Takeaways from the series

There was nothing great to take away from this series. This batting line up has no firepower.Depending on DK for late innings heroics is recipe for disaster. Three WKS in playing eleven is very excessive, need to narrow it to one and use other two spots to have options to create more balance.

They had 3 wicket keepers in 2019 semis also and we all know how it ended.

My biggest take away is Dravid will ruin all the fast bowling culture which has been the only strong point of this team.

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

My biggest issue is that ... many of the players selected in the playing 11 are not ideal for Australian conditions. 

Giving players a fair run is important ... but before that, the players selected have to be apt too. 

Guys who are suitable for Australian conditions are not in form. That is a conundrum.   Rohit/Kohli.  Besides we don't even know who will be suitable in these parts. If you face Cummins/Starc/Hazlewood in 5 matches that argument will hold true. That is not going to be the case. Australia will be a foreign country for all teams except Australia, 

We are not playing Australia in the first round. Apart from SA no other team is going to bully us with bouncers.

India vs Pakistan at MCG

India vs Qualifying team

India vs SA at Perth

India vs BD at Adelaide Oval

Perth has hosted only one T20 in their history where Australia trounced Pakistan. Starc took out Rizwan/Babar in successive balls with fast and full deliveries.  sounds familiar? Something our top order is notoriously vulnerable against. Fast and full.  I am more worried about those kind of deliveries. Channel deliveries. I am happy if they attempt to bounce us out. That will take away lot of wicket taking options.

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Only real positive was DK reaffirming his class as a finisher in this format. For a team like India which is yet to crack the T20 batting code having a player like him is a big positive. 

SKY, Pandya, DK looks like a good MO. Need one more option, who could that be? Haven't watched much cricket in last one year, so dunno about Hooda.

Hooda use to have short ball problem but looks to have improved a lot , i havent seen him in any sought of trouble in last yr or so against short ball or either he hasnt been tested enough. 

Plus he can bowl part time spin and go after spinners big time. Not at all a bad option 

4 hours ago, putrevus said:

There was nothing great to take away from this series. This batting line up has no firepower.Depending on DK for late innings heroics is recipe for disaster. Three WKS in playing eleven is very excessive, need to narrow it to one and use other two spots to have options to create more balance.

They had 3 wicket keepers in 2019 semis also and we all know how it ended.

My biggest take away is Dravid will ruin all the fast bowling culture which has been the only strong point of this team.

Yes. You need 2 or 3 finishers. Relying on just one finisher is suicidal. What if he gets out? What then?   I hope Chahar somehow finds some form and waltz back into the side which will gives us depth without loss of bowling potency. Having Bumrah, Avesh/Harshal, Bhuvi, Chahal as last 4 batsmen is not at all ideal. IT will force someone like DK play cautiously something you don't want. Adding Jadeja will only elongate our tail.  2 out of batsmen up the order. This team is not winning anything. 

4 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Hooda use to have short ball problem but looks to have improved a lot , i havent seen him in any sought of trouble in last yr or so against short ball or either he hasnt been tested enough. 

Plus he can bowl part time spin and go after spinners big time. Not at all a bad option 

Playing in a team which had Rahul and QDk opening helps a lot. Opposition not gonna use their best bowlers on Hooda but use it to get those two. And Hooda is a right handed batsman too.

Anyways, at 4, he is a fine option as he can bash spin with ease and bowl a couple of overs of off spin which India needs( Jadeja and Yuzi both take the ball away from right handers).

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Yes. You need 2 or 3 finishers. Relying on just one finisher is suicidal. What if he gets out? What then?   I hope Chahar somehow finds some form and waltz back into the side which will gives us depth without loss of bowling potency. Having Bumrah, Avesh/Harshal, Bhuvi, Chahal as last 4 batsmen is not at all ideal. IT will force someone like DK play cautiously something you don't want. Adding Jadeja will only elongate our tail.  2 out of batsmen up the order. This team is not winning anything. 

Aussies should play :

jhye at 7 he can slog

Cummins at 8 can slog

Starc at 8 can slog

Coulter Nile at 10. 

hazletrundler at 10

All out pace. Why do teams do this more often??

I would like to see India go with this in australia. Zero spinners. * sake. We don't need spinners. Only a leg spinner max if he is good. Not chahali. Maybe Kully. 

7 thakur can slog

8 mohsin can slog

9 tyagi can slog

10 ummi malik

11 bumrah 

All out pace. * spin. Don't need spin. 

11 hours ago, Gollum said:

Only real positive was DK reaffirming his class as a finisher in this format. For a team like India which is yet to crack the T20 batting code having a player like him is a big positive. 

SKY, Pandya, DK looks like a good MO. Need one more option, who could that be? Haven't watched much cricket in last one year, so dunno about Hooda.

Lack of lefties is a problem for us in all formats of the game. We can't have a top half cake + icing with none of them. The thing which atm works most in Pants favor. 

