Opinion: Kerala/Bengal obsession with Argentina/Brazil is more cringeworthy than Pakistan's obsession with Turkey

MechEng

8 hours ago, Ranvir said:

Your points are all laughable. First of all Steve Ovett is 11 years older than Akram and would have been in his mid to late 30s, past his peak when that video was filmed and Akram would have been in his mid 20s peak. Middle distance runners are not sprinters. Let's see Akram vs Cristiano Ronaldo on that same course, he'd get annihilated.

That Flintoff fight was a complete joke. It was for a TV documentary here in the UK, he was literally throwing slaps, the other guy even knocked him down, most likely fixed for the documentary. Rio Ferdinand another fame hungry whore like Flintoff also wanted to become a boxer like Flintoff after retirement. I'd bet my bottom dollar he'd annihilate Flintoff, he's more explosive and stronger.

Football may be considered a soft sport in America but Basketball is even softer, extremely little body contact is allowed. Each nation has it's own views on sports. Cricket in England is considered boring and unathletic and that's the view of the public of the best team in the world. 

An example of upper body strength in football can be seen at 4:33 in this video. You can see Ronaldinho (80kg) bulldoze defender Terry (90kg), this requires upper body strength and such duels are very common in football between defenders and forwards. Footballers do not build show muscles like actors. They will not add unnecessary bulk if it's not useful for their job, they have wide shoulders and big chests for a reason, as demonstrated this video. 

I don't think you play any sports.

8 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

One thing is for sure. Sports are an opium for masses. And this becomes so apparent in Kolkata. A city crashing down by the day with flailing infrastructure, filth and poverty galore. But they are delirious because Argentina won. 

There is a reason why Roman Empire had more gladiator combats especially when Empire was descending. 

Bread and circuses is what the Romans called the games. Opium for the masses is religion. 

My Spanish friend told me that people in Spain were happy when their team were winning trophies galore, it was only when their team came crashing down in 2014 that they started criticising the government for their crashing economy. 

Edited by Ranvir

On 12/21/2022 at 10:39 AM, Ranvir said:

Field hockey is a minor sport in those countries. Here in the UK it is considered a bit of a feminine sport. It's never too late to invest in football. If tiny countries like Uruguay and Croatia can have a lot of success then anything is possible.

I don't know how you find a way of running things to the ground...

Anyway I'm nit sure anyone actually thinks field hockey is feminine in the UK or anywhere in the European countries. Its a sport just like football, rugby etc which the British team is rather good at ( due to funding and facilities available to kids at a young age at grassroot level) same with Germany, Holland etc That's why they are beasts and India isn't where it used to be. It shouldn't be one or the other- if Punjab and Haryana can produce athletic players which can excel in hockey, then they can produce players who cab excel in football. Its about a mentality shift, funding at grassroots so kids start playing the sport from a young age ( 5 or 6 years). Once you have this system in place along with the best coaching staff to work on technical skills, then you can start making moves in football.. The problem is its either studies or cricket- there isn't a viable option for kids in schools to play other sports like Hockey or Football seriously.

Hockey is already played seriously in 3x the countries than cricket and we now have an excellent base to improve. Winning  the World Cups and gold medals in Olympics is the pinnacle of this sport so why not? We are already on the path of improving after 40 years of hurt. 

1 hour ago, MultiB48 said:

Romans used to organize those events themselves but we aren't doing that.Indians arent good at sports but still get caught up in this, it's just bizzare .I don't think we can compare it to any other nation.

Pretty dumb statement to make. There are plenty who excel in many sports. We are slowing building momentum to have something to show in terms of medals etc. but this is a misconception. In fact with a population of 1.4B this is a statistical impossibility.

2 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

I don't know how you find a way of running things to the ground...

Anyway I'm nit sure anyone actually thinks field hockey is feminine in the UK or anywhere in the European countries. Its a sport just like football, rugby etc which the British team is rather good at ( due to funding and facilities available to kids at a young age at grassroot level) same with Germany, Holland etc That's why they are beasts and India isn't where it used to be. It shouldn't be one or the other- if Punjab and Haryana can produce athletic players which can excel in hockey, then they can produce players who cab excel in football. Its about a mentality shift, funding at grassroots so kids start playing the sport from a young age ( 5 or 6 years). Once you have this system in place along with the best coaching staff to work on technical skills, then you can start making moves in football.. The problem is its either studies or cricket- there isn't a viable option for kids in schools to play other sports like Hockey or Football seriously.

