ODI batting average - Top 10( Impact factor considered)

Majestic

5 minutes ago, Chakdephatte said:

Problem is that it excludes exceptional performers from each era. Like Viv was like Abd of 80s. His strike rate was unparalleled among contemporaries. But these stats make him look worse than Bairstow, DeCock, Dhawan etc.

Stats are in relation to the era … Viv is like the #1 ODI batsman and he can bowl too 

A long time ago, there was a thread where someone was saying Ross Taylor has as good # as Richards so what is so special about Richards  :facepalm: 

(I usually advise ppl from subcon to stay away from stats) 

Babar is a good stat padder. That is a given. Bit like Hashim Amla. Never misses opportunity to pile up runs in easier batting conditions.  May not have the 4th or 5th gear. But that is not required to have a half decent stat in one dayers. Now that he has hit a low in T20. Will this carry into one dayers?

On 11/19/2022 at 8:01 PM, zen said:

Avg (as players are ranked based on it here) is not the only barometer of “impact” 

Even if I quickly do Avg * SR

ABDV  5353

Babar 5251

Kohli 5244 

What is this.. Ok if we consider runs per innings * SR

Kohli rpi 48.7 * 93 = 4529

Abd rpi 43.9 * 101 = 4433..

Babar azam career sample size small compare to abd n kohli.. So can't compare 

17 minutes ago, Majestic said:

The comparison is done mostly for this era. If we adjust the stats for top batsman of other era as per this era, it would be :

Kohli 57,93

ABD 53,101

Viv 59, 110

SRT 55, 100

Ponting 53, 93

Rohit 48, 89

Dhoni 50, 87

Dhoni sachin played together more than 150+ matches.. How can sachin improved stats that much where as Dhoni stats same 

27 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Dhoni played in same era as ABD.

Dhoni game regressed from 2012 360 Abd massively improved from 2011.. Sachin in 90s was beast in odis in 00s good to very good imo like Dhoni.. Dhoni sachin almost one decade played together.. 

4 minutes ago, King6 said:

Dhoni game regressed from 2012 360 Abd massively improved from 2011.. Sachin in 90s was beast in odis in 00s good to very good imo like Dhoni.. Dhoni sachin almost one decade played together.. 

Dhoni debuted in 2004, same as ABD. If we are adjusting his stats then same should be done for AB imo. Honestly, I don't think there will be much change because pitches were getting flat in mid-2000s too.

Beyond a point averages do not matter much. It hurts to have a low average as it means the guy is not scoring runs.  Let say someone is scoring with 40 plus average, I am good with that. What situation, opposition and tournament those runs are scored plays a big factor for the legacy than sheer numbers. Strike rate is important but then just like average its only a part of the story. 

Virat may not be the player he was but has damn good claim to be the best ODI bat ever. I still think its hard for anyone to go beyond Sachin Tendulkar in the overall impact on the ODI game. (Not necessarily win/loss record for Indian team). There are lot of batters pre-2000 that I enjoyed watching more than 45 plus Avg / 90 plus strike rate batters of current generation.  

Edited by cricspirit