJEdx0aQAQE_zk?format=jpg&name=small

1 minute ago, Nikola said:

So smith finally gets his hundred but he is quite inconsistent these days. Has 28 now i feel if he gets back to good form he might retire with 35 test hundreds or 30-31. Still will be behind root though in terms of most stats.

yes, because root plays more tests and also didn't get any bans. root is more like Cook in accumulating large numbers, but a highly upgraded version (of cook).

14 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Naah. He's 33 now. Can play easily for 4 more years and will retire at 40-45 100s with 55+ average.

9 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Naah. He's 33 now. Can play easily for 4 more years and will retire at 40-45 100s with 55+ average.

This is his 2nd hundred post ashes series so hundreds are not coming easily for him at this stage. Tough india tour awaits for him as well. I don't think he has it in him to score ~15 more test hundreds even if he hits another peak of couple of years. Btw i don't think any player of fab four will hit 40+ test centuries.

Edited by Nikola
18 hours ago, Nikola said:

Ball tampering break really took the wind out of the sail.