#Castiest BCCI trending on Twitter.

46 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

In TN this accusation has been around for a long time. CR Rangachari, Venkatraghavan, KrishSrikkanth, TE Srinivasn, WV Raman, Sadagopan Ramesh, Muali vijay. I am not sure if DK is brahmin. some say Nadar. I think he is Brahmin, Badrinath.  Ravi Ashwin  I am not sure about Balaji. Robin singh is the only player that i know for sure is not Brahmin. A West Indian origin player. You can still see this question floating around in Quora. 

Have no doubts as to who runs cricket here. Starting with that fraud seeni maama.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

SC/STs are not poor anymore with quotas and govt jobs. There are enough rich SC/STs now. 

I am talking about a majority. Father had a govt. job; I was middle class but still no money to join club. Cricket has always been a mostly elite sport.

1 minute ago, Khota said:

I am talking about a majority. Father had a govt. job; I was middle class but still no money to join club. Cricket has always been a mostly elite sport.

Kartik Tyagi's father is a small farmer, not rich. Umesh Yadav not elite. Cricket stopped being elite for a long time now. There are so many players in last 10-15 years from the humble background, small towns.

There is regional quota (the selection committee itself is divided into zones) and to some sublime level - a minority quota, but there has never been a casteist policy. It may be that cricket was affordable and accessible to UCs and Elites, but the trend has been changing with cricketers from B&C grade cities as well

11 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

lets be honest.this is not just cricket,how many Dalits have you interacted with in your younger days? my school  had 50% brahims!! even though they are a tiny proportion of bangalores population.i honestly can say i have never met a Dalit in school at all.Casteism still pervades Indian society even though politicians use them as vote banks.

I didn’t bother to find out the castes of others in school and college. It was such a magical period. Mandal protests were the first major event that divided students on caste lines.

1 hour ago, cowboysfan said:

lets be honest.this is not just cricket,how many Dalits have you interacted with in your younger days? my school  had 50% brahims!! even though they are a tiny proportion of bangalores population.i honestly can say i have never met a Dalit in school at all.Casteism still pervades Indian society even though politicians use them as vote banks.

Depends which school you went to. But the larger point you make is still true in India. Those who can afford to and want to put their kids in elite private schools tend to be disproportionately upper caste. 

Also, in Bangalore , certain neighborhoods used to be dominated by upper castes and especially brahmins so it's not that surprising tbh. 

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Kartik Tyagi's father is a small farmer, not rich. Umesh Yadav not elite. Cricket stopped being elite for a long time now. There are so many players in last 10-15 years from the humble background, small towns.

That trend has started. In Delhi Gambhir, Kohli etc. all came from affluent background.  They both did work incredibly hard though.

2 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Haven't really studied with a Dalit but plenty of SC/ST guys/girls used to study with me.  Lived my school life in extreme North so SC/ST people are kinda in better situation economically.  They know their rights & benefits and are not that poor. 

Brahmins are always there & so are Khatris & Mahajan/ baniya in reasonable numbers. 

Pretty even stuff. 

Casual casteism still exists everywhere...  In backward areas & low HDI states it is extreme namely UP/Bihar. 

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I didn’t bother to find out the castes of others in school and college. It was such a magical period. Mandal protests were the first major event that divided students on caste lines.

i know this because 3 of my best friends in school were brahmins.I used to eat in their homes all the time and they make the best vegetarian food especially my iyengari friend.

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Haven't really studied with a Dalit but plenty of SC/ST guys/girls used to study with me.  Lived my school life in extreme North so SC/ST people are kinda in better situation economically.  They know their rights & benefits and are not that poor. 

Brahmins are always there & so are Khatris & Mahajan/ baniya in reasonable numbers. 

Pretty even stuff. 

Casual casteism still exists everywhere...  In backward areas & low HDI states it is extreme namely UP/Bihar. 

In +2, most of us were struggling to crack JEE or CET, etc, in our class we had 2 guys , not so good in studies, would dress posh and come to school in cars and were boisterous. In the end, we came to know they got into IIT-M (Madras) and we came to know they got in through quota. That was my first experience with reservations.