Hindenburg group accuses Adani group of fraud

gattaca

"Today we reveal the findings of our 2-year investigation, presenting evidence that the INR 17.8 trillion (U.S. $218 billion) Indian conglomerate Adani Group has engaged in a brazen stock manipulation and accounting fraud scheme over the course of decades," Hindenburg said in its report.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/01/25/adani-group-hindenburg-short-position.html

Edited by gattaca

15 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

First modi and then adani,no surprises there.

Not everything is a conspiracy. Trump supporters used the same and they do that even after the insurrection. Forget modi. Adani companies has lot of debt he keeps using new companies and borrows money and funds new companies. He built his empires on pack of debt cards which might crumble sooner than later. 

8 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

First modi and then adani,no surprises there.

You are reading too much into it.

Hidenburg does not care about Modi. They sure do care how few individuals manipulate stocks. This is not the first time they have found fraud.

11 hours ago, gattaca said:

"Today we reveal the findings of our 2-year investigation, presenting evidence that the INR 17.8 trillion (U.S. $218 billion) Indian conglomerate Adani Group has engaged in a brazen stock manipulation and accounting fraud scheme over the course of decades," Hindenburg said in its report.

It's Hindenburg - you should update the title given it's one of the most (in)famous names from the 20th century!

41 minutes ago, Khota said:

@gattaca Adnani group can prove these folks are wrong or there is truth to it. India is not a banana republic where individuals are allowed to amass wealth in not so honest fashion. 

These reports make the country stronger not weak.

If they are correct they should drag this company to court for causing depreciation of stock value. 

5 hours ago, gattaca said:

If they are correct they should drag this company to court for causing depreciation of stock value. 

13 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Adani is over leveraged. There is no doubt in that.

But the accusations on shell companies need addressing. Take them to court in usa n india

I have this feeling Adani's will not go to court.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:26 AM, gattaca said:

I just read the report. But it seems 90 % of this is public information. Rest needs to backed by evidence especially on shell companies. Being overleveraged in not a crime. In a business life cycle, its not an anomaly. 

13 hours ago, Khota said:

I have this feeling Adani's will not go to court.

I feel they will go to court in India.

Which is fair as most retail shareholders and banks who are lenders are Indian entities. 

CAG needs to audit them. 

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

I just read the report. But it seems 90 % of this is public information. Rest needs to backed by evidence especially on shell companies. Being overleveraged in not a crime. In a business life cycle, its not an anomaly. 

More than the shell companies their leverage (in a legal sense) is defo a worry.

I stayed away from adani stocks purely on this aspect. They were like a big company with a start up mentality to debt.(my view). I felt their valuations were around 30% higher than the fair price. 

Nature of debt needs to be probed purely from an investing pov. If its long term or short term. Are there any currency risks. What % interest are they paying on the short term debt.

In 2013 when the rupee nose dived many Indian companies who had debt in USD ended up in a tough spot.

Hindenberg claims of Adani ($214 billion) causing some sort of major economic collapse for a $3.5 trillion economy is pure masala for them to benefit as short sellers. Adani does own a lot of tangible assets. Its not like crypto which has 0 intrinsic values. Shareholder losses will be max be around 100 billion or so due to inflated share price.

Adani Group’s companies have lost almost $45 billion in market value in less than two sessions, as a selloff sparked by US short seller Hindenburg Research’s scathing report deepened on Friday. Shares of Adani Total Gas plummeted 19.65%, Adani Transmission tumbled 19%, Adani Green Energy plunged 15.50% and Adani Enterprises tanked 6.19%, Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone fell 5.3% Adani Wilmar dipped 5% and Adani Power declined 4.99%.
01:43 PM

https://www.livemint.com/market/live-blog/share-market-live-updates-sensex-nifty-bse-nse-stock-market-today-27-01-2023-11674784052183.html

3 hours ago, G_B_ said:

More than the shell companies their leverage (in a legal sense) is defo a worry.

I stayed away from adani stocks purely on this aspect. They were like a big company with a start up mentality to debt.(my view). I felt their valuations were around 30% higher than the fair price. 

Nature of debt needs to be probed purely from an investing pov. If its long term or short term. Are there any currency risks. What % interest are they paying on the short term debt.

In 2013 when the rupee nose dived many Indian companies who had debt in USD ended up in a tough spot.

Hindenberg claims of Adani ($214 billion) causing some sort of major economic collapse for a $3.5 trillion economy is pure masala for them to benefit as short sellers. Adani does own a lot of tangible assets. Its not like crypto which has 0 intrinsic values. Shareholder losses will be max be around 100 billion or so due to inflated share price.

Hidenburg is in the business of short selling. So, I fully understand why and what they are saying. But I dont see any new info here. The exposure to public sector banks is 40 %. Adani have enough assets to back the loan. Is it over leveraged ? For sure. But given the nature of the industry, it is not an anomaly.