Is Pune the best city for living in India?

Majestic

On 3/14/2023 at 11:19 PM, Mariyam said:

The part in bold makes me wonder if you've visited Pune in the recent past.

Re:jobs, there are industries at Chakan and IT companies dime a dozen. But other industries are absent. Notably Finance/ Financial services. And FMCG related marketing/distribution jobs are few. 

I lived in Pune between 2017 and 2019. Came back to Pune again in 2022 although for just a week. 

However, where do you find a lot of traffic or crowd in Pune? 

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Poona !

Pune sound’s like a job title. Or at least PuNe to transliterate the consonant properly. 

Never been to Pune, just came back from visiting Bengaluru and totally disappointed with the traffic. No road is not dug up for either Metro or for upgrade due to election season. The city is a concrete dust hellhole. Everybody was sick from some respiratory disorder.

Nobody travels across the city and people stay and live in a part throughout their lives. I can live lifelong in SoBe and not have to go to HSR layout or Whitefield ever. Or even five streets down. People WFH and order food from Swiggy. 

But jobs in my field are plenty and people from all over the world still flock to the city. Most relatives and friends work in Startups and are vying to be bought over by corporations. Weather is still the USP, people complain about not being as good as earlier, but still prefer to move to the city. Bengaluru is what “Bombay” used to be in the 80s-90s. With better spacious apartments and villas and nicer Ola /Uber drivers

Hyderabad is nice traffic-wise, but a boring city. No sense of cuisine, I think people don’t have any hemoglobin, but only biryani and spicy food like guttivankaya. 

Namma Bengaluru of old is done and dusted. It is no longer the clean, green city that many of us grew up in. The infrastructure is nowhere near enough to handle the demand.  Which is why I stay in my gated community and barely go out unless absolutely necessary.  A far cry from the 90's, early noughties when outdoor life was at the heart of the city's culture.  

Lived in NCR and while I didn't like a lot of things, the infrastructure there blows ours out of the water .

On topic, I like Poona. I just hope for once , that our administrators don't mess up and ruin another city.  Like,  can we have atleast one Indian city that can atleast be comparable to a Kuala Lumpur if not up to Western standards (just dreaming )

People pour in too quickly....hard job keeping up with infra. 

That true for most democracies.

India needed 15 to 16 happening cities of 5 to 6 million people spread through the country.

Instead we have huge metropolitan areas like ncr mumbai and kolkata. Then we have cities like surat nashik nagpur coimbatore indore which are 1.5 to 3 million cities.

Middle segment like Ahmedabad Pune etc missing.

So you have ex middle segment cities like Bangalore in the process of becoming 15 million plus metro areas with infra failing to keep up. 

On 3/16/2023 at 6:56 AM, Majestic said:

I lived in Pune between 2017 and 2019. Came back to Pune again in 2022 although for just a week. 

However, where do you find a lot of traffic or crowd in Pune? 

Everywhere?

Ferguson College road. Koregaon Park. Pashan. Baner. Right from the express highway exit till you hit Aundh.

On 3/14/2023 at 11:32 PM, Majestic said:

Hyderabad in summers are worse than Pune. Also, there are language problems and if you are a vegetarian then it is not really worth.

Not much, 6 out of 10 in Hyderabad can speak Hindi...8 can communicate to an understandable level. Ofcourse, the ratio will go up and down depending on areas.
Veg problems are there, but now there are multiple pure-veg food chains..so to an extend that problem is rectified now.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:14 AM, Majestic said:

Good living standards

Good growth and job opportunities

Good educational institutions

Less traffic

Less crowd

Very good weather

Different places nearby to explore

City becomes like a hill station during monsoon

Goa also nearest from Pune compared to any other major cities

What do you guys think?

I was in Pune for 2 weeks last year (near Sangamvadi)...traffic was horrible due to metro works and narrow roads.
Weather is a relief in comparison to Hyderabad, food options were good. But public transportation (both intercity and intra city) is on the lower side.

2 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

Not much, 6 out of 10 in Hyderabad can speak Hindi...8 can communicate to an understandable level. Ofcourse, the ratio will go up and down depending on areas.
Veg problems are there, but now there are multiple pure-veg food chains..so to an extend that problem is rectified now.

Ummm... I wouldn't call it Hindi. Or Urdu.

Lets play a game

I'm going to say sentences that I was subjected to in 'Hindi" in Hyderabad. You translate them to English.

Madam ko murga hona? 

Driver saanp chalata hai.

Aap baingan baata karte.

Edited by Mariyam

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

Lets play a game

I'm going to say sentences that I was subjected to in 'Hindi" in Hyderabad. You translate them to English.

Madam ko murga hona? 

Aap baingan baata karte.

It depends on who you talk to. Most that I interact don’t speak typical Hyderbadi Urdu phrases like above. It is limited to Old city and young crowd. 

Baingan is also used in Kannada (badnekayi) to mean rubbish talk. 

7 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Lets play a game

Madam ko murga hona? 

Aap baingan baata karte.

Kya jee, tumme aaj kal disste nahi?

8 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Lets play a game

Madam ko murga hona? 

Aap baingan baata karte.

Madam, do you need chicken ?

Driver drives sharply (for an excellent driver)..."hai" is not used in Hyderabad much. Actually it's said as Driver saarp chalara.

You talk nonsense

It's actually called Deccani or Dakkhani dialect...not direct Hindi but it can be understood by many.

Also, the Telugu people who are not from old city also speak Hindi but it's a mix of Telugu + Sanskrit words..like Rain is called as "varsham"..Guava is called as "Jam" or "Jamkaya".

7 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

It depends on who you talk to. Most that I interact don’t speak typical Hyderbadi Urdu phrases like above. It is limited to Old city and young crowd. 

Baingan is also used in Kannada (badnekayi) to mean rubbish talk. 

They do if they're talking amongst themselves. But if they're talking with others then they switch to standard Hindi or English.

But there are few words which give away..like Karenge of Hindi becomes Karinge. 

5 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Perhaps occasion related sales have hit a slump, but overall sales over the year have picked up.

Took me 1.5 months to get my vehicle last year after booking.

With massive infra projects all over the nation, Vehicle sales would be a driver (pun unintended) of mfg sector share of the GDP.