S Jaishankar - what do you think?

Texan

On 2/1/2023 at 8:57 AM, BacktoCricaddict said:

I have heard Christian nationalism on NPR quite a bit.  The google search just confirmed what I have heard (I didn't want to rely on personal anecdotes to make this point, hence the google search).  The point is that the term "Christian nationalism" is not intentionally avoided.  

My bigger point was that there is no such thing as "Western newspaper."  Does anyone think Fox and NPR are colluding to avoid the use of "Christian nationalism?"  That's laughable.  NPR will collude with Indian left-wing media before they collude with Fox. 

If anything, SJ is deliberately feeding people's "see ... the West hates us" emotions.  Given that he ain't stupid, it's likely a clever, deliberate and tactical, albeit false, statement. 

Only elites in US consider NPR a media outlet. It is about narrative building. For the liberal media anywhere, Nationalism has a negative connotation as it led to multiple wars in Europe.  When they call BJP, a Hindu Nationalist Party, they are using it as a slur. Nobody in NYT or WaPo builds a similar narrative for Christian Nationalism. They are mostly about White Supremacy or Evangelist coalition , I don’t know anybody in the world knows are cares about Christian Nationalism goes to Google to see a narrative built. MAGA  has a lot of white Christian support, very rarely they call it Christian Nationalism . 

I don’t think SJ is playing a victim card. But saying it aloud what is considered Politically Incorrect. 

32 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Only elites in US consider NPR a media outlet. It is about narrative building. For the liberal media anywhere, Nationalism has a negative connotation as it led to multiple wars in Europe.  When they call BJP, a Hindu Nationalist Party, they are using it as a slur. Nobody in NYT or WaPo builds a similar narrative for Christian Nationalism. They are mostly about White Supremacy or Evangelist coalition , I don’t know anybody in the world knows are cares about Christian Nationalism goes to Google to see a narrative built. MAGA  has a lot of white Christian support, very rarely they call it Christian Nationalism . 

I don’t think SJ is playing a victim card. But saying it aloud what is considered Politically Incorrect. 

The point was not about NPR.  The point was to show you that from NPR (Libbu) to CNN (mostly Libbu) to Fox (Cons), they all use the term "Christian Nationalism" frequently.  And to show that "Western newspaper", as stated by SJ, is not a thing.

To suggest otherwise is disingenuous and/or a tactical ploy - "see, they hate us ...."

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

Just got back from a drive ... listening to NPR ... they had a program called "TakeAway." 

https://www.wunc.org/show/the-takeaway

They spent the whole segment discussing the perils and evils of Christian nationalism with Bradley Onishi, the author of the book "Preparing for War: The Extremist History of White Christian Nationalism" 

And the host and guest used the term "Christian nationalism" about 50 times during my drive.  All I could think of during the entire segment was:

B2C 1 

ICF SJ fan club 0

:-)

But then again, SJ fans can argue that SJ said "Western newspapers,"not "radio programs," so ...

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

19 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Just got back from a drive ... listening to NPR ... they had a program called "TakeAway." 

https://www.wunc.org/show/the-takeaway

They spent the whole segment discussing the perils and evils of Christian nationalism with Bradley Onishi, the author of the book "Preparing for War: The Extremist History of White Christian Nationalism" 

And the host and guest used the term "Christian nationalism" about 50 times during my drive.  All I could think of during the entire segment was:

B2C 1 

ICF SJ fan club 0

:-)

But then again, SJ fans can argue that SJ said "Western newspapers,"not "radio programs," so ...

Thamma, you still don’t get what SJ is saying. They are equating White Supremacist Christian Nationalism with Hindu Nationalism. We can argue till the buffaloes come home, but in any opinion Hindu Nationalists don’t speak anything close to being supremacist, but of cultural unification. Western media , NPR  or Paper, they will never get this, and it’s futile to yearn for their approval. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Thamma, you still don’t get what SJ is saying. They are equating White Supremacist Christian Nationalism with Hindu Nationalism. We can argue till the buffaloes come home, but in any opinion Hindu Nationalists don’t speak anything close to being supremacist, but of cultural unification. Western media , NPR  or Paper, they will never get this, and it’s futile to yearn for their approval. 

That is not what I am arguing.  The OP stated a claim from SJ that "Western newspapers" (whatever that is) do not use the term "Christian nationalism" but will use the term "Hindu Nationalism."  And that is simply not true - as shown multiple times. 

Your much beloved NPR repeatedly condemns Christian nationalism in no uncertain terms. 

2 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

That is not what I am arguing.  The OP stated a claim from SJ that "Western newspapers" (whatever that is) do not use the term "Christian nationalism" but will use the term "Hindu Nationalism."  And that is simply not true - as shown multiple times. 

Your much beloved NPR repeatedly condemns Christian nationalism in no uncertain terms. 

You are going all Zoobear on SJ, fact-checking his statement which was said in the context of BBC documentary on Modi. He was criticizing their hypocrisy and said “foreign” newspapers. As if BBC or American newspapers call a mainstream Conservative or Republicans lParty as Christian Nationalist Party unlike for India. They call BJP as a Hindu Nationalist Party which is as mainstream as the CP or RP in UK/US. . Of late, there is a lot of press on SJ with comments on Western countries’ double standards and you can’t call it playing a victim card, that’s all.

On 2/2/2023 at 8:34 AM, coffee_rules said:

The term Christain Nationalism is springing up. Rarely though.

As far as BJP is concerned I like it because of its certain policies but there are undertones of Hindu Nationalism in it too. Nothing is perfect, it is all shades of grey.

On 4/3/2023 at 5:05 PM, Khota said:

The term Christain Nationalism is springing up. Rarely though.

Thats the point ... In Germany , they call it Christian democrats instead of nationalists. The connotation is not just a happenstance