Kantara - A Masterpiece?

kepler37b

12 hours ago, bharathh said:

Outstanding movie. This year has been a landmark one for the Kannada movie industry. KGF2, Charlie, Kantara. One of the best climax scenes I have ever seen! 

:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:

I am planning for 2nd time, specifically in Original language.  

Easily in top 3 movies of 2022 *.

* For me

Edited by kepler37b

19 hours ago, bharathh said:

Outstanding movie. This year has been a landmark one for the Kannada movie industry. KGF2, Charlie, Kantara. One of the best climax scenes I have ever seen! 

I was distinctly unimpressed with KGF, I don't get why folks like it so much - its 80s old bollywood in new bottle. At best.  

8 hours ago, sandeep said:

I was distinctly unimpressed with KGF, I don't get why folks like it so much - its 80s old bollywood in new bottle. At 

Cinematography and the excellent world building attracted lot of people. 

The concept of a gigantic goldmine controlled by a violent mob that is out of control of government is a unique concept. 

And the Over the top, slick action choreography added to the entertainment.

No wonder it minted money at box office.

8 hours ago, sandeep said:

I was distinctly unimpressed with KGF, I don't get why folks like it so much - its 80s old bollywood in new bottle. At best.  

It was good timepass entertainment that was executed in a slick way. Awesome BGM, cinematography and a weird but different storyline set it apart from a crappy Sallu bhai type of masala entertainer. Yash was awesome at playing a lead with super swag as well. Just an awesome theatre experience. The movie didn't pretend to be a work of art. 

10 hours ago, sandeep said:

Yeah I dont get the hype around some of these south hits, these are as bad as what bollywood produces. I dont watch a lot of movies, but few I have liked from Kannada are not exactly big hits . Lucia is arguably the best Kannada movie I have watched in years, it was crowd funded small budget movie but everything in the movie was original. Garuda Gamana was another great watch followed by Ulidavaru Kandanthe . Charlie 777 and Kantara are on my list. 

Infact thanks to our Nanny whos a Tamil, I end up watching quite a few Tamil movies. in My opinion Tamil overall produces the best movies in the country, a good balance of Masala and Content. 

6 hours ago, bharathh said:

It was good timepass entertainment that was executed in a slick way. Awesome BGM, cinematography and a weird but different storyline set it apart from a crappy Sallu bhai type of masala entertainer. Yash was awesome at playing a lead with super swag as well. Just an awesome theatre experience. The movie didn't pretend to be a work of art. 

one man's "slick swag" is another's cringe fest.  

5 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Yeah I dont get the hype around some of these south hits, these are as bad as what bollywood produces. I dont watch a lot of movies, but few I have liked from Kannada are not exactly big hits . Lucia is arguably the best Kannada movie I have watched in years, it was crowd funded small budget movie but everything in the movie was original. Garuda Gamana was another great watch followed by Ulidavaru Kandanthe . Charlie 777 and Kantara are on my list. 

Infact thanks to our Nanny whos a Tamil, I end up watching quite a few Tamil movies. in My opinion Tamil overall produces the best movies in the country, a good balance of Masala and Content. 

Watch U-Turn

Godi Banna Saadarrna maikattu

Simpleaagi ondu love story (although a lot of coloquial dialogues will be missed in translation)

Kavaludaari

Rangitaranga

Tithi

There are many such movies, low-budget quality movies in Kannada too.

6 hours ago, jusarrived said:

initially wondered about why RRR was getting so much love in the west. Listening to some of the western critics and their perspective  taught  me a new lesson, we are confused what is good and bad because we (educated Indians) do have low self-esteem about ourselves. The masses don’t care. They enjoy the RRR’s and KGF’s of the world with all their hearts while we seem to be conscious about what others think.

having said that I liked RRR more than KGF for the action scenes and music while I personally didn’t like KGF1, so skipped KGF2 completely.

11 minutes ago, maniac said:

Will try to check it out this weekend. Hopefully there is a Telugu version or Hindi version nearby. Hate subtitles because takes away from the essence of the story so would rather watch  a dub 

Lip syncing is most important in movies to connect to the emotions. Hindi version is releasing in November

Telugu and Tamil versions releasing this week. Just saw the movie today. Mindblowing. The format is regular masala, but this is smart writing. Story, direction, screenplay, dialogues and action. Everything gels well. Very humorous as well, Rishab acts as well as directed this movie. Climax is very good too. Don’t want to give away any spoilers. Big theater experience, the sound is extraordinary. A few jump scares as well! South Indian cinema rocks. Northies keep watching your Brahmastras and Adipurushs. The language is coastal Karnataka (Karavali) is superb. I wish the movie was made Tulu which is the language of Kundapur where the story was based of. Might watch it again this weekend 

Edited by coffee_rules

14 hours ago, sandeep said:

one man's "slick swag" is another's cringe fest.  

When it comes to movies - it is always subjective. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. 

For example, I find a lot of movies (esp those nominated for awards) mind-numbingly boring. Doesn't stop others gushing over them. 

8 hours ago, kepler37b said:

The actors came down to Hyderabad, conducted 1 token press met and 1 token interview and they are off to Hindi belt.

:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Do more, participate in game shows, do more interviews and promote extensively. This movie deserves wider promotion and exposure.

Sums up the movie well, got some good promotion from A-listers. This movie is much much better than Pushpa, but the background is similar.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:36 AM, BacktoCricaddict said:

There's a lot of chatter on my WhatsApp groups about how good it is ... then I read the plot and there's some mysticism or something involved.  Not my thing. 

Yes, there is mysticism, but wholesome cinema. Music, dialogues, comedy and finally action 

22 hours ago, kepler37b said:

Cinematography and the excellent world building attracted lot of people. 

The concept of a gigantic goldmine controlled by a violent mob that is out of control of government is a unique concept. 

And the Over the top, slick action choreography added to the entertainment.

No wonder it minted money at box office.

Maybe novelty factor for you. The original Kannada version in the sequel was atrocious, painful with the slow motion shots and slower heroic dialogues. KGF1 was better built up the expectations for the sequel. KGF1 had a Temple of doom feeling and the action in the mines were pretty well shot. In the sequel, Sanjay Dutt and the heroine spoilt the whole movie

14 hours ago, maniac said:

initially wondered about why RRR was getting so much love in the west. Listening to some of the western critics and their perspective  taught  me a new lesson, we are confused what is good and bad because we (educated Indians) do have low self-esteem about ourselves. The masses don’t care. They enjoy the RRR’s and KGF’s of the world with all their hearts while we seem to be conscious about what others think.

having said that I liked RRR more than KGF for the action scenes and music while I personally didn’t like KGF1, so skipped KGF2 completely.

I enjoy unabashed violent action movies like Dead Pool, John Wick, Bullet Train etc . They have a cult following, like Pushpa, KGF, etc

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Sums up the movie well, got some good promotion from A-listers. This movie is much much better than Pushpa, but the background is similar.

With out any doubt, this movie is better than pushpa. Well way beyond pushpa.

The only thing where pushpa scores is Production values. Other than that this is a winner.

That uncle looks like he is still under the trance. Ha ha ...expected.

These B-wood intellectuals don't know what the Indian civilization stands for. For them it is all myths. This is how a westerner explains the concept of Kantara. Not about Beliefs being core to society and how differences in faiths can still be resolved with filtering out the adharmic values. 

For her anything connected to the land is an alien concept.