Austin 3:!6

FIFA World Cup 2022 - Discussion Thread

23 hours ago, Forward Defence said:

The 2006 team was great but got outclassed by Zidane. Ronaldinho failed to turn up in the whole tournament which was weird as he was playing freakishly well for Barcelona. Kaka around this time was also very good for AC Milan. Ronaldo was past his prime but Adriano was another crazy good player up front. He had wrecked Argentina in the Confederations cup a year ago.

That match convinced me that Zidane was the greatest of that era.

zidane is one of the GOATs, but I still maintain that brazil choked hard. as you wrote, with a quartet of dinho, adriano, kaka, and ronaldo, they should have won

6 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I haven't watched soccer/football in ages - can someone explain this VAR stuff and why that goal was cancelled?

There's something offensive to me in watching these African athletes who have literally been bred to play football, representing overweight Qataris on the world's biggest stage.  Deeply distasteful.  Modern day slavery it is. 

VAR is like 3rd umpire in cricket. That goal was overturned as off side but it wasn't. It didnt cost much though as Ecuador got a penalty soon and now

1-0 up. The way the match is going, Ecuador will atleast score 2 more before half time. Qatar team is playing like Mohun Bagan :cantstop:

12 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Qatar have naturalized players just like their other sports team

Difference is that these 'naturalized' players were scouted and adopted when they were little children based on their athleticism.  Look into it, its absolutely disgusting.  They went to poor villages in Africa searching out the best possible 'athletic stock' and adopted so many kids.  Its what the chinese did over decades in an effort to churn out olympic medallists, but at least the chinese limited their exploitation to within their own borders.

17 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

VAR is like 3rd umpire in cricket. That goal was overturned as off side but it wasn't. It didnt cost much though as Ecuador got a penalty soon and now

1-0 up. The way the match is going, Ecuador will atleast score 2 more before half time. Qatar team is playing like Mohun Bagan :cantstop:

my interest in 'futbol' is very limited.  But I'm getting some level of pleasure in watching this "qatari" team get outclassed.

On 11/19/2022 at 3:40 PM, Vijy said:

zidane is one of the GOATs, but I still maintain that brazil choked hard. as you wrote, with a quartet of dinho, adriano, kaka, and ronaldo, they should have won

It was actually quite an unbalanced team. Roberto Carlos and Cafu were past their best. Adriano flopped and didn't even feature against France, despite his 3 goals Ronaldo was very fat and out of shape. They lacked a good central midfield playmaker and that's why France dominated them. They foolishly let Deco play for Portugal he was exactly what they were missing. Kaka and Ronaldinho were pretty much forwards and couldn't control matches. Kaka was asked to be a midfield playmaker but really he was just a deep lying striker who ran at defenders with pace and once that pace was gone he became very ordinary. 

The World Cup depends a lot on timing as well, had it been held in 2004 or 2005 I think Brazil would have won. 

As for Zidane he was a very good player but inconsistent. He had some very big moments like his two headers, the champions league final goal and the Brazil game but he didn't always play to that level. Ronaldo9 and Ronaldinho definitely had higher peaks. 

11 hours ago, Ranvir said:

It was actually quite an unbalanced team. Roberto Carlos and Cafu were past their best. Adriano flopped and didn't even feature against France, despite his 3 goals Ronaldo was very fat and out of shape. They lacked a good central midfield playmaker and that's why France dominated them. They foolishly let Deco play for Portugal he was exactly what they were missing. Kaka and Ronaldinho were pretty much forwards and couldn't control matches. Kaka was asked to be a midfield playmaker but really he was just a deep lying striker who ran at defenders with pace and once that pace was gone he became very ordinary. 

The World Cup depends a lot on timing as well, had it been held in 2004 or 2005 I think Brazil would have won. 

As for Zidane he was a very good player but inconsistent. He had some very big moments like his two headers, the champions league final goal and the Brazil game but he didn't always play to that level. Ronaldo9 and Ronaldinho definitely had higher peaks. 

it was unbalanced, but that attack should have done well... better than how it performed. it's easy to speak of the flaws in hindsight, but going into the tourney, most people were going gaga with that 4-man attack.