5th test Ind-Eng , Jul 1-5 Birmingham- pre-match discussion. Who replaces Rohit as captain and opener?

Who replaces Rohit  

12 members have voted

1. 1. As opener

• Pujara
    • Mayank
    • Vihari
    • Bharat
    • Others
  2. 2. As Captain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2022 at 03:32 PM

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

We will compensate by poor batting. Last time Bumrah/Shami/Thakur saved us with bat.  Besides they are having Stokes back. Root free of captaincy. By the way his captaincy was atrocious in the first test against us. They indulged in bouncer barrage against Shami/Bumrah and lost the plot. Sure their bowling is toothless on flat tracks. But our batting is toothless on any track right now.

Yes tactics were poor but our tail doesn't struggle with trundlers in general. Only wood was fast but he sucks.

6 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Team selection will go a long way to determine the winner for this game.

I would be interested in your team and also @Vijy team here.

Here is mine:

Rohit
Gill

Pujara
Kohli
Iyer

Pant

Jaddu/Ash
Thakur/Ash
Bumrah

Shami
Siraj

India desperately need one of the top order to anchor the innings and score 100+ so the team can build a total around them.

Gill/Iyer can do this.

Unfortunately Kohli will play for us is the assumption.

Kohli and Bumrah/Shami/Siraj the wickets. Mind you I have more confidence of Bumrah and Shami outscoring Kohli.

Ash plays dependent on wicket and availability of Jaddu.

Jaddu and Thakur is almost the equivalent of a batsman here.

4 pace bowlers and spinner is the key.

what you wrote is not the most likely XI. Most likely XI will have Rahane (somehow) for Iyer and KL for Gill.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

what you wrote is not the most likely XI. Most likely XI will have Rahane (somehow) for Iyer and KL for Gill.

Probably, I live in fantasy land where my head is up my arse, thinking that the BCCI/TM will select the correct squad/Team for the 5th Test.

What absolutely infuriates me is that Team India has the capacity to win matches but is hamstrung by selection.

Its getting to the stage where all I know for a certainty is the stupid face that Kohli will make when he gets out to mystery ball of the "century"/2022, like it was an unplayable delivery. How can people still be sucked in and believing his antics? Everytime he gets out, its like the ball was somewhat magical to get him out.

2 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Probably, I live in fantasy land where my head is up my arse, thinking that the BCCI/TM will select the correct squad/Team for the 5th Test.

What absolutely infuriates me is that Team India has the capacity to win matches but is hamstrung by selection.

Its getting to the stage where all I know for a certainty is the stupid face that Kohli will make when he gets out to mystery ball of the "century"/2022, like it was an unplayable delivery. How can people still be sucked in and believing his antics? Everytime he gets out, its like the ball was somewhat magical to get him out.

his antics are what convince cricketards like cricinfo that he's still "in form" and being done in by ATG bowling

5 hours ago, SRT100 said:

He is still milking the solid run of 3 years.  People have to start getting louder about his pre-dominantly frontfoot technique. So far Sanju manju is the only one who have pointed out.  It is hard for anyone to change his style suddenly. But there are ways people have done that. Ganguly during his second stint changed his stance, His defense became more solid than ever. He looked secure at the crease. Made 239 against Pakistan. India suffered a top order collapse. Over 1000 runs at an average of 60 in that calendar year. That was the year before he retired. But he was given a break before coming back. I doubt Kohli will ever be dropped like that.

9 hours ago, Sgattick10 said:

When is the 3rd test betn Eng and NZ? 

Hoping Kohli will get his form back. Rest God knows.. Rohit had terrible IPL, Gill could go either way, Pujara will do tuk tuk playing 70 odd balls with the score going nowhere.. Vihara/Iyer untested. 

June 23-27 

3 days rest

They will be primed to meet India fresh from a real Test practice :fear:

Hopr Jamieson and Boult break some bones of Eng bats

41 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He is still milking the solid run of 3 years.  People have to start getting louder about his pre-dominantly frontfoot technique. So far Sanju manju is the only one who have pointed out.  It is hard for anyone to change his style suddenly. But there are ways people have done that. Ganguly during his second stint changed his stance, His defense became more solid than ever. He looked secure at the crease. Made 239 against Pakistan. India suffered a top order collapse. Over 1000 runs at an average of 60 in that calendar year. That was the year before he retired. But he was given a break before coming back. I doubt Kohli will ever be dropped like that.

