Am I the only one reluctant to watch India when KL is in the playing XI ? Averages less than 35 in 45 tests. Is he Brijesh Patel’s karnataka quota guy ?

He is turning into another Rahane, who will have a medicore career overall with some knocks here so that his selection can be justified by TM.

His fortune changed in ODI's when he picked up gloves, which gave impetus to his career ahead of Pant and Ishan Kishan.
Our selectors who can't distinguish the difference between formats decided him as one of our main batter everywhere.

He is average but he is better than the 35 average. Why?

1. Because he had a comparatively better series in England and South Africa since his return. Mayank, for example, fared worse than him and he was second best batsman in that series.

2. He has played more overseas test than at home. I know his home stats are not outrageous but he showed vs Australia last time that he can play useful knocks on turners too. 

However, being a mental midget he is, when push comes to shove, he will crumble first and that will impact his game irrespective of conditions. He doesn't have high ceiling because of that aspect of his game.

Edited by Majestic
16 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

He is talented but mentally weak but no point singling him out when we have rohit and kohli still playing.

Rohit's HTB skill might be useful. But kohli is past it. Yes Rahul hasn't played at home in a long time. But his performance in BD was cringeworthy. That too after his talk about baseball. Puara is another free rider. Rahul needs to have bumper series. Can't score a 100 in first test and go missing in all the other tests. Did that in England, SA.  Pant is our crunch man along with Jaddu these days. Rohit mostly at home.

35 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

There is an article on him today waxing lyrical about how he has scored 3 centuries in SENA. 

KL Rahul, still in no-man's land in Test cricket

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/kl-rahul-still-in-no-man-s-land-in-test-cricket-india-vs-australia-border-gavaskar-trophy-series-1357560

The author is an idiot, does he know other than those innings , this bozo has done nothing in all formats.

3 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

For a long time argument was that he is not able to establish himself because he is not getting a long enough rope in the team in 1 position. And first class record is one thing but when he made his debut in 2014 in Australia he was quite highly regarded and his talent was quite evident. Until the 2021 summer he was not guaranteed a place in any format in the Indian side then the England and Saf tours happened after which he never looked back. Now he has earned defacto senior status ergo unless he fails badly he is untouchable. Within 24 months that is some turnaround in fortunes.

We did win those tests in England & SA where he scored those centuries... Just that consistency was missing and further he went missing in other format. Seems like he loses focus after a good knock

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

But Kohli was jealous of his talent when he was the captain according to many geniuses who want him out now.

Him and kohli are friends and have cleverly, at times through deceit kept many endorsements within themselves, remember about the in fighting in the team during 2018, dhawan was dropped, Rahul in, dhawan and his Mrs became close with Ritika rohits wife, dhawan since then has been managed by her, the only reason why dhawan maintained his place in odis till late was due to Rohit, gill is neither Rohit or kohli camp, iyer to finds it hard to get endorsements, the smart one is pandya who keeps it cool with both camps and keeps making huge money. 

I have seen many dud Indian cricketers since 1990, but these batsmen top the list as they played a lot -

Ambati Rayadu

W Saha

H Badani

Dinesh Mongia

S Karim

KL Rahul

KL, Saha and Rayadu are by far THE worst, as they have a hype train going for them. Rayadu was portrayed as some sort of victim and martyr. One look at his batting and I figured out that he is the Farad Alam of Indian cricket. An ugly looking ineffective batsman. Same with Saha, a victim according to melancholic Bhogle. KL hype is on another level, guy is a celebrity and has hogged so much limelight for achieving so little. 

I don't even want to start on bowling duds like Unadkat, Mohit Sharma etc. But that's understandable India was never a bowling powerhouse. But Rayadu and KL playing this number of matches is a travesty in most populous country with most batting talent.

2 hours ago, Vancouver said:

I have seen many dud Indian cricketers since 1990, but these batsmen top the list as they played a lot -

Ambati Rayadu

W Saha

H Badani

Dinesh Mongia

S Karim

KL Rahul

KL, Saha and Rayadu are by far THE worst, as they have a hype train going for them. Rayadu was portrayed as some sort of victim and martyr. One look at his batting and I figured out that he is the Farad Alam of Indian cricket. An ugly looking ineffective batsman. Same with Saha, a victim according to melancholic Bhogle. KL hype is on another level, guy is a celebrity and has hogged so much limelight for achieving so little. 

I don't even want to start on bowling duds like Unadkat, Mohit Sharma etc. But that's understandable India was never a bowling powerhouse. But Rayadu and KL playing this number of matches is a travesty in most populous country with most batting talent.

India dint unleash many bowling talents when they were in form and fully fit. Happened ever so often. 

Nathu singh wasn't given a chance when he was in peak shape

Siraj came in 2 years late

Saini 2 years late post injury

Pankaj singh debuted well past his expiry date

Prasidh still hasn't got any opportunity in red ball where he did well

Also India gives debuts to players in the wrong formats consistently