IPL 2023 playoff scenarios

zen

54 minutes ago, Majestic said:

RR can go past RCB NRR even with a decent win if RCB loses the last game vs mighty Pandya's Lions :phehe:.

Yes, but the problem is that RCB play the final game. So, they know exactly what is required

1 hour ago, bowl_out said:

Yes, but the problem is that RCB play the final game. So, they know exactly what is required

NRR scenario is mainly discussed from the PoV of RCB and MI losing their last game and where other teams on 14 can advance based on NRR. 

If team X has a higher NRR than team Y, the only way for team Y to improve (to whatever degree) its NRR is by winning the game. 

Edited by zen

2 hours ago, zen said:

NRR scenario is mainly discussed from the PoV of RCB and MI losing their last game and where other teams on 14 can advance based on NRR. 

If team X has a higher NRR than team Y, the only way for team Y to improve (to whatever degree) its NRR is by winning the game. 

Yes, but if RR win by a decent margin and MI lose, RCB can qualify even if they lose against GT by a not so large margin

15 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Yes, but if RR win by a decent margin and MI lose, RCB can qualify even if they lose against GT by a not so large margin

One of those 3 teams ideally need to have a NRR which is higher than RCB’s to put pressure on RCB (I have mentioned some scenarios in one of my posts iirc).

I have not done any calculations but for e.g. by roughly looking at NRR difference, if the score is in 170-190 range, a team like RR can go ahead by winning by around 15 runs. 

Overall, I would say this is a competitive top 4:

GT: played some amazing all round cricket 

CSK: its batting was entertaining 

LSG: interesting off field encounters and  some good defending performances on field 

MI: the batting clicked esp. while chasing 

The two royals competed well but have only themselves to blame for some lame losses. KKR was hot or cold. PK failed to measure up when it counted. DC & SRH went missing.