I would rest SKY to test the true merit of the rest of the batting unit

G_B_

Players I would want in T20s :-

SKY, Shaw, Samson, D Hooda( and you need to use his bowling well as captain), Pandya

Players I am doubtful in T20s but can try more:-

Gill, Pant( he would have been in first but not now), Kishan, Shreyas

Conclusion:-

Shaw should be given a run with one of Pant or Kishan( whoever performs) and then SKY at 3, Hooda at 4, Samson at 5 and Pandya at 6. No.7 has to be someone else, not Sundar.  

That's T20 top 6 sorted for me. For no.7, they should look for some other options like a pace bowling all rounder or a Tewatia type finisher.

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Players I would want in T20s :-

SKY, Shaw, Samson, D Hooda( and you need to use his bowling well as captain), Pandya

Players I am doubtful in T20s but can try more:-

Gill, Pant( he would have been in first but not now), Kishan, Shreyas

Conclusion:-

Shaw should be given a run with one of Pant or Kishan( whoever performs) and then SKY at 3, Hooda at 4, Samson at 5 and Pandya at 6. No.7 has to be someone else, not Sundar.  

That's T20 top 6 sorted for me. For no.7, they should look for some other options like a pace bowling all rounder or a Tewatia type finisher.

They have to slot Hooda at the top to use power play restriction. This standard opening combo doesn't work. You gotta be flexible.

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

They have to slot Hooda at the top to use power play restriction. This standard opening combo doesn't work. You gotta be flexible.

Hooda can hit sixes with ease vs spin. Why slot him as opener? At 4, he is good and can bowl some overs. If he gets injured, then Iyer comes at that spot.

We can have any two of Shaw, Kishan and Pant in the powerplays to go hard at the top.

11 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Hooda can hit sixes with ease vs spin. Why slot him as opener? At 4, he is good and can bowl some overs. If he gets injured, then Iyer comes at that spot.

We can have any two of Shaw, Kishan and Pant in the powerplays to go hard at the top.

We have no Shaw here.  Gill as a T20 batsman i am not sure. He is a slow starter. Besides with Iyer and SKY in the middle they are never going to promote Hooda ahead. He struggles as a lower order batsman.

Edited by vvvslaxman
41 minutes ago, Lord said:

lol Samson's figures are inflated due to Ireland tour though.

Pant's average against bangladesh is 13.33 at a strike rate of 93.02. Even against Zimbabwe he failed. I don't think he is a minnow basher either. He is just not good enough for this format.  Samson played just 1 match against Ireland.  Infact not enough sample. Only way we can find out is by giving him more chances. Atleast half the opportunities that Pant got.

Just now, vvvslaxman said:

Pant's average against bangladesh is 13.33 at a strike rate of 93.02. Even against Zimbabwe he failed. I don't think he is a minnow basher either. He is just not good enough for this format.  Samson played just 1 match against Ireland.  Infact not enough sample. Only way we can find out is by giving him more chances. Atleast half the opportunities that Pant got.

yeah not denying Samson needs to play more. 

11 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Actually we didn't see enough to make a call whether he handled or not. That was a wide ball chased and edged. Can't really make much out of it.

he was at sea before it too. Just too much pace for him. Even today he was late on the ball.

Just now, Lord said:

he was at sea before it too. Just too much pace for him. Even today he was late on the ball.

To be fair  Southee was hardly was an express pacer. It was a dolly on the pads.  Comparatively Josh Little one of the best in the world T20, clocked 140k when we played Ireland. He swung the ball both ways.

15 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

We have no Shaw here.  Gill as a T20 batsman i am not sure. He is a slow starter. Besides with Iyer and SKY in the middle they are never going to promote Hooda ahead. He struggles as a lower order batsman.

I think it should be only one between Iyer and Hooda and Hooda should be that man due to his bowling. Iyer in T20s simply doesn't switch gears beyond 30s. If Hooda bats at 4, India can use him better and then Samson or Pandya can come at 5/6.

Leave the opening to Shaw, Kishan and Pant. Keep Gill for ODIs only. SKY obviously bats at 3.

Edited by Majestic
1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

To be fair  Southee was hardly was an express pacer. It was a dolly on the pads.  Comparatively Josh Little one of the best in the world T20, clocked 140k when we played Ireland. He swung the ball both ways.

different pitches.Hooda will be fine in India v pace too.

1 minute ago, Lord said:

Unless we see him bat for 5 overs we can't conclude one way or the other. I still think he has this hackish technique that will work in this format. He is tall. Hope they give him a chance. pant can't even clear inner circle in the power play. Looked like an axe cutter. Not the first time.

7 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Why do people here already believe Hooda is a good batsman? He hasn't proved sh!t yet except one innings.

Pant has showed only in 3 innings out of 64.  The role of Hooda should be pinch hitter not main batsman.  Fin Allen is not exactly Sachin tendulkar. He just blindly swings through the line when pitched up. When it is short he looks found wanting. They are going to keep trying him.  India has to find a way to start aggressively. Today Pant was messing things up.

Edited by vvvslaxman
4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Pant has showed only in 3 innings out of 64.  The role of Hooda should be pinch hitter not main batsman.  Fin Allen is not exactly Sachin tendulkar. He just blindly swings through the line when pitched up. When it is short he looks found wanting. They are going to keep trying him.  India has to find a way to start aggressively. Today Pant was messing things up.

I am still not convinced if he has improved against pace. An absolute pedestrian against pace cannot be a pinch hitter.

1 hour ago, Lord said:

Shaw

Pant/kishan

SKY

Hooda/Shreyas

Samson

Pandya(c)

Top 6 sorted. With this top 6 which has two bowling options,  we can even have a batting A/R at 7 who can play the finisher role. I know Pandya is better suited at 5 rather than 6 but that flexibility he will have as captain on certain occasions.