5th test Ind-Eng , Jul 1-5 Birmingham- pre-match discussion. Who replaces Rohit as captain and opener?

Who replaces Rohit  

12 members have voted

1. 1. As opener

• Pujara
    • Mayank
    • Vihari
    • Bharat
    • Others
  2. 2. As Captain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2022 at 03:32 PM

On 6/28/2022 at 12:00 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

And given his fitness, he may be able to regain his touch.  But, he needs to be given a long break to work things out in domestics and train with some batting experts who can dissect and correct his flaws.  Then, one stellar domestic season and he can be back.   But, hamare yahaan, dropping a longtime player is construed as complete bayzddi for the player.  Not going to happen. 

Even Ganguly was dropped , nothingwrong  in being dropped.Nobody is bigger than the team.

Edited by putrevus
2 hours ago, Vijy said:

doesn't matter much which combo plays. I don't see any of our squad standing up to Andie and Barbie in swinging conditions

Ghanta! Broad is done and dusted and is probably at the level of Ishant Sharma 2015. 

Real threats are going to be Potts and Jimmy. Overton too (if he plays) shouldn't be too big a concern. 

3 hours ago, Majestic said:

In a decider there is every chance that Bumrah may stink.

he dint vs aussies twice in BG series. he did well in england too. only stinker was n.z series post injury and the joke WTC one off final. for red ball format i mean.

He has been good everywhere else. Even in s.africa he actually bowled well. he was let down by siraj injury in test 2 and umesh in test 3. Not to mention our woeful batting. pitches got better to bat on as days progressed. 

He does stink in LOI for sure but i feel tests is where he truly excels like cummins. hopefully he fires. 

13 hours ago, Norman said:

Ghanta! Broad is done and dusted and is probably at the level of Ishant Sharma 2015. 

Real threats are going to be Potts and Jimmy. Overton too (if he plays) shouldn't be too big a concern. 

he picked up his wkts at 35. not a bad avg, for someone who will mostly support andie and pottie

16 hours ago, Jay said:

i think nether will play. barbie is washed up has been. andy trundles after 6 odd overs. just need to patient with that idiot. 

potts is average as phuck.

ollie is a trundler 

overton is good but i dont think he will play and lacks experience

but we seem to struggle vs trundlers. maybe stokes trundler will make it hard for us this time. curran did it in 2018. we owned him the next time we faced him. hopefully we can stand up to average bowlers like potts etc. 

fake shami wannabe lol.

these trundlers will be good enough for kohli and co in their home conditions.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

has there ever been a case where a player has drastically improved his ability to play short pitch bowling in the late 20s from being a total newb vs bounce? cant think of any. 

amarnath was good player of short pitched bowling, but arguably not great. and in his 30s, he became one of the best ever of that era (and later eras too)

Should be The end of Rohit's test career.  We should groom others at home for Aus 2025 tour.  Time to give a looooong run to Gill. 

Pujara as opener won't be bad if he stays on & faces out Jimmy. 

India should be happy with no Woakes.  Potts & Broad should be manageable 

23 hours ago, Jay said:

he dint vs aussies twice in BG series. he did well in england too. only stinker was n.z series post injury and the joke WTC one off final. for red ball format i mean.

He has been good everywhere else. Even in s.africa he actually bowled well. he was let down by siraj injury in test 2 and umesh in test 3. Not to mention our woeful batting. pitches got better to bat on as days progressed. 

He does stink in LOI for sure but i feel tests is where he truly excels like cummins. hopefully he fires. 

In Aussies, he got a niggle so was unavailable for Gabba test. Sure if that helped us winning the game but not sure if that contribution of getting niggled counts.

In England, we have a decider still to come.

In South Africa and WTC vs NZ, he bottled.

5 hours ago, Majestic said:

He will survive for 100 balls.

26 minutes ago, The Realist said:

And make 5 runs. Rather give Dinesh Karthik a run out than persisting with a finished Pujara.

I would be fine for Pujara surviving 100 balls but we have so many liabilities in our batting lineup that, while we may not lose a wicket and score very little, when the new ball comes again, we can be bowled out for easily under 200, such is our strike out while batting.

Kohli will make less than 40, no doubt about that. In fact I would take a score of 30 now, if offered it. He is a walking wicket in Test Cricket in English conditions against good swing bowlers.

Pujara surviving 100 balls is fine, if we have stroke players to bat around him down the order.

England will smash us. Nothing is surer.

4 hours ago, SRT100 said:

I would be fine for Pujara surviving 100 balls but we have so many liabilities in our batting lineup that, while we may not lose a wicket and score very little, when the new ball comes again, we can be bowled out for easily under 200, such is our strike out while batting.

Kohli will make less than 40, no doubt about that. In fact I would take a score of 30 now, if offered it. He is a walking wicket in Test Cricket in English conditions against good swing bowlers.

Pujara surviving 100 balls is fine, if we have stroke players to bat around him down the order.

England will smash us. Nothing is surer.

root will be itching for more smashing.