Is this innings by Gill one of the best by an Indian?

I think another positive of Desert Storm, is that SRT backed that innings up with another century in the next game in the Final vs Australia.

It gives a lot of weight and validity that Desert Storm was no fluke or accident.

SRT was batting at another level than any other batsmen at that time.

IIRC he scored centuries against Australia in the Test Series a month earlier in India. Pretty sure he also won the Man of the Match vs Australia in the ODI series in India that same year, for his bowling alone.

SRT was Superman at one stage for Indian Cricket.

38 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Desert Storm was all about one man carrying the weight of an entire nation entirely on his shoulders to first qualify for a triangular tournament final and secondly to win the game.

In effect it was a "knockout" Semi Final for India. I dont recall many Indian batsmen delivering big time in a "Final".

This will be controversial to say for some, but for me Pant at the GABBA is the other greatest innings by an Indian batsmen.

At least in the last 20-30 years I am talking about. I have no idea about Gavaskar but Im very confident some of his innings in the Carribean when the Windies were at their absolute peak in Test Cricket, would rate among Pant and SRT.

For me to be classified as one of the greatest innings by an Indian, you need to consider the opponent and the stakes of the game. SRT won the qualification status for India in Sharjah, Pant won us the Test Series at the GABBA in Australia.

I cant separate Pant and SRT.

Everyone knows I am huge fanboy of Pant but my love for SRT runs deep. He carried the entire Indian batting on his 16 year old shoulders for many many years. While SRT went searching for that hundred 100, he at least retired with dignity in tact.

@express bowling@Vijy I want to know what you guys think of my comments. Be critical if you have to of me, I respect you guys a lot.

Your parameters for selecting one of the greatest innings is very much in line with my thought process. Difficult batting conditions would be another factor to consider. 

Which is why I rate Gill's 91 at the Gabba as a very special innings too and above this 208.

What this 208 showcases is Gill's tremendous potential and I think this innings will give him the confidence to truly realize his potential in the near future. 

Edited by express bowling
2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Your parameters for selecting one if the greatest innings is very much in line with my thought process. Difficult batting conditions would be another factor to consider. 

Which is why I rate Gill's 91 at the Gabba as a very special innings too and above this 208.

What this 208 showcases is Gill's tremendous potential and I think this innings will give him the confidence to truly realize his potential in the near future. 

100% spot on.

I would have challenged you as well if I disagreed.

Gill's GABBA 91 as an opener on a 5th day pitch in Australia definitely must be rated higher than his 208.

I agree also about the confidence, once he believes in himself and his ability he will get better with SR as well.

Against Bangla he made some stupid shots to get out and should have scored big and I feel the 208 is the culmination of him learning from his mistakes.

38 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Desert Storm was all about one man carrying the weight of an entire nation entirely on his shoulders to first qualify for a triangular tournament final and secondly to win the game.

In effect it was a "knockout" Semi Final for India. I dont recall many Indian batsmen delivering big time in a "Final".

This will be controversial to say for some, but for me Pant at the GABBA is the other greatest innings by an Indian batsmen.

At least in the last 20-30 years I am talking about. I have no idea about Gavaskar but Im very confident some of his innings in the Carribean when the Windies were at their absolute peak in Test Cricket, would rate among Pant and SRT.

For me to be classified as one of the greatest innings by an Indian, you need to consider the opponent and the stakes of the game. SRT won the qualification status for India in Sharjah, Pant won us the Test Series at the GABBA in Australia.

I cant separate Pant and SRT.

Everyone knows I am huge fanboy of Pant but my love for SRT runs deep. He carried the entire Indian batting on his 16 year old shoulders for many many years. While SRT went searching for that hundred 100, he at least retired with dignity in tact.

@express bowling@Vijy I want to know what you guys think of my comments. Be critical if you have to of me, I respect you guys a lot.

Sachin was absolute beast in his younger days, I mean for someone who's regarded as less destructive than Lara or Ponting, his SR in ODI's was much higher than both.
Dravid, Ganguly were good players, but they can never match the brutalness which Sachin used to carry in 90's with his breathtaking stroke play. Even during the Independence Cup of 1997, though Ganguly scored 124 and Robin made 83, it was Sachin's knock of 41(24) which gave the inns initial impetus.

Sachin slowed down (or shall I say overshadowed) once Sehwag came into the horizon, who was even more aggressive then Sachin at the powerplay. 

1 minute ago, singhvivek141 said:

Sachin was absolute beast in his younger days, I mean for someone who's regarded as less destructive than Lara or Ponting, his SR in ODI's was much higher than both.
Dravid, Ganguly were good players, but they can never match the brutalness which Sachin used to carry in 90's with his breathtaking stroke play. Even during the Independence Cup of 1997, though Ganguly scored 124 and Robin made 83, it was Sachin's knock of 41(24) which gave the inns initial impetus.

