Pant potentially out for 1-2 years

zen

20 hours ago, SRT100 said:

It truly saddens me the injury to Pant, because when he was over here in Australia he was something exceptional and I can never forget the constant commentary over the stump mic to the Aussies.

I miss him and I miss how excited he got me to enjoy Test Cricket.

I am a huge Pant Fan Boy, so you can only imagine how devastating as a fan this injury is. Its brings me no pleasure when I say his career is over. Its delusional and almost Bollywood to think otherwise.

Im also very very angry about the decisions he made regards to driving, but he is young and everyone has done foolish things on the road in their youth. I definitely have.

Mind you driving erratically in Australia is far far different to driving in India.

I can confidently say if he was driving a cheap car, he would likely be dead. That Mercedes of his the GLC43 has exceptional safety features.

yes, it's just as well he had a super-expensive car. agree that career at high level cricket is over, but I think he can still play some T20s (selectively) and thus play in some IPLs as pure batter. however, I don't see him returning to international cricket.

Edited by Vijy
11 minutes ago, Vijy said:

yes, it's just as well he had a super-expensive career. agree that career at high level cricket is over, but I think he can still play some T20s (selectively) and thus play in some IPLs as pure batter. however, I don't see him returning to international cricket.

Yes, this I definitely believe will happen.

The BCCI will give him every single opportunity to resurrect his career and yes to some extent he could play some matches against minnows for form and confidence, however I genuinely believe his best will be best past him.

Nothing will make me happier than for him to prove me wrong, however on the balance of probabilities, with every variable considered, I believe its very highly doubtful we will get the version of Pant that we loved and adored.

2 hours ago, SRT100 said:

It truly saddens me the injury to Pant, because when he was over here in Australia he was something exceptional and I can never forget the constant commentary over the stump mic to the Aussies.

I miss him and I miss how excited he got me to enjoy Test Cricket.

I am a huge Pant Fan Boy, so you can only imagine how devastating as a fan this injury is. Its brings me no pleasure when I say his career is over. Its delusional and almost Bollywood to think otherwise.

Im also very very angry about the decisions he made regards to driving, but he is young and everyone has done foolish things on the road in their youth. I definitely have.

Mind you driving erratically in Australia is far far different to driving in India.

I can confidently say if he was driving a cheap car, he would likely be dead. That Mercedes of his the GLC43 has exceptional safety features.

Agree with everything you said except that there’s a chance that had he been driving a cheaper car he’d never have reached the speed or the aerodynamic stability to have a crash as spectacular. 

As an aside, I’ve been on that stretch of the road many times - on average 2/3 times a month over the past decade.  It’s suicidal driving at speed on winter mornings, late evenings or nights. Sometimes so foggy you see maybe 5 feet ahead.  I know he’s a youth and we’ve all done stupid things when young, but what he did goes beyond stupidity.  I know it because I drive (or get driven) there regularly.  And that’s what makes me very angry - what was he thinking?  

1 hour ago, NameGoesHere said:

Agree with everything you said except that there’s a chance that had he been driving a cheaper car he’d never have reached the speed or the aerodynamic stability to have a crash as spectacular. 

As an aside, I’ve been on that stretch of the road many times - on average 2/3 times a month over the past decade.  It’s suicidal driving at speed on winter mornings, late evenings or nights. Sometimes so foggy you see maybe 5 feet ahead.  I know he’s a youth and we’ve all done stupid things when young, but what he did goes beyond stupidity.  I know it because I drive (or get driven) there regularly.  And that’s what makes me very angry - what was he thinking?  

Cheap cars can reach a top speed, its just that it takes longer to reach that level of acceleration.

I cant imagine the conditions in India and in particular in Delhi at the time but as you mentioned, it was Madness.

A Mercedes and in particular that C Class does give you the confidence that you feel like youre invincible on the road. In many ways he was. That crash probably kills most people driving any average car.

Yes I was angry, a lot of emotions for me. Hurt, upset, saddened. Ive been mourning the death of his career in many respects.

I am so sad. People talk about losing bond. Bond was a special player. Just like bumrah is too btw.

Pant is just extra special because he is still a baby. So depressing. 

Hope he takes 2 years to fully recover and come back stronger.

We have all done stupid stuff when we were young but this is a preposterous thing to do. Asinine stuff from pant. Absolutely inexcusable but now I can't help but feel for him. He ruined his life.

6 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Absolute rubbish, if anything given Pant is a wicket keeper his ability to comeback to his former ability is significantly and severely impacted.

He would have sustained more wear and tear on his knee as a wicket keeper than any footballer. Wicket keepers arguably strain their knees than almost more than any other sport out there.

