Hockey World Cup 2023- India

LordPrabhzy

Both Aussie men and women choking so hard in big tournament KOs lol. At least we can excuse the women, better teams out there. But when it comes to men, terrific squad that blows teams apart in inconsequential games, like our shoopershtar cricket team:phehe:

2016 Rio se lekar ab tak bade tournament ke KOs mein choke hi chal rha hai inka. India gifted them whatever few trophies they won....heart aches when I think about 2016 and 2018 CT finals, both games we dominated them like crazy, both games they somehow took to shootouts and won:((

On 1/14/2023 at 1:06 PM, Gollum said:

Australia and Belgium clear favorites for me, far far ahead of rest of the field. Think those 2 heavyweights will play the final, and backing Belgium to make it 3 big titles in a row, after their success in previous WC and Tokyo Olympics gold. Last few years both Aussie men and women have become chokers in KOs of these big events, the men more noticeably so. Australia may look unstoppable in group games and against us (big mental block) but can't see them winning 3 KOs in a row against elite field. Belgium far more likely to, advantage for all top European sides, far tougher field and tournaments there prepare them mentally for this level of competition. 

Choking continues. Reminded me of 2000s India in the last couple of minutes, headless chickens :facepalm:

German team isn't that great, ability-wise, somehow grit took them over the line in QF and SF, both games they came back from 0-2 behind and won by the narrowest of margins. 

Greatest overachievers in this sport, in the 2000s they were worse than Aus/Neth but won 4 big titles from 2002-12, WCs in 02, 06 and Olympic gold in 08, 12. WC runners up in 2010. Aussies have underachieved massively the last 2 decades. Frankly even GOAT Dutch of 90s and Pak of late 70s-mid 80s never had the kind of run Germans had. Mental toughness?

Argentina beat Chile 8-0, we beat Japan 8-0. Would have been nice to see these two teams in QFs. Koreans and NZers didn't even try against the top dogs. Question mark over India but Argentina has the attitude and game to beat Aus/Bel/Neth/Ger in KO stage. 

Edited by Gollum

2 minutes ago, vivek04 said:

Our hockey team needs physique of rupinder pal singh type of player who is tall and strong . Today's hockey demands that. All the europenas teams incl. australia are dominant in that aspect.

a lot of the team are tiny NE players... not sure how they can compete with tall and built European players in a game which emphasises more on power and speed than dribbling

3 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

a lot of the team are tiny NE players... not sure how they can compete with tall and built European players in a game which emphasises more on power and speed than dribbling

I wish the sport was more skill.than athleticism oriented tbh which by all accounts it once was. Don't like many of the rules too like trying to win PCs intentionally which will prevent any real mass following. It would be like turning football into a sport where corners and fks would receive greater emphasis than scoring from open play with skill and players could win handball penalties by Trying to hit it onto a players arms. I felt that way even during the Olympics. 

1 minute ago, rollingstoned said:

I wish the sport was more skill.than athleticism oriented tbh which by all accounts it once was. Don't like many of the rules too like trying to win PCs intentionally which will prevent any real mass following. It would be like turning football into a sport where corners and fks would receive greater emphasis than scoring from open play with skill and players could win handball penalties by Trying to hit it onto a players arms. I felt that way even during the Olympics. 

Well we cant go back in time.. we have to adapt on how the game is now like other countries do and develop the grassroots that way. India also gets many chances to get PC after PC but our conversion rate of those into goals is atrocious..

32 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Well we cant go back in time.. we have to adapt on how the game is now like other countries do and develop the grassroots that way. India also gets many chances to get PC after PC but our conversion rate of those into goals is atrocious..

I'm aware of all that and know we should adapt to the mechanical way in which the sport is played now. Just lamenting that the sport itself is poorer for it.