Are we on verge of major breakthrough on Space exploration ?

ravishingravi

On 7/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, Clarke said:

Books padho, they have some proposals on origins

AUFN_LawrenceKrauss.jpeg

Love the title of the book or the headline. When I saw interstellar this came to my mind “why is there something when there can be nothing” that and what is gravity. Unfathomable questions.

There is an awesome video of a theoretical physicist explaining gravity to a 8 year old and then high schooler , a graduate, a final year doctorate , a then a professor and a fellow expert theoretical physicist. Lol the kid knew everything about it no confusions, but as the knowledge grew folks began to question and progressively at the end the scientists knew nothing. Eye opening video I will find and post.

5 hours ago, Vilander said:

So space is like looking into the past. The furtherest we see the furtherest we see into the past of the observable universe. 

the way you bolded that but tells me you are on to something , can you ‘elucidate’ that ?

Not sure if people know that it is capturing images with the light that has traveled billions of light years, so time has elapsed billions of years about what we seen in these pics and hence outdated 

22 hours ago, Vickydev said:

It's about how these images captured are of objects that are 13 billion light years away, so light travelled that many years to reach the telescope. That's the age of the universe. 

Here this would explain it better:

https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/features/cosmic/farthest_info.html#:~:text=We know that light takes,appeared 13 billion years ago.

To add to the second point, it's actually now 46 billion light years away as @Vilanderexplained above in one of the posts, because of the Universe expanding. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/01/25/ask-ethan-how-can-we-see-46-1-billion-light-years-away-in-a-13-8-billion-year-old-universe/

Extremely Interesting. I hadn't the foggiest.

Thanks for sharing the links.

My noob question here is, how does one determine the age of the light that reaches our eyes/telescope?

Basically the stars we see on any given night are where the stars were a few hour/days ago.

I was today years old when I learnt this!!

21 hours ago, Vilander said:

So space is like looking into the past. The furtherest we see the furtherest we see into the past of the observable universe. 

the way you bolded that but tells me you are on to something , can you ‘elucidate’ that ?

I never thought of it that way. Always thought that whatever we see in the night sky/ from a telescope is real time.

12 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

My noob question here is, how does one determine the age of the light that reaches our eyes/telescope?

Basically the stars we see on any given night are where the stars were a few hour/days ago.

By calculating the distance of the star in light years (using redshift or parallax). 1 ly is approx 10^13 km. So the distance in ly is the time in # of years for light to reach us

19 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Yes, the Sun we see is 7 secs late. Some of these stars we see are a few minutes/ hours or days late. 

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

I never thought of it that way. Always thought that whatever we see in the night sky/ from a telescope is real time.

Nights sky is observable to naked eye, what James Webb sees is millions of light years. Light takes millions of years to reach from where ever it is coming from, that’s the measure of the distance. Light year is used since space is ridiculously vast for human units..

7 hours ago, Vilander said:

Nights sky is observable to naked eye, what James Webb sees is millions of light years. Light takes millions of years to reach from where ever it is coming from, that’s the measure of the distance. Light year is used since space is ridiculously vast for human units..

But what we observe in naked eye is also not real-time but a with a time-delay. Stars twinkle but planets like mars, Venus or Jupiter don’t 

On 7/20/2022 at 7:10 AM, ravishingravi said:

When it comes to science or astronomy , I am as informed as Dhruv Rathee is on anything. I don't follow it and it hasn't been my subject.

But lately this open discourse on UFOs followed by the latest images on James Webb has made me wonder if we are on to something. If thing are moving towards break through in terms of finding life outside this planet. The images are astounding.

We just got first images of black hole and now we have white hole. 

Don't expect a major breakthrough. It is always small incremental steps.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:22 PM, coffee_rules said:

But what we observe in naked eye is also not real-time but a with a time-delay. Stars twinkle but planets like mars, Venus or Jupiter don’t 

Yes a few light seconds or minutes away, even sun is like a few mts away. 

I mean space is so *ing vast that we can’t imagine the distances so need movement speed off something as omnipresent as light in our experience to fathom it. 

tells you that what ever entity coded this reality did not really plan for us humans to traverse or chart these distances but we will lol. 

So challenges from nature against human interstellar or inter gallectic travel will be progressively immense and seemingly insurmountable but we gotta keep trying in a way to say * you to the architect of this all ofcourse a endearing * you if you will . 

On 9/27/2022 at 11:36 PM, bharathh said:

In deep impact they could figure out the trajectory of the asteroid in seconds... Here it says they need days or weeks to see if any impact was made... Long way to go

Not bad , in two weeks it was ascertained, that the asteroid did in fact change its trajectory. Next time, if it gets close, we can explode a bunch of nuclear warheads on that and save mother earth! :yay: This is pretty cool!