Will Bangladesh ever be good at cricket?

sage

1 hour ago, sage said:

Why after this long they still haven't matured into a good cricket team? Flashes of brilliance here and there but nothing spectacular considering population and love of the game.

Because they lack a proper long format FC structure.  Bangles made a decision in the 90s to focus on ODI cricket - From what I remember, all their emphasis in domestics is in short format.  Add to that, the extreme over-reliance on spinning tracks and spinners.  They simply haven't built out the system that lays the foundation of a viable competitive strong international team.  Reality is that Windies are also in a similar boat, and now so is Sri Lanka.  South Africa is also showing signs of teetering, but maybe with a successful T20 league, they can somehow re-invest in their FC and keep it viable.  

BD is competitive at home, not much overseas as it relies on a few players to do well. At home, its fringe players can also compete due to familiarity with conditions (much like how Indian domestic players are competitive in familiar conditions at home/IPL). If I am not wrong, some of its players (esp. bowlers) tend to get injured too from time to time. 

It is struggling in Zim but Ind too used to struggle in Zim (including with players like Tendulkar, Dravid, etc). 

PS BD can benefit by arranging more A tours and playing more against top non-Asian teams away from home. 

Edited by zen

They hv improved over the years but are still inconsistent and yet to win a multi-lateral series (such as Asia Cup or ICC tournament). Current struggle against a resurgent Zim side does not help their cause either.     Despite all this, some of their recent displays outside home hv been amazing.  Drew the test series 1-1 with NZ in NZ where all other asian teams hv sucked in last 10 years.  Beat SA 2-1 convincingly in ODI series in SA where we got whitewashed. Whitewashed Windies 3-0 in ODI series last month in Windies.    

2 hours ago, Frustrated said:

They hv improved over the years but are still inconsistent and yet to win a multi-lateral series (such as Asia Cup or ICC tournament). Current struggle against a resurgent Zim side does not help their cause either.     Despite all this, some of their recent displays outside home hv been amazing.  Drew the test series 1-1 with NZ in NZ where all other asian teams hv sucked in last 10 years.  Beat SA 2-1 convincingly in ODI series in SA where we got whitewashed. Whitewashed Windies 3-0 in ODI series last month in Windies.    

That is true,they are literally mercurial

2 hours ago, Frustrated said:

Have you seen the team we picked for s.a series lol. S.a also rested some of their key players vs bangles.

They only rested nortje and rabada vs us who both average 40 and 45 in s.africa for odi.

3 hours ago, Frustrated said:

Despite all this, some of their recent displays outside home hv been amazing. Drew the test series 1-1 with NZ in NZ where all other asian teams hv sucked in last 10 years. Beat SA 2-1 convincingly in ODI series in SA where we got whitewashed. White washed Windies 3-0 in ODI series last month in Windies.

WOW! People have such a weak memory. But I shouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Chakdephatte
5 hours ago, sage said:

Why after this long they still haven't matured into a good cricket team? Flashes of brilliance here and there but nothing spectacular considering population and love of the game.

Population and "love" for the game does not necessarily mean excellence in a sport. Ability to play sports at international level takes more than just population and "love" for the sport under consideration.

The problem with Bangladesh is that they are just not good enough to compete at international level in most sports, including cricket. Instead of accepting this fact with humility and try to address the problem, they live in denial and start attacking those who point out their deficiencies. The fact that Bangladesh will be no good in cricket no matter how long they play it is a fact that I knew from the beginning and pointed it out to anyone who cared to listen. I am not surprised that my prediction has come out right.

The first small step that Bangladeshis can take is to stop living in denial and show the humility to accept their deficiencies. Sadly that is not going to happen. Suggestions, like their national team should play in the first class tournaments of other countries, which has been made here, is not new. BCCI actually made this offer and invited Bangladesh national team to participate in Indian Duleep Trophy in 2005. But BCCB, showing their ego, sent another team. That team was soundly thrashed by East Zone team (weakest zone in Indian domestic cricket and Central zzone (seond weakest zone). After that BCCI gave up trying to help BCCB.