It is ridiculous to say that Kohli is all about three years and is still milking it. You don't score  more international 100s than anyone other than Sachin without being great.He did all that without having any backfoot game and with the same technique.

We have never seen any player drop off the cliff like this guy.This is the same guy who could score an odi 100 in his sleep, You are right that he needs to go back and find what is missing from his game.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

It is ridiculous to say that Kohli is all about three years and is still milking it. You don't score  more international 100s than anyone other than Sachin without being great.He did all that without having any backfoot game and with the same technique.

We have never seen any player drop off the cliff like this guy.This is the same guy who could score an odi 100 in his sleep, You are right that he needs to go back and find what is missing from his game.

Alright 4 years it is. That is when he hit the peak. Made over 4000 runs hit 16 centuries averaging 66.  2016-2019.  Outside this period only once he had a calendar year average over 50.  In the 80s batsmen were never allowed to have 3 year rut no matter what they did in the past. GR Viswanath case in point. Dropped forever after one bad series. Here we have been backing trimurthis endlessly. Kohli 3 years on the trot having a lean patch.  This probably should be his last chance to keep his place.

29 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Alright 4 years it is. That is when he hit the peak. Made over 4000 runs hit 16 centuries averaging 66.  2016-2019.  Outside this period only once he had a calendar year average over 50.  In the 80s batsmen were never allowed to have 3 year rut no matter what they did in the past. GR Viswanath case in point. Dropped forever after one bad series. Here we have been backing trimurthis endlessly. Kohli 3 years on the trot having a lean patch.  This probably should be his last chance to keep his place.

GR Viswanath was not even patch on this guy, let us pump breaks. You don't have to avg 50 every year.Kohli's problems are his last three years.The fall has been so dramatic.

He needs to go from all formats, But it does not mean he was not a great player.

38 minutes ago, putrevus said:

GR Viswanath was not even patch on this guy, let us pump breaks. You don't have to avg 50 every year.Kohli's problems are his last three years.The fall has been so dramatic.

He needs to go from all formats, But it does not mean he was not a great player.

In ODIs he is truly a great. In Tests he is just okay. Many have had good patches. He has an away average of 42. Home average of 61.  Went missing in many key matches especially low total chases.

40 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

In ODIs he is truly a great. In Tests he is just okay. Many have had good patches. He has an away average of 42. Home average of 61.  Went missing in many key matches especially low total chases.

This decade tests have been played on pitches which have been so bowler friendly unlike any time in history of cricket.His away avg is all due to his fall in last three years.Viv Richards has 24 100s and other than his greatest year in 1976.  His avg was less than 50 in many years but nobody calls him a ordinary test players. 

100 tests in good enough sample size for greatness.Kohli was great in all formats which is a rarity these days.

Edited by putrevus
5 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Ganguly had a good front foot game and a pretty decent back foot one to atleast on the offside, he could pull but not hook, kohli on the offside has no back foot scoring shots, another thing is he made a lot of runs flicking from his pads during 2016-2019 period, bowlers barely ever bowl straight to him now, he gets out hooking quite often, with slower reflexes, bad judgement outside off and no more freebies on the pads, the only way kohli will score would be to cut down on every shot bar the tuck away and pull, later cashing on with the spinners.

3 hours ago, Mesky99 said:

Ganguly had a good front foot game and a pretty decent back foot one to atleast on the offside, he could pull but not hook, kohli on the offside has no back foot scoring shots, another thing is he made a lot of runs flicking from his pads during 2016-2019 period, bowlers barely ever bowl straight to him now, he gets out hooking quite often, with slower reflexes, bad judgement outside off and no more freebies on the pads, the only way kohli will score would be to cut down on every shot bar the tuck away and pull, later cashing on with the spinners.

He still has to find an answer to regulation off spin. I still can't fathom how he completely misses the most basic off spin delivery. Worst case you edge it to close in fielder. How can you completely miss the line.