Supporters of Amritpal Singh take over a police station in Amritsar

randomGuy

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Yes the delta on tangibles doesn't work out especially for mid career moves. For intangibles, there is a clear trade off. I think exposure for a while abroad still has huge cultural value. Especially on personal growth. Long term not sure. 

On the pros of the west - even in India - other than commuting, public utilities are usually no problem in the tier 1 cities. In my apt it is rare to have a blackout or an outage of any utility - same as I experienced in the US.

Work culture has also evolved tremendously in the pvt sector. The younger folks today draw a clear line between work life and personal life. Those in startups or high stress jobs do not have work-life balance anyways. That said, having your parents or some relatives around always make it easier to bring up your family than in places like the US. I don't know how it is in Europe/Aus - but kids here are able to go to their own classes on cycles/taking autos once they become 10+yrs - so no having to drive your kids around endlessly like in the US from class to class. 

21 minutes ago, bharathh said:

On the pros of the west - even in India - other than commuting, public utilities are usually no problem in the tier 1 cities. In my apt it is rare to have a blackout or an outage of any utility - same as I experienced in the US.

Work culture has also evolved tremendously in the pvt sector. The younger folks today draw a clear line between work life and personal life. Those in startups or high stress jobs do not have work-life balance anyways. That said, having your parents or some relatives around always make it easier to bring up your family than in places like the US. I don't know how it is in Europe/Aus - but kids here are able to go to their own classes on cycles/taking autos once they become 10+yrs - so no having to drive your kids around endlessly like in the US from class to class. 

Yes, indeed. The quality of life debate is now hinging on matter of pollution. That's it. The only other thing I can think of is that there still higher pay for certain professions. There maybe greater headspace in living abroad with lesser impact of herd mindset. Work culture has evolved but still a long way to go. Especially calling on personal time. I think there is greater need for global mindset in India. Its happening though. In next 5 years with double the GDP, it will have an impact across the board.

17 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Yes, indeed. The quality of life debate is now hinging on matter of pollution. That's it. The only other thing I can think of is that there still higher pay for certain professions. There maybe greater headspace in living abroad with lesser impact of herd mindset. Work culture has evolved but still a long way to go. Especially calling on personal time. I think there is greater need for global mindset in India. Its happening though. In next 5 years with double the GDP, it will have an impact across the board.

Yes def. Ppl of some professions like doctors def have a way better life in the US (I know of friends who hate working in the UK). However, they do have to live in godforsaken places for a while before they can make it to the bigger cities and have a good life. 

In India otoh - you can have a thriving private practice which is guaranteed to make you filthy rich if you are half decent. Those that only work in hospitals though do have a better time in the US. I am guessing it must be the same for lawyers, professors, and many other white collar professions as well. Not including blue collar which IMO is not comparable in a favourable sense here in India. Even those who want to start things like singing/dance classes earn really well abroad. They will not be able to earn as much in India for sure.

Edited by bharathh

8 hours ago, Under_Score said:

Even though I feel like Amritpal's days are numbered in Punjab....I was surprised to see him speaking Hindi & English fluently regarding his views....What do you guys make of this interview?

Have seen other vids but not this one...My thoughts on Amritpal: Very unimpressive, only idiots will follow him of which there's no dearth ...partly delusional, partly dishonest...entitlement mentality, supremacist, racist.. happens to be a very good looking guy...

Edited by randomGuy

5 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Cant speak for other cities, but was visiting a friend in Ghatkoper from Malad (my base) it took 2 hours in an uber....on a Saturday.

Mumbai has major transport issues. I shall wait for the metro to be fully initialised before making a call but geography is a major barrier. Its around 40-45km from Mira Road/Thane to Colaba. Probably not so much of an issue in Ahmedabad, Pune Hyderabad and Bangalore given they are circular. 

The best quality of life is in these 4-6million population cities. Not too small and not too big.  India needs around 15 of these types of cities to really improve life. Mega cities like Mumbai, Delhi Kolkata etc are not the solution.

23 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Cant speak for other cities, but was visiting a friend in Ghatkoper from Malad (my base) it took 2 hours in an uber....on a Saturday.

Mumbai has major transport issues. I shall wait for the metro to be fully initialised before making a call but geography is a major barrier. Its around 40-45km from Mira Road/Thane to Colaba. Probably not so much of an issue in Ahmedabad, Pune Hyderabad and Bangalore given they are circular. 

The best quality of life is in these 4-6million population cities. Not too small and not too big.  India needs around 15 of these types of cities to really improve life. Mega cities like Mumbai, Delhi Kolkata etc are not the solution.

