‘It’s a shame if you are not fit as a captain’: Kapil Dev says overweight Rohit Sharma ‘needs to put some hard work on it’

1 hour ago, SRT100 said:

Agree.

Please trust me when I say that I follow very very closely in the AFL how players recover from a torn ACL and need an operation. Probably better than almost everyone on here.

The injury, the treatment and the recovery process is a very long, slow arduous process. Its lonely and you spend a lot of time by yourself needing to actively recover.

I dont believe Pant has the mindset or the mental fortitude to endure this.

I definitely believe Kohli could, you can see he has a very strong, strict work ethic.

I felt when I heard about Pant's car accident, I was really mourning the death of his career for India. I really hope he proves me totally wrong here.

he will "endure" it, I think, by binging massively on junk food, junk TV, etc. would be happy to proven wrong

1 hour ago, SRT100 said:

Agree.

Please trust me when I say that I follow very very closely in the AFL how players recover from a torn ACL and need an operation. Probably better than almost everyone on here.

The injury, the treatment and the recovery process is a very long, slow arduous process. Its lonely and you spend a lot of time by yourself needing to actively recover.

I dont believe Pant has the mindset or the mental fortitude to endure this.

I definitely believe Kohli could, you can see he has a very strong, strict work ethic.

I felt when I heard about Pant's car accident, I was really mourning the death of his career for India. I really hope he proves me totally wrong here.

i would not dismiss Pant's determination so easily.  Adversity often brings out the unexpected best in people. Especially something like this where you almost lost your life and definitely lost a big chunk of a superstar career can transform you.  I have all the confidence that the knee rehab will go extremely well, and he will also pay attention to PTs and other fitness experts about overall fitness and how important that will be to put less stress on his knees when he returns. 

Given that none of us knows exactly what is going to happen, why don't you and @Vijy come over to the optimistic side :-)?

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
14 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

i would not dismiss Pant's determination so easily.  Adversity often brings out the unexpected best in people. Especially something like this where you almost lost your life and definitely lost a big chunk of a superstar career can transform you.  I have all the confidence that the knee rehab will go extremely well, and he will also pay attention to PTs and other fitness experts about overall fitness and how important that will be to put less stress on his knees when he returns. 

Given that none of us knows exactly what is going to happen, why don't you and @Vijy come over to the optimistic side :-)?

because ACL injuries are very tough to handle - it's a bit of "all or nothing" and pant's weight was already ballooning pre-injury :)

good to remain optimistic, but also good to balance it with some pessimism

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I genuinely want to be proven wrong, I would love it, I would love to see him performing the same if not better prior to his injury.

Even if realistically its 12 months from now, I will wait with hope.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

he will "endure" it, I think, by binging massively on junk food, junk TV, etc. would be happy to proven wrong

Thats the thing, with so much time on your hands and being so wealthy where money is not an issue, he could easily engage in eating high calorie food for months on end.

What cricketers in India fail to grasp is that they have limited earning potential and they need to make sacrifices.

2 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Imagine my surprise that you counted Iyer the dud in the same league as Gill and conscious about batting. :hysterical: 

More like constipiation rather than surprise as you get constipated if someone appreciates anyone with surname Iyer. May be you think sarfraz khan is a brahmin too. For the record I am not lol.  These kind of dumb parochial minded guys don't think beyond race/caste.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

There are four categories

1) Over conscious about fitness look

Example: Pandya, Kohli

2) Conscious about improvement of batting and fitness

Example : Gill, Shreyas Iyer

3) Conscious only about batting

Example: Pant/Rohit

4) Conscious about nothing

Example: Chahal

pant and rohit are quite conscious about food... or rather, conscious of craving it

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

5) Conscious about Buffet

10 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

How are Pandya and Kohli over conscious.Players have responsibility to be fit and if they want to become best fielding side  (not catching that is different aspect) they have to be super fit.

Both Pandya and Kohli are the benchmarks for all other players . 

Rohit should be ashamed of his tummy and  as a captain he is setting such a poor example.

One thing I admire Pandya is about his fitness.He is superfit and excellent outfielder.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

How are Pandya and Kohli over conscious.Players have responsibility to be fit and if they want to become best fielding side  (not catching that is different aspect) they have to be super fit.

Both Pandya and Kohli are the benchmarks for all other players . 

Rohit should be ashamed of his tummy and  as a captain he is setting such a poor example.

One thing I admire Pandya is about his fitness.He is superfit and excellent outfielder.

Nothing wrong as long as he works on his batting as well other than a few net sessions.  If you don' score runs no point in having six pack. If you break down every 2 overs every 3 matchesn then also it is useless. We don't care about their fitness if they field well, catch well, bat well, bowl well.  Kohli for all his fitness drops one dolly after another.

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Nothing wrong as long as he works on his batting as well other than a few net sessions.  If you don' score runs no point in having six pack. If you break down every 2 overs every 3 matchesn then also it is useless. We don't care about their fitness if they field well, catch well, bat well, bowl well.  Kohli for all his fitness drops one dolly after another.

I disagree, Kohli was superfit even when he was churning those runs. His form and fitness are two different things. He has technical issues with his batting which he may or maynot overcome but he has never compromised on his fitness which is praiseworthy.

Fitness and catching are two things things.Jadeja and Kohli were the best outfielders but both of them are bad slip fielders.

Unpopular opinion , fitness is overrated when you are talking about top level cricketers especially batsmen. 

It is needed to set a minimum standard of fielding (which Rohit does show) but it can't come in place of core competencies. 

There's really no point in Kohli being ultra fit when he really can't pick the ball when it swings , spins or seams.... 

Focus on getting the core competencies right and then work on the fitness aspects of those who are valued enough in those aspects

21 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I disagree, Kohli was superfit even when he was churning those runs. His form and fitness are two different things. He has technical issues with his batting which he may or maynot overcome but he has never compromised on his fitness which is praiseworthy.

Fitness and catching are two things things.Jadeja and Kohli were the best outfielders but both of them are bad slip fielders.

Out of form for 3 years is too much. He should spend more time in the nets or domestic matches rather than in gym