Kantara - A Masterpiece?

kepler37b

2 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Funking loved it. Bit difficult to follow uttar karnataka dialect. Must watch movie.

After Rakshit now Rishab, kannada movie industry is churning out great movies now. 

There is a Tamil dubbed version, But try to get the dakshina Kannada/ Kundapur accent. Subtitles helped, *in me too

On 10/13/2022 at 12:32 PM, coffee_rules said:

Don't miss the baddie in Sabarimala attire, inisuating that he is from Kerala. There is a lot of animosity in that region against people from Kerala.

Oh I did not make the connection, is it because of the whole 'tantra' ' yantra' Kali angle ? In TN ellai daivam concept is very strong too. This movie will make waves in TN. 

11 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Oh I did not make the connection, is it because of the whole 'tantra' ' yantra' Kali angle ? In TN ellai daivam concept is very strong too. This movie will make waves in TN. 

Just my hunch. Mangalore region has clashes with Kerala region . I have no idea why that guy was shown with an attire associated with Sabarimala. There are a lot of Sabarimala devotees among middle/poor class even in Karnataka (South) , he needn’t have shown that. Nobody has asked him that. 

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Actor - Director- Writer Rishabh Shetty speaking in Tamil. Tagging some Tamilians here @velu @Real McCoy @vvvslaxman @Vilander @Stan AF @ash @Jay

Catch this movie. Guy grew in South Kannada district 

Thanks for tagging man. I am planning to watch this film. Heard many good things about it. As always glad to see south Indian films doing well nationally.

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Nice review. Although, I agree with his interpretation about Shiva the character  and God Shiva , but his interpretation or knowledge of Guliga/Panjurli is different from mine. I feel since he is not from the region, he could interpret it differently. That is the beauty of legendary stories that don’t spoon feed the audience .

I don’t want to use words like Demi-god as used by him and in subtitles as it has more of a Greek/western pagan philosophy . Daiva is more a manifestation of the belief of people who they think or believe will protect them. Kshetrapalak is more apt and it is symbolized by the circle that is demarked when both his dad and he vanishes. 

Also another parallel symbolism I felt was in the name of the characters Shiva, Murali and Devendra Suttooru (landlord) . Devendra is Indra who is egotistic and greedy. Wants to acquire power and wealth and even women all the time in many puranic stories. Also, he is a Vedic god, Maybe there could be a debate about Shaivism/Tantra being superior to Vedic gods  Btw, suttooru also means burnt town/place in Kannade.

The movie definitely has many layers like Asuran. I hope they explore such stories that are more connected to our land. Rishabh’s next movie is called RudraPrayag. No wonder He is being branded as a Sanghi. 

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

Tamizh journalists are confused. The movie according to them is promoting hindutva but also promoting local customs but also being anti brahmin and in line with their caste oppression narrative. 

Makes me love the film even more. You will struggle to create a controversy here. 

After Cholas are not Hindus . Kerala Commies and theNaxalMinute say Bootaradhane is not Hindu. 

https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/kantara-lead-rishab-shetty-says-bhootas-part-hindu-tradition-stirs-controversy-168995

Kantara lead Rishab Shetty says bhootas a part of Hindu tradition, stirs controversy

While ‘Kantara’ has received many positive reviews, it has sparked a discussion about appropriation of non-Hindu cultures in the film.

There is no controversy, just click-bait article. Nobody has said anything about it not being non_hindu. They are trying to cancel him out because he is kind of representing right of center views.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

After Cholas are not Hindus . Kerala Commies and theNaxalMinute say Bootaradhane is not Hindu. 

https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/kantara-lead-rishab-shetty-says-bhootas-part-hindu-tradition-stirs-controversy-168995

Kantara lead Rishab Shetty says bhootas a part of Hindu tradition, stirs controversy

While ‘Kantara’ has received many positive reviews, it has sparked a discussion about appropriation of non-Hindu cultures in the film.

There is no controversy, just click-bait article. Nobody has said anything about it not being non_hindu. They are trying to cancel him out because he is kind of representing right of center views.

Not unexpected. I keep saying this. Periyar and communist have only unleashed generation of mediocre good for nothing activist. They can't do much of value but they do have lot of opinions. 

7 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Nice review. Although, I agree with his interpretation about Shiva the character  and God Shiva , but his interpretation or knowledge of Guliga/Panjurli is different from mine. I feel since he is not from the region, he could interpret it differently. That is the beauty of legendary stories that don’t spoon feed the audience .

I don’t want to use words like Demi-god as used by him and in subtitles as it has more of a Greek/western pagan philosophy . Daiva is more a manifestation of the belief of people who they think or believe will protect them. Kshetrapalak is more apt and it is symbolized by the circle that is demarked when both his dad and he vanishes. 

Also another parallel symbolism I felt was in the name of the characters Shiva, Murali and Devendra Suttooru (landlord) . Devendra is Indra who is egotistic and greedy. Wants to acquire power and wealth and even women all the time in many puranic stories. Also, he is a Vedic god, Maybe there could be a debate about Shaivism/Tantra being superior to Vedic gods  Btw, suttooru also means burnt town/place in Kannade.

The movie definitely has many layers like Asuran. I hope they explore such stories that are more connected to our land. Rishabh’s next movie is called RudraPrayag. No wonder He is being branded as a Sanghi. 

Karnataka is a beautiful place. I have been to Udupi, Manipal, Shringeri, Sravana Belagola, Mangaluru, Kalasa, Bengaluru, Mandya, Mysuru and Jog falls.  I have been to Manipal and Udupi thrice.  Truly it is the best in India. 

I always felt that people were relaxed and valued nature and the land. It is fitting that such a rooted movie has come from them. No one could have made it this good.

Edited by kepler37b