Who the extra AR should be is also something which will depend on what our template is. If it is emphasising outbowling the opposition having bowlers who can't bat adequately is not an issue and the team can bat a bit more conservatively. In the recent series we picked bowling ARs who will either not play in the wc - Axar - or not be suited to those specific pitch conditions ie Harshal. We will find a way to shoehorn one or both of Hooda and Venky if the idea is to try to outbat the opposition. 

Edited by rollingstoned
5 hours ago, Majestic said:

Playing in a team which had Rahul and QDk opening helps a lot.

ye kya logic hua ?by that logic indian team also has KL with Kohli-rohit and towards the end they ll save their best for PAndya-DK

Uski to fir yaha bhi aish hai

5 hours ago, Majestic said:

Opposition not gonna use their best bowlers on Hooda but use it to get those two. And Hooda is a right handed batsman too.

I dnt want him in XI but im saying he is not at all a bad option and looks to have improved his weakness so i have respect for that 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Aussies should play :

jhye at 7 he can slog

Cummins at 8 can slog

Starc at 8 can slog

Coulter Nile at 10. 

hazletrundler at 10

All out pace. Why do teams do this more often??

Reasons

• over the history of t20 cricket spinners have been exceptional 
  • they dont want captain to be banned due to overrate
  • To counter top teams u need a mix- match of both kinds. Variety is the key t20................u cant just offer them one kind of bowling. 

how on earth is NCN a better bowler then zampa ???? 

58 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

ye kya logic hua ?by that logic indian team also has KL with Kohli-rohit and towards the end they ll save their best for PAndya-DK

Uski to fir yaha bhi aish hai

I dnt want him in XI but im saying he is not at all a bad option and looks to have improved his weakness so i have respect for that 

KL and QDk is a dream opening pair as far as IPL is concerned. No other team had a better opening pair than this. So, opposition took the middle order of Hooda, Krunal and Badoni with relatively more ease and that helped Hooda to get going and be the rock for LSG in middle orders. He would have faced more stuff challenge had he gotten to come up early every game and face high calibre pace and bounce. 

Playing in a strong team gives that advantage, you won't be getting challenged much with the ball doing a bit and the pitch also having some variable bounce at the start.

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Reasons

• over the history of t20 cricket spinners have been exceptional 
  • they dont want captain to be banned due to overrate
  • To counter top teams u need a mix- match of both kinds. Variety is the key t20................u cant just offer them one kind of bowling. 

how on earth is NCN a better bowler then zampa ???? 

Because pace is pace. I hate spin unless it's top quality wrist spinner. As for Zampa vs ncn. Yes zampa is better but ncn can bat. Hit big.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Because pace is pace. I hate spin unless it's top quality wrist spinner. As for Zampa vs ncn. Yes zampa is better but ncn can bat. Hit big.

pace is overrated unless it express . Ultimately lengths matters and what u do with the ball. U can fear club level cricketers with 140 not international.  If anything batsman will always say they want pace on ball , creating pace in shot is far tougher n needs muscles. 

U hate spin doesnt mean na batsman enjoys it 

Who are our bowlers?

Sure selections are Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar, Harshal Patel and Y. Chahal . Other than that, won't we need 2 more, preferably both seamers, with at least one having the ability to swing the willow?  So, two from Deepak Chahar, Hardik Pandya, Arshdeep Singh, Umran, Thakur, Avesh...?   I don't see anyone else on the horizon.  Natarajan? Hurt.  Mohsin? Won't try.  Tyagi? Disappeared.  Even Chahar is hurt and Pandya is almost a pure batsman at this stage.

I am guessing they will select Ashwin and/or Jadeja because of their refusal to try more seamers in the post-IPL lead-up to the WC.  Sigh ....

13 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

You cannot have three wks and expect to have balance to the team. Next world cup, I would just have DK as WK and Ishan as reserve.Add one more batsman and another batting or bowling allrounder.Personally I have more trust in Jadeja scoring runs or taking wickets in big matches than Pandya. Pandya will always need a caddy to carry him.He has never won matches on his own so far for India and I doubt it will change in future. 

Edited by putrevus
1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

pace is overrated unless it express . Ultimately lengths matters and what u do with the ball. U can fear club level cricketers with 140 not international.  If anything batsman will always say they want pace on ball , creating pace in shot is far tougher n needs muscles. 

U hate spin doesnt mean na batsman enjoys it 

My pace requirement is entirely different. My pace is not just pace. 

When I say I like pace, I mean I like hostile bowling. Pace with bounce. Pace with ability to move the ball at 140 plus is key. Pace with bounce. Consistent bounce 135- 145 is more than enough. 

I dont rate fodder pacers like rauf etc. 145 150 is no use without bounce or movement. Shaheen afridi is useless after first 4 overs in odi and useless after first 5 6 overs In tests. 

His ideal format is t20. He should stick to that. 

On 6/20/2022 at 10:15 PM, Gollum said:

KL is good in MO too.