Hockey is already played seriously in 3x the countries than cricket and we now have an excellent base to improve. Winning  the World Cups and gold medals in Olympics is the pinnacle of this sport so why not? We are already on the path of improving after 40 years of hurt. 

You clearly don't understand the mentality of people and especially Indians. If you did, you wouldn't post such nonsense. 

Indians want popularity over the world and be considered as equals as people from western countries and Asian countries like Japan, Korea and China, this cannot be denied. 

Now in the sporting world being good at hockey is not going to achieve this. Can you even name 10 hockey players off the top of your head? They are even less famous than cricketers. 

Are Indians going to brag about a hockey player when someone is talking about Messi and Mbappe? They try to do this with Tendulkar but no has heard of him in most of the world. 

4 hours ago, Ranvir said:

You clearly don't understand the mentality of people and especially Indians. If you did, you wouldn't post such nonsense. 

Indians want popularity over the world and be considered as equals as people from western countries and Asian countries like Japan, Korea and China, this cannot be denied. 

Now in the sporting world being good at hockey is not going to achieve this. Can you even name 10 hockey players off the top of your head? They are even less famous than cricketers. 

Are Indians going to brag about a hockey player when someone is talking about Messi and Mbappe? They try to do this with Tendulkar but no has heard of him in most of the world. 

Why does success in Hockey comes with T&Cs about not being able to be good at Football too? My point was having enough resources and development structures in place to do BOTH. Does being good at hockey undermine Germany's or Argentina's or Australia's ability to be good at football too? Atleast becoming a top nation in Hockey sets the foundation of being a porting country which then manifests into other sports gradually over time.

My point was more broad however I never denied the mentality of Indians of having low self esteem and wanting to be liked by everyone- its very obvious with youtubers making money off reaction videos from Indian content.. but thats a very different issue compared to the current sporting mentality in India

5 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

My point is we arent good at football and we arent hosting or participating in it,so you cant say this is a circus for us .It's for the latins,europe and maybe this one was for the arab and muslim world as well .We are being Deewana abdul in this.For us circus is ipl and kirkut.

For football that is fair enough. But you said sports earlier

On 12/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, Ranvir said:

of course it can't be denied - many in my profession seek and crave and beg for validation.

Latin American people and some countries in Europe like Romania actually adore everything about India. Romanians girls are crazy with Bollywood movies. 

So OP is factually wrong. 

Brazilians and Argentines love India, Brazil is a Portuguese colony and has connection to India. It's arguably most diverse country on planet. Best Sushi I ever has was in Brazil as so many Japanese people live there. 

6 hours ago, Vancouver said:

Latin American people and some countries in Europe like Romania actually adore everything about India. Romanians girls are crazy with Bollywood movies. 

So OP is factually wrong. 

Brazilians and Argentines love India, Brazil is a Portuguese colony and has connection to India. It's arguably most diverse country on planet. Best Sushi I ever has was in Brazil as so many Japanese people live there. 

brazil, yes. I don't agree with argentina - they are a bit xenophobic (which is not the same as saying racist, just to be clear) from my experiences in 90s.

On 12/21/2022 at 7:33 PM, ravishingravi said:

One thing is for sure. Sports are an opium for masses. And this becomes so apparent in Kolkata. A city crashing down by the day with flailing infrastructure, filth and poverty galore. But they are delirious because Argentina won. 

There is a reason why Roman Empire had more gladiator combats especially when Empire was descending. 

kolkata is in free fall. it will soon become even worse

On 12/21/2022 at 1:38 AM, Ranvir said:

Following Argentina is one thing, putting flags up of a nation you have no connection to is strange, some crazy fans in India and Bangladesh even painted their face in Argentina colours. 

I was supporting Argentina due to the Messi factor and in the past due to Maradona but never would I do any of the above. 

THREAD.