For NRIs - do you feel like you belong in the place you now call home?

bharathh

It depend upon individuals. As for me, I have zero issues living overseas. Many countries are highly multicultural where people from all over the world assimilate. 

In India, people are targeted for their caste, religion, economic status, sex (women exploitation), position (for e.g. a boss thrashing/threatening his/her subordinate), etc. So if these type of folks get targeted overseas, it is not an issue. 

24 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

You can’t generalize based on a few experiences. I have lived half my life here now (briefly for 2 years in India), known many in the southern belt, Midwest in non-IT fields, making it happen perfectly well. Merit is king here, it is tough to get a break in academia/tenure unless you are super good, like @BacktoCricaddict

About OP, yes for me living in India, I didn’t miss any of the comforts that I had here, but I am not alone, have to make some sacrifices for kids future. For all these years, I never felt like going back because of some odd racist hate mongers. I have made peace and call this my home I make up for missing India by doing a lot of activism / charity work that helps India indirectly. Will probably retire in India and die there!

Thank you ... but I am just an average SOB.  Bharath is right.  Getting a tenure-track position at a prestigious research-heavy institution (R-01) is near-impossible.  But it is that way for everyone (1 in 100 post-docs get one in the life-sciences), regardless of national origin.  What helped me was the realization early on in grad school that I loved teaching and being a research-leader was not my thing.  I sought out TAships as a grad student and volunteered as a teacher during my post-doctoral training.  This opened doors (less-prestigious doors, but doors nonetheless) in smaller primarily undergraduate teaching institutions. Most scientists of Indian/Chinese origin will not apply for the "less prestigious" teaching job that I got and love, and often find themselves stuck in the post-doc rut looking for a R-01 job.    

I can talk about this all day ... but my semester started this week ... hence posting volume is down ... and I'd better go before I get fired from the one job that I can do with some competency :-).

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

From what I hear...  Overall the eastern asian countries are the worst for outsiders & it goes up a notch when u are South Asian(Indo/Pak) .  They are extremely homogenous societies & will never accept a outsider totally & are highly racist bunch of people..  Japs are the worst.  These Western countries are miles miles better when it comes to such things. 

In my college days I found the Nigerian/African origin folks studying here hang out with their own group mostly & are not too comfortable around us Indians.  They are cool bunch overall but u can sense they maintain the boundary with us. 

37 minutes ago, zen said:

It depend upon individuals. As for me, I have zero issues living overseas. Many countries are highly multicultural where people from all over the world assimilate. 

In India, people are targeted for their caste, religion, economic status, sex (women exploitation), position (for e.g. a boss thrashing/threatening his/her subordinate), etc. So if these type of folks get targeted overseas, it is not an issue. 

I have lived and worked in India, never faced any of it. Boss thrashing subordinates etc , but I was in white collar jobs, so it depends . Yes, women have major issues living in India comparatively. There are so many social boundaries they have to live by. 

15 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

From what I hear...  Overall the eastern asian countries are the worst for outsiders & it goes up a notch when u are South Asian(Indo/Pak) .  They are extremely homogenous societies & will never accept a outsider totally & are highly racist bunch of people..  Japs are the worst.  These Western countries are miles miles better when it comes to such things. 

In my college days I found the Nigerian/African origin folks studying here hang out with their own group mostly & are not too comfortable around us Indians.  They are cool bunch overall but u can sense they maintain the boundary with us. 

Africans face a lot of racism in India. People think they are all drug-peddlers. 

42 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Africans face a lot of racism in India. People think they are all drug-peddlers. 

Yes maybe that's the reason...  North East people used to be treated badly a few years ago too.. But thankfully social media has managed to break a lot of barriers.  They are amazing people to hang out with 

Being born and raised in the UK I will always think that it's my home. I like the law and order, opportunities and even the weather! People are generally polite. 

Still I can't say i fully belong here. It's clear that when non whites start moving to an area the whites start moving out, also known as white flight. Indians like to think that they're better perceived than Pakistanis by whites here but still the whites do not want to live amongst us. 

You see more and more Indians move to an affluent white area and the same thing happens again and again. This is why I'm fine living in an Indian majority area. 

Most people of Indian origin feel this way I think. We're caught between two places. The ones whose parents are born here have fewer feelings towards India. 

Going back to the video, I found all Hispanic groups to be rude in America, whether it's the Mexicans in california, the Puerto Ricans in New York or the Cubans in miami. 

Coward Khalistani abusing Hindu man in Fremont CA. Such incidents are increasing in USA where large number of Indians are thriving. Had the guts to record it for 8 mins

You bathe in cow urine”, “Nasty Sh*t”: Hindu-American man faces vile abusive attack in a California Taco Bell, Police yet to arrest abuser

Edited by coffee_rules

12 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Coward Khalistani abusing Hindu man in Fremont CA. Such incidents are increasing in ISA where large number of Indians are thriving. Had the guts to record it for 8 mins

You bathe in cow urine”, “Nasty Sh*t”: Hindu-American man faces vile abusive attack in a California Taco Bell, Police yet to arrest abuser

That person's education level, and his aukaat is very clearly visible in that video.

24 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Coward Khalistani abusing Hindu man in Fremont CA. Such incidents are increasing in ISA where large number of Indians are thriving. Had the guts to record it for 8 mins

Few gurdwaras in US brainwash people. One near says Indian govt sazish kiya and killed Sikhs. He seems like a ABCD truck driver.

40 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Coward Khalistani abusing Hindu man in Fremont CA. Such incidents are increasing in USA where large number of Indians are thriving. Had the guts to record it for 8 mins

what happened btw, the bhikhari's family didn't get MSP ?

Edited by Clarke