Is Arshdeep overrated?

Texan

49 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Siraj, even before he debuted for India, was a multi-dimensionsl bowler.

He could hit the deck hard in the good length area and get bounce and seam movement when the ball stopped swinging after a few overs.

He could bowl stump directed skiddy quick deliveries too at will.  

How come it took him  3 years to eastablish himself in odi and t20 ?  Untill last year , he was not much successful in odi and t20 and was  high average per over . 

I am mot too much sold on selecting multi dimensional players  . In that way , yuvraj would not have played t20 . Player like Shami , kohli or even Rohit will be selected instead of young players . When whole  world is selecting players on their strength base and you want multi format  players ?   Wihich will obviously lead to more injuries and burn out for players . 

a

Its not everyone’s cup of tea to adapt easily and quickly in all formats of cricket..

they require different demands and skillsets..plus injury/fitness management will get more focus…as it will be heavy workload when playing all formats..+ franchise cricket..

Better to stick to the formats you are good at..and sharpen your skills for that..

If we get few such multidimensional players like Boom..then also only play them in selected matches watching their workload

Edited by Need4Speed
2 hours ago, Arvind32 said:

How come it took him  3 years to eastablish himself in odi and t20 ?  Untill last year , he was not much successful in odi and t20 and was  high average per over . 

I am mot too much sold on selecting multi dimensional players  . In that way , yuvraj would not have played t20 . Player like Shami , kohli or even Rohit will be selected instead of young players . When whole  world is selecting players on their strength base and you want multi format  players ?   Wihich will obviously lead to more injuries and burn out for players . 

a

I am NOT talking about multi-format players but multi-dimensional bowlers who can operate successfully under various conditions.

To me, Arshdeep seems just like a stopgap measure until we find a good opening bowler who can also bowl at the death. Ideally, I would like to see Mohsin Khan as that bowler. But, unfortunately, after that dream IPL, Mohsin has just been injured. I hope he comes back soon and still bowls the same way. He can move the ball and also hits the deck hard and is capable of bowling a fast 145+ ball as well. If he can be fully fit and still bowl at the same intensity as the last IPL, there will be nothing better.

Ideally, for T20s, our pacers should be:

Mohsin

Bumrah

Umran

With Pandya, Axar and Kuldeep as the other bowlers. Yes, batting is weak from 8, but we could fit in Shardul, Sundar or Hooda for one of the bowlers when we need the extra batting cushion. Also, Umran seems to at least have the mentality to go for his shots, so his batting could be developed. 

10 hours ago, Texan said:

To me, Arshdeep seems just like a stopgap measure until we find a good opening bowler who can also bowl at the death. Ideally, I would like to see Mohsin Khan as that bowler. But, unfortunately, after that dream IPL, Mohsin has just been injured. I hope he comes back soon and still bowls the same way. He can move the ball and also hits the deck hard and is capable of bowling a fast 145+ ball as well. If he can be fully fit and still bowl at the same intensity as the last IPL, there will be nothing better.

Ideally, for T20s, our pacers should be:

Mohsin

Bumrah

Umran

With Pandya, Axar and Kuldeep as the other bowlers. Yes, batting is weak from 8, but we could fit in Shardul, Sundar or Hooda for one of the bowlers when we need the extra batting cushion. Also, Umran seems to at least have the mentality to go for his shots, so his batting could be developed. 

Mohsin is said to have some ability with bat..

1 hour ago, sarchasm said:

Indian selectors are a case study.

They'd pick a bowler from a flash in the pan IPL season and keep giving him chances regardless of performances. And then there are others who toil and perform in domestics and IPL and yet they either get no chances or find themselves dropped forever after an odd average performance.

Arshdeep has skills Yorker and swing bowling perfect for opening and finishing. He didn’t play for a while and had the whole no ball issue. Are there any in domestics and IPL who picked more wickets than arshdeep ?

7 hours ago, gattaca said:

He bowled well against Pakistan in WC got quick wickets. Really can’t blame one person for the losses. It’s not a stat to compare since we are just one month in 23. 

Appears as if you know nothing about him bowling 5 no balls (also he is the bowler with the most no balls since 2022. The next worst at that point was 5, which Arshdeep bowled in a single game) at crucial stages against SL and then the 27 runs last over (which is similar to someone hitting 7 4s in an over, bowled a no ball too) versus NZ. 

Everyone who knows knows what the conditions were in Melbourne. Don’t make general statements to specific points.

Edited by zen
3 minutes ago, Lord said:

good comeback today 2-7 in slog overs. Proved important in the end

That bounce he generates and directs at the body is pretty accurate unlike the harmless Thakur bouncers, Mavi bouncers, Bhuvi bouncers.  He has to master consistency and avoid avoidable errors like noball. But that is easier than our trundlers trying to bounce out opposition.

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

That bounce he generates and directs at the body is pretty accurate unlike the harmless Thakur bouncers, Mavi bouncers, Bhuvi bouncers.  He has to master consistency and avoid avoidable errors like noball. But that is easier than our trundlers trying to bounce out opposition.

yes got yorkers, decent bouncer and cutter. Not a one trick pony.

Enough to work upon.

No ball issue can be improved with bowling coach.