It's a combination of both...but usually the high intensity sprints in football can trigger more knee damage than cricket. And again unless his knees were carrying a previous damage, ACL usually recovers within a year of surgery 

16 hours ago, sandeep said:

That's a very ignorant way of putting it.

To come back from Knee surgery, even to just 'normal' life, is not easy.  For an athlete to manage resumption of peak fitness?  Especially as a wicket-keeper who puts so much stress on knees?  It is by no means a guarantee - forget about year or 2 years, I am talking ever.   

Shami had knee surgery after 2015 WC and he has done fine.  Pujara has had 2-3 knee surgeries.  problem is not injury or surgery but PTSD.  

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He paid visit at the hospital. He just couldn't keep his mouth shut lol He just had to tell the whole world he visited him. 

That is the problem I have with Ganguly,even when he was BCCI president, he just would not shut up.He kept nagging the captain and coach instead of being an adminstrator.

Those politicians cleverly used this guy to get over that Lodha commision issues and kicked him out when he served his purpose.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Shami had knee surgery after 2015 WC and he has done fine.  Pujara has had 2-3 knee surgeries.  problem is not injury or surgery but PTSD.  

what silliness is this - not all knee injuries are created equal.  And wicket-keeping has a uniquely high demand on knees.  Seriously, some folks are just spouting off without any sort of grasp of reality.

He is young. He is 25. A player of his calibre can play till 35. He has the best doctors looking after him with best rehabilitation techniques which has advanced a lot in last 5/6 years.. he is an athelete so recovery will be faster. He will be back by next year. Mark my words. 

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

what silliness is this - not all knee injuries are created equal.  And wicket-keeping has a uniquely high demand on knees.  Seriously, some folks are just spouting off without any sort of grasp of reality.

Agree.

Its just being so ignorant. Some posters are equating this with other injuries and how other cricketers have comeback from a hamstring injury or a back injury and Pant will be OK. No he wont, its ignorant to think otherwise.

An ACL is arguably the worst kind of injury for a sportsman to have. Its automatically a year off, even those that have LARS surgery where the comeback is as short as 4-6 months there is still a massive risk.

The point you highlighted is true, wicket keeping is unique and when posters wake up an realize that an ACL operation on a knee is the likely death of a wicket keeper's career the better.

The other point you mentioned is also true, its just stupid some posters are acting as if they know ACL injuries in depth and follow other sports and injuries in those sports as deeply and passionately as cricket. An ACL injury for a footballer, be it AFL Rugby or soccer is far different than for a wicket keeper.

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Seriously this is absurd.

Dont make comments that knee surgeries are the same. An ACL operation is far far different and the prognosis is far different to the surgeries that Pujara and Shami had.

1 hour ago, neel roy said:

He is young. He is 25. A player of his calibre can play till 35. He has the best doctors looking after him with best rehabilitation techniques which has advanced a lot in last 5/6 years.. he is an athelete so recovery will be faster. He will be back by next year. Mark my words. 

I would love for this to turn out to be true.  And yes, of course the possibility of this scenario is on the table.  Just not very high probability in my expectation.

5 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Agree.

Its just being so ignorant. Some posters are equating this with other injuries and how other cricketers have comeback from a hamstring injury or a back injury and Pant will be OK. No he wont, its ignorant to think otherwise.

An ACL is arguably the worst kind of injury for a sportsman to have. Its automatically a year off, even those that have LARS surgery where the comeback is as short as 4-6 months there is still a massive risk.

The point you highlighted is true, wicket keeping is unique and when posters wake up an realize that an ACL operation on a knee is the likely death of a wicket keeper's career the better.

The other point you mentioned is also true, its just stupid some posters are acting as if they know ACL injuries in depth and follow other sports and injuries in those sports as deeply and passionately as cricket. An ACL injury for a footballer, be it AFL Rugby or soccer is far different than for a wicket keeper.

Problem is that lot of folks don't understand the physical demands of the sport that they profess fandom for.  Gully cricket wicket-keepers essentially just stand behind the stumps, or more often there's a wall behind the stumps.  The sheer amount of workload on a wicket-keeper, even in a 3 hour game - they do not have a sound understanding of.  This is fine - not everybody knows everything - I certainly don't.  But then don't continue to insist and argue about stuff that you clearly lack understanding for. 

2 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Seriously this is absurd.

Dont make comments that knee surgeries are the same. An ACL operation is far far different and the prognosis is far different to the surgeries that Pujara and Shami had.

He had surgery for ACL, PCL, MCL  as all 3 ligamens were torn. I understand all 3 are necessary for a stable posture.  We used to make fun of his balance when he played shots at the start of his career. He would often lose balance and fall down.  Thsoe half balanced  shots can put more stress.