1st Test Nagpur, February 09 - 13, 2023, Australia tour of India - PREMATCH

SRT100

4 hours ago, sarchasm said:

Four ''tough'' decisions for the TM

Who opens with Rohit? They'll pick KL while Gill is the fan favorite

Who gets to keep? Bharat is the obvious choice for TM, although we'll have many rightly clamoring for Ishan Kishan

Who would be the 3 spinners out of 4 solid candidates? No obvious answers here.

Who would be the 2 quicks out of Umesh, Shami, and Siraj? Siraj picks himself and toss a coin between the other two.

I am ok with kishan getting a chance as he is a lefties. Aussie quicks suck vs lefties. Cummins average and hazletrundlers average is much higher vs lefties. 

In saying that, ishans ability to play rising deliveries outside off is concerning.not sure If  he found it hard to bat vs bounce due to the constraints of a 50 over game or is it a weakness.

14 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

I will go with
Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli

Iyer
Kishan
Jadeja/Axar
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Umesh
Siraj/Shami

--> As it's going to be a rank turner....the use of pacers is going to be limited. Hence only 2.

--> Umesh, Siraj, Shami all 3 are good with new ball and get reverse.

--> Umesh barges ahead of Shami and Siraj coz of his batting and fielding ability. Batting is much needed on turning tracks given the fact our top order is vulnerable against spin.

--> Jaddu, Ashwin, Kuldeep...all 3 bring 3 different varieties of spin in the picture. 
--> I want to include Axar, but that means dropping of one pacer or comprimising on Iyer. Both can prove dangerous (in case the sole pacer gets injured midway, Iyer is the only bankable batsman against Lyon).

Great team and its what I would want.

KL has no right to be in this team for starters. Neither does Kohli, but one uncle removed at a time.

Its a shootout for Jaddu and Axar. Im worried about Jaddu's fitness as my main concern.

I would take Shami over Umesh if we are playing on rank turners. Shami can get wickets with reverse swing and with the old ball. Umesh and Siraj are very "similar" kind of bowlers, which is why I would take Siraj.

If I was genuinely picking a team for my life to be dependent on it, I would take Ashwin at 4 over Kohli. The last 12-18 months its the right call, as stupid as that would be.

I agree I would love to play all 4 of Jaddu, Ash, Kuldeep and Axar. I wonder if it is a rank turner, should we just go with Siraj only?

Rohit

KL Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Iyer

Bharat

Jadeja

Ashwin

Axar

Any two of Siraj/Shami/Umesh

This is what India will most likely field. There is no point feeling defeated before the test begins. India will still have the upper hand and I believe should win with that team.

* I prefer Gill in All tests but he may not get the chance unless they dare sit one of Pujara or Rahul.

* Jadeja if fit, plays. No doubt about his spot.

* Kishan is one of the young guys who gets his chances so it may not be a surprise to see him at no.6 ( I personally think he is average batter  who will have his days when he plays a blinder, no matter the format). He cant be Pant for test atleast.

* Kuldeep may get a chance as management drop senior bowlers (Ashwin) more easily than batters. No Idea why. 

14 minutes ago, cricspirit said:

* Kishan is one of the young guys who gets his chances so it may not be a surprise to see him at no.6 ( I personally think he is average batter  who will have his days when he plays a blinder, no matter the format). He cant be Pant for test atleast.

I am more concerned with Kishan's ability to keep to spinners for long periods of time.  Not saying that he can't, but most of his cricket seems to be in the LOI format, so it is hard to know this.

OTOH, IIRC, Bharat had an opportunity to sub in a test and did a really good job keeping to international spin bowlers.  In domestic tests, with spin-heavy attacks, this should carry much more weight than marginally better batting ability that we think Kishan has.  I shudder to think of the consequence of a missed sharp catch or stumping against Labuschagne or brain-fade.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
14 hours ago, cricspirit said:

Rohit

KL Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Iyer

Bharat

Jadeja

Ashwin

Axar

Any two of Siraj/Shami/Umesh

This is what India will most likely field. There is no point feeling defeated before the test begins. India will still have the upper hand and I believe should win with that team.

* I prefer Gill in All tests but he may not get the chance unless they dare sit one of Pujara or Rahul.

* Jadeja if fit, plays. No doubt about his spot.

* Kuldeep may get a chance as management drop senior bowlers (Ashwin) more easily than batters. No Idea why. 

With Iyer ruled out.

Makes things interesting I presume Gill comes in.

The question is where will he play? Will he replace Uncle KL as opener and shift KL to middle order?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/steven-smith-defends-abandoning-india-tour-game-we-got-served-greentop-1356716

So complains about the greentop given in the tour match in 2017 yet the team scored 450+...

Anyway this precedent was set by India to refuse playing tour games again driven by the unsportsmanship of ECB etc to not provide the actual first class teams and pitches to touring Indians which has meant other boards are now retaliating.. if this is the case then just bin the concept of tour games all together and move on.

Edited by LordPrabhzy