The Garba debate

coffee_rules

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

For me it's not a fair label to set. Crimes especially like rape are function of culture or law and order of the state. There are Muslims in the south of India in large numbers. Turkey is 95% Muslim state. It's one of the safest places for women. And fairly liberal too. 

Now coming to whether Muslims should or shouldn't be allowed to Garba eventd. Ideally should or shouldn't is not a part of our discourse. Let individual communities take their call. Garba is a religious gathering but also a social event. Men and women can mingle a great deal more easily and also have a good time. 

Should we guard these from Muslim men trying to connect with Hindu women ? I would say let community take the call. I don't discount the apprehension. But a one size fits all approach doesn't work. 

But yes I do believe we need strong reformation voices within Muslim communities for asking same freedom for their women as their men get. If the men can enjoy the Garba ( Strictly Pagan ) , dance to music and mingle with the crowd, I would like the women to have the same freedom. 

Till their book says dance/music is haraam , one cant help much.. except guarding Hindu interests