My bet is that post the metros and coastal road, the scenario could change drastically in Mumbai. As someone from Malad, the travel to Andheri takes 20 min by Metro. Unthinkable before. I believe the worst should be over by end of this year. 

Ahmedabad is certainly a great city. I would Hyderabad too. More than size I believe connectivity is an issue. Mumbai is nowhere as big as Berlin. But infrastructure cannot keep up with rampant immigration.

In Maharashtra, Nagpur needs to be developed. Its too dependent on one city.  

Mumbai needs out of the box thinking.

State govs needs to aggressively push WFH as a policy with tax breaks. along with broadband connectivity.  I understand the service class will alone benefit from this, but if 20% of people can be reduced from the rush hour then it will make a difference alongside the metro for people who commute.

Problem is that there are many "old school" people who believe work can happen only in the office. 

Mumbai was fundamentally planned wrong. In the 1970s and 80s Nariman point/fort was the commercial hub which is right at the tip of the city. I am glad they started BKC, but in reality rather than having distributed hubs like Powai Andheri Parel etc, BKC should have been a 500 million Grade A office space right in the middle of the city.  

Same issue with many other places. Gurugram (NCR) Hinjewadi (Pune) are hubs located on the outskirts of the city. If somebody from North Delhi gets a job in Gurugram, metro or no metro the commute will take a long long time.

These are historic planning blunders which will mean commutes are going to be a big issue in Indian cities. 

Coming back to Punjab.

See leaving for foreign shores is not just for Punjab. Gujratis are known for migrating as well. Haryana is in the same boat and Mumbai too sheds many people (for whatever reasons). But that does not stop say Haryana or other parts of the country (Telugu states and USA) from having a vibrant economy.

Punjab needs a vibrant economy. Full stop. They also need a proper leader. Even if Mann might be a clean guy with no issues  if he constantly appears as Kejriwals sidekick then it gives a vibe that he is not in control of things. Mann needs to forget about expanding AAP like when he visited UT in Mumbai. Let AK do all that. Just be in Punjab on the ground. 

When Punjab is simmering you are busy addressing rallies in Chhatisgrah? A state in which AAP has next to no presence. All because AK wants to use the Punjab gov exchequer to finance (with transport etc) AAPs campaign?

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/arvind-kejriwal-bhagwant-mann-to-address-chhattisgarh-rally-to-boost-aap-prospects-ahead-of-polls/article66583067.ece

Mann has kept the home ministry which controls the police for himself. If you want to join AK on the campaign trail when there are law and order issues in Punjab why not give the ministry to a capable minister who will be rooted to Punjab?

Khalistan is a demand for a separate state in India without including the birthplace of the man who founded Sikhi (Guru Nanak), that shows the ideological bankruptcy of the movement. Of course, anybody pro-Khalistani will be considered desh ka gaddar and sahi mein goli maaro saalon ko. 

Edited by coffee_rules

Punjab poals denying his arrest while his supporters saying he has been picked up.

Looks like he will never be seen again like Maulana Saad of Tablighi Jamat.

Number of MPs in Canada are tweeting about it. Hope Indian state gives a middle finger to Kanneda govt if it tries to make even any sound on India's internal matter. 

Edited by Number

"As per 2001 census, the child sex ratio among Hindu was 925 girls against 1,000 boys, Muslims 950 girls, Christians 964 girls, Sikhs 786 girls, Buddhists 942 girls and Jains 870 girls against 1,000 boys"

This is 2001 data, so boys born during this time will now be 20-30 yo. For every 100 Sikh boys in this age group, there are no Sikh girls for 21 of them due to female foeticide...not enough girls could lead to discontent, drugs, violence. China has similar imbalance which is the reason why they look for brides from Pakistan, philipines etc.

Edited by randomGuy

2 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

One of the biggest non-mysteries is how Amritpal transformed from this to this-

images-1.jpg

And why an NRI was chosen as successor to Waris Punjab Da. Not hard to establish a link here.

Something definitely at play here. AAP planted him to garner sentiments of seperatism to get BJP votes ? Or BJP planted him through some agencies ? 

With so many leaders being picked up this "Virus Punjab De" seems finished.

4 hours ago, Under_Score said:

Please post the other video, This video is more like educating those people here on ICF who go into a 'panic attack' mental disintegration mode as soon as they hear the word 'Khalistan' :phehe:

No one goes in panic mode. Infact Khalistanis and their supporters are class 1 chewt if they think they can get a Khalistan if they failed in 80s and 90s. Gap between Separtists ability vs power of Indian State has become so big that even Kashmir has been nearly dealt with. 

BTW its same globally. Stronger states have no separatist risk