Ponting hails double ICC Awards winner Babar Azam

Deucalion

30 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Rizwan won't be better wk-bat than Moin in ODIs. Rizwan has SR of 86 in 2020s. Moin had 80+ in 90s.

Rizwan was averaging in high 20s despite being a MO batsman. Moin was good hitter in lower order.

Moin is an option too but one cannot go by stats alone as the roles are different. Moin would be competing with Afridi Sr, a game changer, for a position in the lower middle order … While Rizwan is slotted in as an opener (or in the top 3), where he is used to batting at. And even if he gets out early, that may not impact Pak too much. 

PS only if Majid Khan could keep wkts! 

Edited by zen
12 hours ago, putrevus said:

No he is not, I would take even Devon Conway over him. He is a very good player but overrated, he is better version of Rahane to me. The roads they laid for the home season were despicable.

Any batsman worth his salt would make merry on those picthes.

Wow, please point me an innings of Babar close to Rahane's 100 at lord's in 2014 or 100 at MCG in 2021. Babar has a grand total of 1 hundred outside Asia. Rahane is inconsistent but has played some iconic Test innings overseas. Babar is yet to do that. 

11 hours ago, StraightDrive26 said:

Wow, please point me an innings of Babar close to Rahane's 100 at lord's in 2014 or 100 at MCG in 2021. Babar has a grand total of 1 hundred outside Asia. Rahane is inconsistent but has played some iconic Test innings overseas. Babar is yet to do that. 

How many test has he played outside Asia. Rahane other than those two 100s has done nothing for decade or more.

He looked out of depth on spicy  Australian tracks. Also Olivier gave him a real working over with short ball dismissing thrice in a row with short ball. Then aainst in 2019 world cup on a bouncy track he looked out of depth.  Even Bhuvi bounced him out at UAE on a slightly bouncy pitch. These weaknesses are masked on very low bounce pitches in Pakistan.  He doesn't have that authoritative pull shot against on bouncy tracks. Bit like Mayank in that area.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:16 AM, putrevus said:

How many test has he played outside Asia. Rahane other than those two 100s has done nothing for decade or more.

Babar has played enough. Rahane scored hundreds in England (in a win), Australia and New Zealand on his first tours, that is already 2 more than Babar has scored so far in his career outside Asia in 40 innings (includes Ireland & Zimbabwe, teams Rahane hasn't played). Yeah Rahane is ordinary but I will always take young Rahane who was more clutch outside Asia at the start of his career than Babar, who just scores pretty runs when things are in his favour. 

16 hours ago, StraightDrive26 said:

Babar has played enough. Rahane scored hundreds in England (in a win), Australia and New Zealand on his first tours, that is already 2 more than Babar has scored so far in his career outside Asia in 40 innings (includes Ireland & Zimbabwe, teams Rahane hasn't played). Yeah Rahane is ordinary but I will always take young Rahane who was more clutch outside Asia at the start of his career than Babar, who just scores pretty runs when things are in his favour. 

Young Rahane lasted less than 10 tests and then he started to stink for more than decade. Other than those two- three innings he has nothing for a decade. Babar is `100 times better than Rahane ever was in his career.

Rahane is the worst investment India has made in last decade.

13 hours ago, putrevus said:

Young Rahane lasted less than 10 tests and then he started to stink for more than decade. Other than those two- three innings he has nothing for a decade. Babar is `100 times better than Rahane ever was in his career.

Rahane is the worst investment India has made in last decade.

Babar might be better but Rahane achieved more in Tests. Not only was he part of some Test wins overseas, he also captained India to a win in Australia. Just weight of runs and looking pretty while getting them doesn't make someone great.

Edited by StraightDrive26
13 hours ago, StraightDrive26 said:

Babar might be better but Rahane achieved more in Tests. Not only was he part of some Test wins overseas, he also captained India to a win in Australia. Just weight of runs and looking pretty while getting them doesn't make someone great.

then Ponting is twice the cricketer Sachin ever was.

4 hours ago, Lord said:

then Ponting is twice the cricketer Sachin ever was.

I am talking about scoring runs overseas outside Asia. Babar has no hundreds except for one in Australia. Rahane in his first 15 Tests had more outside Asia hundreds than Babar has had now in 40 innings. Scoring 100's on those flat dead pitches is good but when he starts piling on hundreds in SENA or even in WI, I would put him ahead of Rahane. At the moment he is good but not great. His average can be deceiving. Mahela Jayawardane averaged 50 in Tests, you don't see him put in the same bracket as Lara, Sangakkara, Sachin, Ponting etc. Reason? Majority of his runs and hundreds came at home and he struggled scoring big runs outside Asia. Babar is a good batsman but his temperament is questionable. He does score some pretty runs overseas but rarely converts them into big runs. Sachin was different, he did that at a very young age, Babar at the age of 28 hasn't done it yet. 

I mentioned Rahane's captaincy as I wanted to highlight his temperament. Rahane was a brilliant player, he just was too loose to succeed consistently in Tests. But what Rahane did as a young player in SENA in 2013-2015 is yet to be matched by Babar. Below is a comparison of the two players in their first 25 innings in SENA. Babar has overall struggled outside Asia. He has even played in Ireland & Zimbabwe where Rahane never got a chance.

