Pant potentially out for 1-2 years

zen

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

ACL + a bunch of other big issues in their own right

Ive seen elite athletes in AFL struggle to comeback from an ACL.

Im talking about guys with like 10% body fat, that train 7 days a week.

One thing they all say, is that running or moving in a straight line is not so much an issue, but its the sudden momentum shifting your body from one plane to another, which can damage the ACL.

15 hours ago, sandeep said:

what silliness is this - not all knee injuries are created equal.  And wicket-keeping has a uniquely high demand on knees.  Seriously, some folks are just spouting off without any sort of grasp of reality.

Most knee injuries are related to ligaments. Shami too had ligament surgery. Same with Pujara. Regarding load, fast bowlers have the highest load on the knees. 

12 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Seriously this is absurd.

Dont make comments that knee surgeries are the same. An ACL operation is far far different and the prognosis is far different to the surgeries that Pujara and Shami had.

Arey bhai ACL surgery is not anything new. Shami and Pujara both had ACL surgery. Shivam Mavi had ACL surgery at 17. Lot of fast bowlers have had ACL surgery at some point in their career. ACL surgery is not a big deal that can derail his career. He is not a fast bowler to have excessive load on the knee. People here are making too big deal of ligament surgery. Yes, it is serious but not something a cricketer can't come back from.

Regarding Pujara. He had torn ACL of both his knees.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/pujara-fighting-to-find-his-feet-again/story-Uv8ahZcJaOLKqMQorg7g3H.html

Screenshot_20230301-130558.png

Edited by rkt.india
12 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He had surgery for ACL, PCL, MCL  as all 3 ligamens were torn. I understand all 3 are necessary for a stable posture.  We used to make fun of his balance when he played shots at the start of his career. He would often lose balance and fall down.  Thsoe half balanced  shots can put more stress.

He had ACL and MCL, not PCL.

Screenshot_20230301-130909.png

6 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Ive seen elite athletes in AFL struggle to comeback from an ACL.

Im talking about guys with like 10% body fat, that train 7 days a week.

One thing they all say, is that running or moving in a straight line is not so much an issue, but its the sudden momentum shifting your body from one plane to another, which can damage the ACL.

Pujara had ACL reconstruction on both of his knee by 2011, hasn't done badly since then.

10 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Pujara had ACL reconstruction on both of his knee by 2011, hasn't done badly since then.

I believe it comes down to grade. If it is grade 3 it is severe. So far they have not disclosed that information i think. I couldn't find anywhere what the severity of Pant's injury. This happened during an accident. Pujara's injury may be grade 1.

7 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

I believe it comes down to grade. If it is grade 3 it is severe. So far they have not disclosed that information i think. I couldn't find anywhere what the severity of Pant's injury. This happened during an accident. Pujara's injury may be grade 1.

they have not disclosed info because of its severity

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

they have not disclosed info because of its severity

He could only brush his own teeth just recently.

That tells everything you need to know about the severity of the injury the likelihood that he can lead a normal life let alone play cricket or even play for India again.

1 minute ago, SRT100 said:

He could only brush his own teeth just recently.

That tells everything you need to know about the severity of the injury the likelihood that he can lead a normal life let alone play cricket or even play for India again.

at least he is able to brush his own teeth. would have been too cruel if he wasn't even able to do that

Realistically...Pant is nowhere in white ball scheme anyways...

In test cricket, after this series we have 

- WTC Final ( will be a big miss)
- WI Away, 2 matches ( can manage there with Bharath)
- SA Away, 2 matches ( can manage there with Bharath or even Kishan)

The  Next Jan/Feb will be 5 matches vs England- can he make by then? Almost a year to get fit, rehabilitate, practice and play ranji season in December...maybe or maybe not??

19 hours ago, deepdynamo said:

Realistically...Pant is nowhere in white ball scheme anyways...

In test cricket, after this series we have 

- WTC Final ( will be a big miss)
- WI Away, 2 matches ( can manage there with Bharath)
- SA Away, 2 matches ( can manage there with Bharath or even Kishan)

The  Next Jan/Feb will be 5 matches vs England- can he make by then? Almost a year to get fit, rehabilitate, practice and play ranji season in December...maybe or maybe not??

not likely to happen

On 3/2/2023 at 12:02 AM, vvvslaxman said:

Reconstruction only happens if it's torn and severe. Grade 1 heals without surgery in three months. Even grade 2 doesn't necessarily require surgery, can heal in 6-8 months without surgery. Surgery is only essential in grade 3 which is also called complete ACL tear. It takes 6-9 months to heal with effective Rehab after Surgery. After 6-9 months, a player can resume his intense sporting activities.

Edited by rkt.india
On 3/3/2023 at 1:42 AM, rkt.india said:

Reconstruction only happens if it's torn and severe. Grade 1 heals without surgery in three months. Even grade 2 doesn't necessarily require surgery, can heal in 6-8 months without surgery. Surgery is only essential in grade 3 which is also called complete ACL tear. It takes 6-9 months to heal with effective Rehab after Surgery. After 6-9 months, a player can resume his intense sporting activities.

you give hope man..thanks!

13 minutes ago, Tillu said:

The way he talks lately, I get the feeling he's not interested in playing cricket anymore.

spacer.png

When you have such a life changing incident, you tend to appreciate even little things. He is doing the right thing, taking baby steps and enjoying even small things.

Rome is not built in one day, it is going to be long process for him to get back.He seems to be having right frame of mind which is most important thing.

On 3/15/2023 at 8:30 AM, Tillu said:

The way he talks lately, I get the feeling he's not interested in playing cricket anymore.

spacer.png

he probably knows that his career is effectively over, so he is just trying to enjoy the smaller things in life