Edited by squarecut
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Have you seen the team we picked for s.a series lol. S.a also rested some of their key players vs bangles.

They only rested nortje and rabada vs us who both average 40 and 45 in s.africa for odi.

We played our full strength ODI team (except Rohit) against SA.  Yet got whitewashed.  

1 hour ago, Frustrated said:

We played our full strength ODI team (except Rohit) against SA.  Yet got whitewashed.  

I partially think that has got a lot to do with how we lost test series in SA.  Team was dejected on losing a winnable Test series.  There was no interest on intensity for those useless games.  Players were going through the motions.  We gifted 1st ODI to them.  Only showed fight in the 3rd game via Deepak Chahar. 

2 hours ago, squarecut said:

Population and "love" for the game does not necessarily mean excellence in a sport. Ability to play sports at international level takes more than just population and "love" for the sport under consideration.

The problem with Bangladesh is that they are just not good enough to compete at international level in most sports, including cricket. Instead of accepting this fact with humility and try to address the problem, they live in denial and start attacking those who point out their deficiencies. The fact that Bangladesh will be no good in cricket no matter how long they play it is a fact that I knew from the beginning and pointed it out to anyone who cared to listen. I am not surprised that my prediction has come out right.

The first small step that Bangladeshis can take is to stop living in denial and show the humility to accept their deficiencies. Sadly that is not going to happen. Suggestions, like their national team should play in the first class tournaments of other countries, which has been made here, is not new. BCCI actually made this offer and invited Bangladesh national team to participate in Indian Duleep Trophy in 2005. But BCCB, showing their ego, sent another team. That team was soundly thrashed by East Zone team (weakest zone in Indian domestic cricket and Central zzone (seond weakest zone). After that BCCI gave up trying to help BCCB.

Welcome back, Squarecut bhai… You’ve hit the nail.

Unless Bangladeshs change their attitude and improve domestic cricket standards, their International cricket performance will be below par…

1 hour ago, asterix said:

Welcome back, Squarecut bhai… You’ve hit the nail.

Unless Bangladeshs change their attitude and improve domestic cricket standards, their International cricket performance will be below par…

Thanks. 

Bangladeshis need to change their attitude vis a vis all sports and in other areas as well. I find them making selective comparisons with India and trying to prove themselves better than India, for example in economy. This delusion will cost them heavily (it already has).

Bangladesh does not win any medals in Asian Games, Commonwealth games and Olympic either. So it is not as if they are a great sporting nation in other sports. They are doing relatively better in cricket mainly because cricket is played seriously only in a few countries. 

Edited by squarecut
22 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Because just like Indians they are not cut out for sports. 

What did I tell in my earlier post. Bangladeshis are not capable of introspection. They start attacking those who point our their deficiencies. Why bring out India ? India has won cricket world cup multiple times, and gold medals in Asian games, Commonwealth games, Olympics etc multiple times. Indians are not cut out for sports, but Bangladeshis are incapable of competing at sports.

Edited by squarecut
18 hours ago, squarecut said:

What did I tell in my earlier post. Bangladeshis are not capable of introspection. They start attacking those who point our their deficiencies. Why bring out India ? India has won cricket world cup multiple times, and gold medals in Asian games, Commonwealth games, Olympics etc multiple times. Indians are not cut out for sports, but Bangladeshis are incapable of competing at sports.

Chacha thoda rest karlo. 

Bangladesh kahan se aa gaya beech mai, smjha nahi mai. 

Forget about Tests. Let us focus on LOI games.  They always lacked power hitting.  It is almost like BD works twice harder for each run compared to big teams. 

Strike rates of BD boys in ODI and T20 against non-minnows

Rahim   79.12 &  115.44

Tamim  78.55 & 116.96

Shakib 82.25  & 120.86

Mahamadulla  88.60 & 125.69

Sowmya Sarkar  97.35  & 122.15

In T20 this is a very very poor strike rate as a team when you see these were the main players for them. They largely rely on their bowling rolling over opposition for low scores.