Time to separate Pant the test superstar from Pant the loi hack.

6 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

Game is perfect for odis provided he is used correctly. He will figure out his game in t20s. It will be tempting to shoehorn him to follow the path Sehwag took but he should be encouraged to be an all format player imo. 

If he doesn't click in T20 it is no big deal. He doesn't have to play that format forcibly. Nobody cares if someone doesn't have a great T20 career. Rightnow guys like Sanju samson, kishan who are never going to play Tests anyway can be utilized more effectively.

19 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

If he doesn't click in T20 it is no big deal. He doesn't have to play that format forcibly. Nobody cares if someone doesn't have a great T20 career. Rightnow guys like Sanju samson, kishan who are never going to play Tests anyway can be utilized more effectively.

Yo honestly think for the next obvious Indian superstar he will give up the most popular format of the game? It's not like he is that bad at it or can't become what we want him to. 

5 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

Yo honestly think for the next obvious Indian superstar he will give up the most popular format of the game? It's not like he is that bad at it or can't become what we want him to. 

That is what IPL is for. He hasn't found a formula to succeed in this format.  He had an opportunity to test himself as opener in the IPL. He didn't do that. One has to assume he is not comfortable with that idea. So he sees himself as a finisher a role which he is yet to crack. Age is on his side. He can always play in a year or two after the exit of old guys. Apart from world T20, leagues this is a meaningless format. He has played 46 T20 international that is fairly a large sample. His strike rate is 123. That is bad.  It is a format you pick whoever is better at a given moment. That's it. In longer formats you can give longer rope based on potential. If Kishan/DK/Samson are better they deserve a chance ahead of him. It will be unfair to other players to give him more chances based on his test accomplishments.

T20 format is the only format as it is an ultra short format where he has to find  a way. When he gives himself enough time like 7 or 8 overs his connection ratio dramatically increases.  I don't know how he he can do that in T20. If he doesn't do that yet , no big deal. It is a ultra pyjama format where he doesn't need a stellar career.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Actually in ODi he is doing well in last 2 yrs. 

told yea he has been doing well in ODIs too 

ab agar har format men acha krna lage with that strike rate and keeping, wont he a perfect cricketer. Their is nothing like a perfect cricketer 

Give him time n right batting spot he ll crack t20 , he has shown that in IPL 

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

told yea he has been doing well in ODIs too 

ab agar har format men acha krna lage with that strike rate and keeping, wont he a perfect cricketer. Their is nothing like a perfect cricketer 

Give him time n right batting spot he ll crack t20 , he has shown that in IPL 

still.. we only need 3 or 4 back to back innings where he goes for a slog and gets out.. 

On 7/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, maniac said:

Time to separate Pant the test superstar from Pant the loi hack.

Pant has been getting a lot of criticism from Indian fans for his IPL and international loi performances. .....as I said there is some merit to that criticism.

still hackish in LOIs. Has an upside still but far from being a regular.

let’s see that with clarity.

So just a couple of weeks ago - you considered Pant not a LOI regular.  Give it a few more days, and you will completely deny that you ever doubted Rishabh and 'always' wanted him in white ball cricket.

I had belief in Pant in ODIs as he was getting into that zone from last 10-12 games only.

In T20s, I am still not sure though as he needs time early on like Rohit Sharma. Will he get that much time and also if he will give himself that much time in this format to get the output right? One thing though that when Pant comes to bat at 3 down early, he will get that much time to take 20 balls before accelerating. So, in such situations, he will be extremely handy. Even Pakistan game as example.

Edited by Majestic
1 hour ago, Majestic said:

I had belief in Pant in ODIs as he was getting into that zone from last 10-12 games only.

In T20s, I am still not sure though as he needs time early on like Rohit Sharma. Will he get that much time and also if he will give himself that much time in this format to get the output right? One thing though that when Pant comes to bat at 3 down early, he will get that much time to take 20 balls before accelerating. So, in such situations, he will be extremely handy. Even Pakistan game as example.

he can get that time if he were to open. however, I don't think there are enough games before T20 WC. moreover, TM will probably play KL as opener along with rohit.