Austin 3:!6

FIFA World Cup 2022 - Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Is it a football thread of English bootlicking thread lol  Guys tell me which matches will be interesting. I'll try to tune in. I am not familiar with which team is strong.

The same England that came from 5000 miles away and 1/20th the population and ruled us for 150 years? There is something right about them and something wrong about us!  lol  Big Winston Churchill fan here.

You have to do your homework on teams - but if you don't like soccer then you probably don't want to watch. Lot of history there.

I for example like Mexico among other teams like Uruguay - Mexico are a tough team although limited. Have a Brazilian friend who I said Mexico is an ok team 20 years back. He looks at me and says "They have a sh#t team" - after the 7-1 at the Belo Horizonte.... most Brazilians have shut up.

21 minutes ago, AKane said:
37 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Guys tell me which matches will be interesting. I'll try to tune in. I am not familiar with which team is strong.

In the group stages - these matches should be good.... topping the group is important for later path to finals.

England - Wales ( Want to see Gareth Bale... slowed down now though )

Germany - Spain

Belgium - Croatia

Brazil - Serbia

Portugal - Uruguay

Uruguay - Ghana  (Remember the Suarez handball in 2010 WC?)

Portugal - Ghana

Edited by AKane
16 minutes ago, AKane said:

The same England that came from 5000 miles away and 1/20th the population and ruled us for 150 years? There is something right about them and something wrong about us!  lol  Big Winston Churchill fan here.

Worst guy, imo. As bad as Hitler. Single handedly responsible for 3 million Bengalis to die in Bengal famine during WWII. Racist to the core.

e1528b83-c143-4dad-98a5-d8caf0c5e2a2.jpg

35 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Is it a football thread of English bootlicking thread lol  Guys tell me which matches will be interesting. I'll try to tune in. I am not familiar with which team is strong.

My unscientific assessment, based on limited viewings last year:

• Group A: , Ecuador, , Netherlands (Dark Horse: Senegal)
  • Group B: England, Wales (Dark Horse: USA)
  • Group C: Argentina, Poland (Dark Horse: Mexico)
  • Group D: France, Denmark,
  • Group E: Spain, , Germany, (Dark Horse: Costa Rica and I am not sure Japan as they were good at least a few years ago when the WC was held in Korea/Japan in 2002).
  • Group F: Belgium,  Croatia
  • Group G: Brazil, Serbia, Switzerland, (Dark Horse: Cameroon)
  • Group H: Portugal, Uruguay, (Dark Horse: Ghana, South Korea)
1 hour ago, AKane said:

6-2 England .....Whatever anybody says about England - They are there in cricket.... they are there in soccer.... they are there in rugby....

Field Hockey too they are a top 5-6 team.

They have not done exceedingly well in any sport but they are a top tier team in multiple team sports.

Then there are individual sports like Boxing, Tennis, Athletics etc they have been very good at.