India in 1950 vs India today

BacktoCricaddict

No, i think and agree with you that india needs a diversified energy basket. Renewables are not trustworthy.

Nuclear has to be part of the equation. But as we import most nuckear fuel it becomes a bottleneck. 

I think coal atm is the only fuel india can use which we can achieve independence on. That too our output needs to double. But there are major pollutipn costs to pay.

China is in the same boat as India. Dont want to be too reliant on Russia etc for fuel but no real choice apart from polluting coal which acts as a backbone. 

1 hour ago, G_B_ said:

No, i think and agree with you that india needs a diversified energy basket. Renewables are not trustworthy.

Nuclear has to be part of the equation. But as we import most nuckear fuel it becomes a bottleneck. 

I think coal atm is the only fuel india can use which we can achieve independence on. That too our output needs to double. But there are major pollutipn costs to pay.

China is in the same boat as India. Dont want to be too reliant on Russia etc for fuel but no real choice apart from polluting coal which acts as a backbone. 

I think the agreement with Australia with regards to coal & nuclear ores assumes quite some importance towards diversifying energy source for India

PS: Canada could have been one of the alternative, but with khalistani influence , it's unreliable 

I think there is potential for renewables to be a core contributor in India, maybe 2-3 decades down the line. Imagine something like har ghar solar. We'd generate so much more energy in daytime. Its a tall order to get that many panels and some storage mechanism at grid level to capture daytime generation but the possibilities are enormous. 

20 hours ago, diga said:

I think the agreement with Australia with regards to coal & nuclear ores assumes quite some importance towards diversifying energy source for India

PS: Canada could have been one of the alternative, but with khalistani influence , it's unreliable 

Your still reliant on an external actor. 

One of the reasons why Russia can get away with sanctions is cause they have secure in terms of food and energy. 

There are chinks in their armour in terms of medicines etc but they get that on the grey market from china.

Militarily one can say there have been major setbacks for Russia but economically things have been very very resiliant. Much more than the west give them credit for. I remember reading articles saying sanctions would bring Russia to its knees. Western Europe appears to be shitting a bigger brick atm.

If india wants a muscular external and internal posture, independence in both food and energy is key. 

6 hours ago, Clarke said:

I think there is potential for renewables to be a core contributor in India, maybe 2-3 decades down the line. Imagine something like har ghar solar. We'd generate so much more energy in daytime. Its a tall order to get that many panels and some storage mechanism at grid level to capture daytime generation but the possibilities are enormous. 

Its already cost effective to produce solar. But questions of how to storage the energy at night etc arise.

Coal is the only fuel which India can switch on and off like a tap.

53 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Your still reliant on an external actor. 

One of the reasons why Russia can get away with sanctions is cause they have secure in terms of food and energy. 

There are chinks in their armour in terms of medicines etc but they get that on the grey market from china.

Militarily one can say there have been major setbacks for Russia but economically things have been very very resiliant. Much more than the west give them credit for. I remember reading articles saying sanctions would bring Russia to its knees. Western Europe appears to be shitting a bigger brick atm.

If india wants a muscular external and internal posture, independence in both food and energy is key. 

51 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Its already cost effective to produce solar. But questions of how to storage the energy at night etc arise.

Coal is the only fuel which India can switch on and off like a tap.

Still a long way to go before we are self reliant in energy ...  I dont think our coal supplies can support our energy demands in the interim and we need to depend on one of the larger nations like Canada or Australia . 

A very good talk on our economy at 75. Punjab is going backwards, we have East west divide in wealth and not north- south. Vietnam has 75% labor participation, while India has barely 50%. India has half of them from 18-60 not looking for work. 

Grad unemployment is at a tipping point. Kerala has 13% unemployment while nation average is 7%

38 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

A very good talk on our economy at 75. Punjab is going backwards, we have East west divide in wealth and not north- south. Vietnam has 75% labor participation, while India has barely 50%. India has half of them from 18-60 not looking for work. 

Grad unemployment is at a tipping point. Kerala has 13% unemployment while nation average is 7%

Towards the end, she rips the bad "corruption index" rating that India has received.  Impressively commonsensical. Resonates with me ... I have spent decades screaming myself hoarse in arguments with other Amreeki desis when they complain about "lack of civic sense" in India and how much civic sense there was in the US.  My contention? It's the resources, stupidoes. 

There's 4x as much land and 0.25 as much population = 16x as much per capita resource in the US.  Of course, they don't hustle for everything

.... until of course we ran out of toilet paper in Jan 2020.

13 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Towards the end, she rips the bad "corruption index" rating that India has received.  Impressively commonsensical. Resonates with me ... I have spent decades screaming myself hoarse in arguments with other Amreeki desis when they complain about "lack of civic sense" in India and how much civic sense there was in the US.  My contention? It's the resources, stupidoes. 

There's 4x as much land and 0.25 as much population = 16x as much per capita resource in the US.  Of course, they don't hustle for everything

Yes, that was the best part about bad indices that is used both for propping a Govt or bashing it. I hate the ones that compares happiness index among countries. That is so subjective and deeply cultural as well. Bhutan is #1 in that index, I think. I will dig up those journal articles she mentioned about questing these badly researched, lazy work behind popular indices.

Also surprising is the fact that in reality, India is 65% urban although for policy decisions by the exec, media etc  it is still considered 35% urban. . 

On 8/19/2022 at 5:12 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

So, @gattaca , are you a geneticist/molecular biologist as your moniker suggests? 

hijacking my own thread :-).

No sir. I am a farmer’s son and love anything agriculture.  I find peace and solitude discussing  or growing anything plants or grains. But the story about Norman B stuck with me as india had poor relations with US still he helped india and there was indo pak war during this time.

Edited by gattaca

PL 480 (Public Law 480) or the Food for Peace program was/is a piece of American legislation, where on the basis of certain parameters the US govt decides which countries should be the biggest recipients of US food(and fodder) aid.

In 1955, India fought a case insisting that she be added to the Food for Peace program because she met all the conditions that were necessary to receive aid. :(( 

Fali Nariman successfully litigated in that case.

In 1991, India achieved self sufficiency and opted out of the PL 480 program. The first country to do so and the only country to do so till 2018, when a few more countries opted out of the program.

Today, many countries (mainly African and Central/Latin American) which were beneficiaries of the PL 480 prefer to get Indian food grains in aid.

:isalute:

On 8/23/2022 at 1:28 AM, BacktoCricaddict said:

Although corruption & civic sense are two diff matters, your perception on the latter is nonsense. The less said for instance about road manners & public hygiene, the better. People in luxury cars also litter the road and go 150 kmph on a public highway or drive on the wrong side of the road. What sort of paucity are they facing, dustbins or private jets/helis ? The middle and upper classes traveling in air conditioned trains and blast their mobile phones in the middle of the night. Is there a shortage of headphones in the country ? 

Its entirely a mindset in my opinion. I've seen the same set of people who queue up in the US while boarding the international flight form a semicircle while boarding the domestic connecting flight in India. They don't want to change as far as possible. As the famous philosopher sallu bhai would put it "apna kaam banta, bhaad mein jaaye janta". 

The westerners are different in that they're far more systematic relatively speaking. Now that system is abused by them in many ways, slavery was a legal institution, the genocide was based on laws and so are military interventions in foreign affairs. But at the end of the day we do have a problem on civic sense. Other countries with not many resources aren't so dirty or accident prone.  

/RANT