Rahane in his first 25 innings in SENA averaged 48 with 3 hundreds. Babar in his first 26 innings in SENA averages 39 with just 1 hundred. If we include Ireland, Zimbabwe & West Indies as well his average drops to 36 with 1 hundred in 40 innings. This is what I am talking about. The disparity in runs/hundreds he has scored at home than outside Asia. He has a long way to go. It is funny that even in his entire career when he went through an enormous slump for more than 3 years, Rahane averages 38 in SENA & West Indies with 6 hundreds. :)

It is all very easy to throw statements like Ponting was twice the player Sachin was but again the argument should be based on facts and performance. Even if I agree Ponting was better than Sachin it does not change my opinion on Babar. He is only 28 and I will surely change my opinion if he actually starts matching his home successes outside Asia. Till then I will not accept he is better than anyone. Right now he is on par with Mahela Jayawardane, who was a beast in Asia and scored few runs overseas but was never considered on par with greats. 

Edited by StraightDrive26
18 hours ago, StraightDrive26 said:

I am talking about scoring runs overseas outside Asia. Babar has no hundreds except for one in Australia. Rahane in his first 15 Tests had more outside Asia hundreds than Babar has had now in 40 innings. Scoring 100's on those flat dead pitches is good but when he starts piling on hundreds in SENA or even in WI, I would put him ahead of Rahane. At the moment he is good but not great. His average can be deceiving. Mahela Jayawardane averaged 50 in Tests, you don't see him put in the same bracket as Lara, Sangakkara, Sachin, Ponting etc. Reason? Majority of his runs and hundreds came at home and he struggled scoring big runs outside Asia. Babar is a good batsman but his temperament is questionable. He does score some pretty runs overseas but rarely converts them into big runs. Sachin was different, he did that at a very young age, Babar at the age of 28 hasn't done it yet. 

I mentioned Rahane's captaincy as I wanted to highlight his temperament. Rahane was a brilliant player, he just was too loose to succeed consistently in Tests. But what Rahane did as a young player in SENA in 2013-2015 is yet to be matched by Babar. Below is a comparison of the two players in their first 25 innings in SENA. Babar has overall struggled outside Asia. He has even played in Ireland & Zimbabwe where Rahane never got a chance.

Rahane in his first 25 innings in SENA averaged 48 with 3 hundreds. Babar in his first 26 innings in SENA averages 39 with just 1 hundred. If we include Ireland, Zimbabwe & West Indies as well his average drops to 36 with 1 hundred in 40 innings. This is what I am talking about. The disparity in runs/hundreds he has scored at home than outside Asia. He has a long way to go. It is funny that even in his entire career when he went through an enormous slump for more than 3 years, Rahane averages 38 in SENA & West Indies with 6 hundreds. :)

It is all very easy to throw statements like Ponting was twice the player Sachin was but again the argument should be based on facts and performance. Even if I agree Ponting was better than Sachin it does not change my opinion on Babar. He is only 28 and I will surely change my opinion if he actually starts matching his home successes outside Asia. Till then I will not accept he is better than anyone. Right now he is on par with Mahela Jayawardane, who was a beast in Asia and scored few runs overseas but was never considered on par with greats. 

no you were talking about team results and captaincy.

Rest all is irrelevant

On 2/1/2023 at 10:19 PM, StraightDrive26 said:

India has been  stronger team than Pakistan in last 20 years so team results will favour Rahane.It is like saying Ponting is better than Sachin.

Babar as of today is already far better overall batsman than Rahane ever was in his career. Rahane is the worst investment India ever made along with KL Rahul.

Edited by putrevus
On 2/4/2023 at 2:20 AM, Lord said:

no you were talking about team results and captaincy.

Rest all is irrelevant

I was talking about how Rahane has been useful overseas and Babar hasn't been. He hasn't converted any of his runs into big ones to even help his team out. Even in SA where he scored some pretty runs, none of them were converted into a big one to help his team gain an advantage. Rahane isn't a great player but he has overall been good for India in overseas Tests. Babar has been good in Asia and has scored some runs overseas but he isn't as great as what Ponting is making him out to be. He has a long way to go. His average basically oversells him, he is not that good yet. It is similar to Thilan Samaraweera who at one point averaged 50+ in Tests, load of runs at home/Asia, good performances in NZ, WI & SA (hint look Babar's Test record), same as Babar. I brought results with Rahane is that he always stood out initially in his career when the team has down and out multiple times. Even in Melbourne when the team was down and out he scored that 100. It affected the result but that is not the point I was trying to make. 

barber either gets too hyped up or too bashed. as far as I'm concerned, he is in top 7 pak batters of all time, but not in top 3 or 4.

my top 3 from those I saw: miandad, younis, inzi

next 4: saeed anway, mohd yousuf (mo yo at peak would be in top 1, but over entire career he was lower), zaheer abbas, babar azam

of this 7, babar reminds me most of zaheer. very elegant player who can pulverize weak attacks and/or on flat tracks, but does not show up against top teams on spicier pitches.