Rank the fast bowlers of this era in order of their bowling perdormances

Majestic

1 hour ago, speedracer said:

This your ranking? Or you just giving your opinion about each bowler in general? 

Ranking and general observations abt the bowlers, ppl may disagree as ppl have different scales on which they measure.

But I understand Anderson can not #1 , plays only 1 format but I think now he deserves to be in same list as McGrath and Akram. He is consistently getting wkts  and has impacts on games.

Edited by tapandrun
13 minutes ago, tapandrun said:

Ranking and general observations abt the bowlers, ppl may disagree as ppl have different scales on which they measure.

But I understand Anderson can not #1 , plays only 1 format but I think now he deserves to be in same list as McGrath and Akram. He is consistently getting wkts  and has impacts on games.

Hard to say with andu. I have seen get smashed around. I have seen him run through teams. I still believe he is widely overrated outside helpful conditions. In my opinion he isn't good enough to be top 3. 

If bumrah Cummins rabada had to focus specifically in one format alone, they would be tiers above him. 

In saying that, based on test exploits, each and everyone of those bowlers mentioned above have the ability to be number 1 on their day

To me the best bowler is the one who us effective even on flat wickets with no helpful conditions. That's between chuckrah scummins most likely. Assuming everyone is fit. 

Body of work and all that crap factored in you can make a case for kabada who is overrated again due to poor performances in India lungaa etc and even in pak.

As for bowling in helpful seaming conditions, any of them can be deadly on their day. Would say andu in swing conditions and bumrah scummo in spicy bouncy wickets. 

Edited by speedracer
18 hours ago, tapandrun said:

1. Anderson - Its amazing how he is still not talked about in the same way as Akram/McGrath

2.Rabada pre injury- He is not the same bowler looks v.ordinary

3.Cummins - Any team can bank on him in test he will bowl whole day and not not miss the line/length

4. Starc- V. dependable in all 3 formats

5.Archer- Since his debut no-one seems to be able to  dominate him in any format

6.Bhumrah-Does not play test in Ind , when ever Ind needs him in an Impt. game he is mostly unable to deliver.

6.Shaheen- Good in White ball, Okayish in Test -But I think that is due to PCB and Pak cricket's more attention towards White ball mostly t20

7.Shami- If he had good T20i credentials then he will be up on the list, lacks t20 variations

8.Hazlewood- V.consistant in Test and after IPL stint he is able to bring his T20i game up as well.

9.Boult-V.reliable in all 3 format 

10.Roach/Broad/Southee -He is able to seam/swing the ball in every condition

Nice list … Most of the bowlers are very close to each other, therefore at the end of the day, it may not make a difference where they are put. 

5 hours ago, Strangering said:

I don't have all the stats in my head but - 

Shane Bond is the best fast bowler I've witnessed. Unfortunately, his career was cut too short. 

Bond was great. Could bowl pace, bounce, swing, lethal yorkers, etc.  … As for stats, from top of the mind recall, he played 14 against key teams, I.e. excluding BD and Zim, and picked up 60+ wickets. 

PS I imagine him as someone who could have picked up 200+ wickets if he played 50 tests (could have had stats more or less similar to a Holding maybe). 

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Bond was levels ahead potentially to other Kiwi pacers but unfortunately couldn't have a full fledged career.

he was not levels ahead of hadlee. peak hadlee was not as fast as peak bond, but scored higher in other respects. they were more-or-less equal

An ideal or close to ideal 4 man pace attack would be something like below:

Marshall - most conditions strike bowler 

Hadlee (or someone like a Steyn) - for swing and accuracy (probably the biggest match winner with the ball). Hadlee can bat as well

Ambrose - for bounce (one could even go with an express pace bowler here) 

Imran - as the AR 

Edited by zen
2 hours ago, zen said:

Hadlee (or someone like a Steyn) - for swing and accuracy (probably the biggest match winner with the ball). Hadlee can bat as well

Imran - as the AR 

or miller. otherwise, I agree it's an excellent all-conditions pace attack

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

or miller. otherwise, I agree it's an excellent all-conditions pace attack

Miller is good too but Imran brings in skills such as reverse swing. In his best 45 tests, averaged like 55 with the bat & 20 with the ball! … PS add to that his performance in WI in 1988 3 test series where Pak was probably the first team to challenge “that” WI in WI. Pak drew (Imran picked up like 23 wickets iirc) and which many Pak fans may believe that Pak should have won (if not for “ironically” umpiring).

Edited by zen
4 hours ago, zen said:

Imran - as the AR 

You could also make a case for a left arm pacer here and the choice for that is quite obvious.

9 hours ago, zen said:

Imran - as the AR 

If you would have to trade off for an express bowler who would that be and with whom ? - Thompson, Lee, Akthar

Edited by tapandrun
14 minutes ago, tapandrun said:

If you would have to trade off for an express bowler who would that be and with whom ? - Thompson, Lee, Akthar

Those are good options but I would probably prefer a peak Donald, who is an aggressive bowler … someone like a Waqar bowled 150+ too in the early 90s iirc. 

Ambrose but he is a key bowler as he is extremely lethal in the 4th innings. When on fire, he can win a game from improbable situations. 

Edited by zen
10 hours ago, zen said:

Imran - as the AR 

Mcgrath

Marshall

Holding/garner

Hadlee