Manipur death toll crosses 100 as CM holds all-party meet, Army steps in

khadekhademaaro

Clashes between the Meitei and Kuki groups were first reported in an area bordering Bishnupur and Churachandpur districts on Wednesday, following a ‘tribal solidarity march’ organised by the All Tribal Students’ Union of Manipur.

Edited by Lord

1 hour ago, Stan AF said:

Well the people voted for this .

They voted for the tribal locals of the state to fight the non-tribals locals? 

How does that work? Clearly there are latent issues that have been simmering for a long time that have finally come out in the open. How is this the central govts' fault? It's like saying that if the DMK scum fight the AIDMK scum it is the fault of the Kannadigas. Pls make some sense.

2 minutes ago, bharathh said:

How does that work? Clearly there are latent issues that have been simmering for a long time that have finally come out in the open. How is this the central govts' fault? It's like saying that if the DMK scum fight the AIDMK scum it is the fault of the Kannadigas. Pls make some sense.

What is your bjp state government doing there to prevent this???

Why is the violence allowed to escalate this badly?

Just now, Stan AF said:

While the whole state was burning HM was doing election rallies and PM was getting flower garlanded blocking major roads in Bangalore :lol:

*ing dumbwits

What was home minister supposed to do to quell a domestic issue between locals? Isn't that better managed by the local authorities and leaders of those communities? The army is there to maintain peace. 

Just now, Stan AF said:

What is your bjp state government doing there to prevent this???

Why is the violence allowed to escalate this badly?

What should they do that is not already being done? I am not privy to what has been done and not. Perhaps you know better about the local nuances of the grouse between the Meitis and the tribals and where the issue was. 

Just now, bharathh said:

What was home minister supposed to do to quell a domestic issue between locals? Isn't that better managed by the local authorities and leaders of those communities? The army is there to maintain peace. 

Are you going to wait till the death toll to cross into 100s for you guys to do something ??

What kind of a half assed answer is this!!. It clearly shows Karnataka elections is the priority for both of them instead of manipuri violence

3 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Are you going to wait till the death toll to cross into 100s for you guys to do something ??

What kind of a half assed answer is this!!. It clearly shows Karnataka elections is the priority for both of them instead of manipuri violence

I don't have to do anything. I am not in the govt nor do I belong to any party. 

Clearly it is in the hands of the local ppl. I would definitely think Karnataka elections would be priority compared (where they can actually do something) to Manipur which they can really do nothing about other than get updates from ppl on the ground and give inputs on what to do next. 

That said - what should an appropriate response be for you - since you care so much for the ppl of Manipur. I am curious to know what happened and why did this sudden outburst of violence happen. What does the great drunkard Periyar tell you in your dreams? 

35 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

While the whole state was burning HM was doing election rallies and PM was getting flower garlanded blocking major roads in Bangalore :lol:

*ing dumbwits

Those two guys can't point out on a map where Manipur is...  So don't expect them to ditch all important election for a irrelevant state at least for BJP. 

5 hours ago, bharathh said:

They voted for BJP whose CM is doing a very fine job . great job . right ? :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Unreal hypocrisy...  Any other state they would demand President rule,  Marshal law,  emergency. 

Party allegiance over everything 

There is martial law in place in Manipur. The army is in the state with shoot at order sites - not common wouldn't you say? As far as President's rule goes - that should be imposed if the current govt cannot resolve the issue without violence. 

That said, this article at least goes into some depth on the issues there https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/manipur-conflict-meiteis-and-the-kukis-and-nagas-have-to-learn-to-co-exist-and-resolve-differences-amicably-8596919/

I don't know how accurate it is - since I have no idea of the region (I'm guessing 100% of you folks don't either). Looks like things were headed this way - possibly made worse by the drug lords of the area to protect their poppy farms (mentioned in the article). 

It seems that peace has to be brought about by bringing together the various community heads and get them to resolve the situation. The govt imposing diktats is only going to make things worse. That takes time. You don't end what appears to be hostility between people over decades in a few days. I don't know what the govt is doing and not. If someone knows what they are doing and feels there is a better way I am happy to hear that. Just jumping up and down with 0 information because it happens to be a BJP state is stupid.

Edited by bharathh

Kuki MLAs demand separate administration: Manipur state ‘miserably failed’ to protect us

ALL 10 MLAs from the Kuki community in Manipur — including two ministers in the Biren Singh government — Friday demanded a separate administration, stating that the state of Manipur “miserably failed to protect” the Chin-Kuki-Zomi tribals.  This comes days after clashes between the Meitei and Kuki communities, which broke out on May 3, claimed over 70 lives in the state.

In the press statement, the 10 legislators alleged the “unabated violence that began on May 3, 2023 perpetrated by majority Meiteis tacitly supported by existing Government of Manipur against the Chin-Kuki-Mizo-Zomi hill tribals has already partitioned the state and effected a total separation” from Manipur. 

“Our people can longer exist under Manipur as the hatred against our tribal community reached such a height that MLAs, Ministers, pastors, police and civil officers, laymen, women and even children were not spared, not to mention the destruction of places of worship, homes and properties,” the statement read.

Of the 10 Kuki MLAs, seven are from the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), including the two ministers – commerce and industries minister Nemcha Kipgen, and minister of state for tribal affairs Letpao Haokip. The remaining belong to smaller parties.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/kuki-mlas-in-manipur-demand-separate-administration-and-separation-from-state-after-clashes-with-meiteis-lead-to-violence-101683916845928.html

Edited by Stan AF

On 5/17/2023 at 12:20 PM, Gollum said:

So while Manipur was burning, PM and HM were doing roadshows in Karnataka? Shameless buggers, glad they got hammered in Kar.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/army-called-in-after-fresh-flare-up-in-manipurs-imphal-curfew-reimposed-after-reports-of-arson-4055971#pfrom=home-ndtv_topscroll

leadership is busy stopping ukraine war :hysterical: