"Bowlers Weren't There": Rohit Sharma's Blunt Reply To Question On Mohali Loss

sage

39 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

I remember how well Kartik Tyagi defended six run in a match. He bowled 3 or 4 accurate wide yorkers at decent cliip.  India needs to give chances to such guys. 

Why Bhuvi is an automatic selection is still a mystery.He has done nothing to deserve that status.

2 hours ago, IndianRenegade said:

Need to understand the logic of playing Umesh who came in as a replacement for Shami who is just a stand by in the WC squad. 

let’s say Umesh performed well, how would it have helped our WC prep?

Can't understand the rationale behind that decision, on one hand we want to experiment and fine-tune our combinations but on the other we parachute in a 34 yr old pacer who has never beenn suited to T20 cricket having played only county cricket the past few months and will likely not make any meaningful contributions to our whiteball team going fwd in the near future. I can't blame Umesh for this but the tm, especially if their only reason for doing this is that Shami is injured. 

The attack we have assembled could/can only win on sticky surfaces where the ball doesn't come onto the bat like it often does at the end of the ipl season. Tbf with both Bumrah and Arshdeep in it will make the attack look a lot better and different but it is still a missed opportunity. 

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Bhuvi has been playing T20 for a long time. By now people know what he bowls. Everybody can set themselves up against him. His only variation at this point is slower balls, knuckle balls. Components that are missing 1)  Effort ball  2) Sharp bouncer into the body 3) Yorker (wide or straight yorker) .   Even the only variation he knows, he doesn't execute properly.  He bowled 3 wides. Three extra balls right there.

For the experienced 'spearhead'of the attack to **** himself at the death without fail every time is not a good look. He was not even bowling to his field yday with those wide Yorkers that became extras in the Asia Cup because he couldn't back himself to execute the delivery he needed to properly. How this has escaped the tms notice is beyond me, i was glad that Hitman looked visibly irritated yday. 

Bhuvi looks petrified to attack the bat.Any bowler worth his salt will say, here is my best delivery and if you can hit it. I tip my hat and move on.

Instead all he is trying to do is avoid the bat and is ending bowling wides on both sides.Anyone can see it coming from miles.All he has in his arsenal is wide yorker.Bhuvi's so called death bowling skills never work in international cricket.You still need pace and bounce to be good death bowler.

Same thing with that guy Harshal all he has is slower delivery,  Everyone except mornic selectors and TM know these two guys cannot be successful in Australia.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Bhuvi has been playing T20 for a long time. By now people know what he bowls. Everybody can set themselves up against him. His only variation at this point is slower balls, knuckle balls. Components that are missing 1)  Effort ball  2) Sharp bouncer into the body 3) Yorker (wide or straight yorker) .   Even the only variation he knows, he doesn't execute properly.  He bowled 3 wides. Three extra balls right there.

Not sure why he isn't bowling yorkers more frequently - when he was effective in T20s, he was bowling a lot of accurate yorkers, and at good pace.  He isn't going to be effective without those....

3 minutes ago, nevada said:

But he didn't play at all or played minimally in the recent IPL. Was he injured? 

Played only 2 games. Mostl because Umran was also in the same side. So he was used as a 2nd change bowler not opening.  He has this positive , brisk approach to the crease. Looks up for a challenge. With enough game time he will be a good addition for us.  He is reasonably tall. internet says 6'3".  Pretty sharp, nippy. India needs to form a pace quartet that complement each other. It is easier to achieve when you have Bumrah still playing at his best.

10 minutes ago, nevada said:

But he didn't play at all or played minimally in the recent IPL. Was he injured? 

Tyagi was fit after the first few matches.

But for most matches, barring 2, SRH could manage only 1 slot for a rookie quick bowler and Umran was played. 

Important trundlers occupied the other slots with glee.

23 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Bhuvi looks petrified to attack the bat.Any bowler worth his salt will say, here is my best delivery and if you can hit it. I tip my hat and move on.

Instead all he is trying to do is avoid the bat and is ending bowling wides on both sides.Anyone can see it coming from miles.All he has in his arsenal is wide yorker.Bhuvi's so called death bowling skills never work in international cricket.You still need pace and bounce to be good death bowler.

Same thing with that guy Harshal all he has is slower delivery,  Everyone except mornic selectors and TM know these two guys cannot be successful in Australia.

on flat tracks all these bowlers like Bhuvi and harshal are basically cannon fodder.Australians can hit them with their eyes closed,they are born to play on flat tracks

40 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Not sure why he isn't bowling yorkers more frequently - when he was effective in T20s, he was bowling a lot of accurate yorkers, and at good pace.  He isn't going to be effective without those....

On evidence he is scared. As simple as that.  When he saw Pakistan sloggers moving across to the off side he didn't have the courage to target the stumps. Seems like he doesn't have trust in himself to bowl an yorker. So he just resorts to his easier option of knuckle balls. He doesn't have to be Malinga. He just has to be reasonably accurate.

55 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Yorker is such a potent weapon regardless of what speed you bowl at. Honkong spinner showed that by darting accurate off spinning yorkers. Even for set batsmen it was hard to score off of.  He bowled the 19th over to Kohli and SKY. Conceded 13 including a 6 and a wide. He managed to keep them quiet with yorkers. 

18 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Death bowling is more mental. Tendulkar with limited experience always managed to make the batsmen feel more nervous than himself.  Here he is bowling last over of the match to set Inzamam with them needing 3 runs to win in 6 balls. He gave away 2 runs in the first 5 balls lol  Field sets, slowing things down. It is just an art. 

you have to be a little intimidating as a bowler. Not just fast bowler but even for spinners. Warne used to be hit for a 6 but used to act like he got hit for a 6 on purpose and it was a set up. Sachin too, he used to outfox the batsman and play a mind game due to his aura (frequently used these days).

I know it’s not much but my experience from gully cricket days, there was this guy in my apartments- very good spinner. Even made it to  Haris shield school level (in Mumbai it’s a big deal). His bowling was very intimidating  to us. One day a kid from the next building hit him for 3 6’s and after the match got beat up by him ( non-cricket way). After that it just added to his aura and his bowling was even more difficult.

We need a couple of bowlers like that :)