Sachin slowed down (or shall I say overshadowed) once Sehwag came into the horizon, who was even more aggressive then Sachin at the powerplay. 

Didnt SRT slow down because also of his tennis elbow injury?

Agree about Sehwag, arguably more destructive than SRT. He went for his shots regardless of the situation. SRT was patient at times especially early in his innings.

Sehwag was in the Srikanth mould of batting.

The only other recent Test player for India that comes to mind is Pant.

3 minutes ago, SM2907 said:

Why Ajay Jadeja - Till he started the mauling, the game was even. That was Waqar Younis bowling. Pakistan were world champions and strong team in 96. This was Bangalore. Home crowd, pressure , QF elimination.

Home conditions should make it easier on a batsman. Familiarity is an alley for a batsman.

As @express bowling mentioned the weight of the greatness of an innings should also consider the pitch conditions to some extent.

31 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Didnt SRT slow down because also of his tennis elbow injury?

Agree about Sehwag, arguably more destructive than SRT. He went for his shots regardless of the situation. SRT was patient at times especially early in his innings.

Sehwag was in the Srikanth mould of batting.

The only other recent Test player for India that comes to mind is Pant.

I think before the tennis elbow injury as well, when both Sachin and Sehwag played together, Sehwag was brutal against the bowlers.
Sachin seeing that at the other end, kept himself under the radar and allowed Sehwag to play the way he wishes to.

Ofcourse, later with his tennis elbow issues, Sachin had to invent some new shots like paddle sweep.

It's same as Gilly and Hayden, Hayden used to keep himself restrained till Gilly is at the other end. Only to unleash at the right moment.

9 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

I think before the tennis elbow injury as well, when both Sachin and Sehwag played together, Sehwag was brutal against the bowlers.
Sachin seeing that at the other end, kept himself under the radar and allowed Sehwag to play the way he wishes to.

Ofcourse, later with his tennis elbow issues, Sachin had to invent some new shots like paddle sweep.

It's same as Gilly and Hayden, Hayden used to keep himself restrained till Gilly is at the other end. Only to unleash at the right moment.

It definitely took pressure of SRT as he could pace his innings a lot better without worrying about the run rate.

22 hours ago, neel roy said:

only Odis. My top 7

tendulkar 98 against pak 2003

sourav ganguly 124 independence cup final 1997 Dhaka chasing 315 world record score that too in 47 overs  ( one of the most underrated innings. Final of Best of 3 final that too against pakistan in dhaka for independence cup which india gave them. If it would have happened today with social media we know what it would be)

Kaif and Yuvraj Natwest Final Lords ( even here ganguly and sehwag gave a blistering start)

Tendulkar Commonwealth bank tri series final 2008 ( 117 and 91) To me these 2 are much better than sharjah where the ground is like a matchbox. The two cbw series finals were in sydney and brisbane

yusuf pathans unbelievable innings of 105 chasing 250 .. India were 60/5 then 119/8 when he started the carnage in Centurion 2010 ofi series just before the wc 2011.  He was thumping steyn and morkel for fun. India finished at 234 all out in 40 overs and at one stage needed 32 off 90 balls with 2 wickets in hand when he got out. That match sealed his place for wc 2011 and the series sealed munaf patels place as well..

Virat kohli 183 off 148 balls chasing 330 against pakistan in asia cup ( tendulkar 100 100 cup)

Yem ess dee wc final 2011..

Ganguly's 124 is a forgotten one. Definitely one of the most thrilling ODI ever for India.   Those days chasing 300 was just a sh**y pipe dream. That epic partnership with Robin singh was magnificent. What a clutch player RObin singh was. He also helped India win their first ever ODI in Pakistan.

On 1/18/2023 at 5:58 AM, Chakdephatte said:

Apart from that one innings from Kapil Dev which none of us watched live, I don't remember any innings where a single batsman scored that many with second highest score being 34. He was unfazed by what was going on on the other end. Quality knock under pressure.

Closest to 175 was kapil Dev's 87 against West Indies.  Almost pulled off a miracle. India was 31/5 chasing 203. India was down and out against brutal patrick patterson.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/west-indies-tour-of-india-1987-88-61942/india-vs-west-indies-1st-odi-64313/full-scorecard

9 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

he is really good when the wicket is flat,his lack of feet movement wont hurt him.the good thing the majority of LOI cricket  is played on pattas so he should be a permanent fixture in them.his problems are magnified in tests though ,hope he gets a chance in BG series to prove himself.

He is probably the best backfoot player we have. If only he improve tightness in his frontfoot game he will do much better. Kohli has the reverse problem. No backfoot game.

16 hours ago, Lord said:

the ODIs are too much batsmen oriented, specially in India. So becomes difficult to rate such innings too high.

NZ were also without Southee,Boult and Sodhi.

I'd say even 50s have been better

Boult has quit odi no? 

Southee is washed up now. 

Sodhi is mediocre

Edited by speedracer