Indian T20 Batting Talent Pool after IPL 2023

deepdynamo

There is no doubt that domestic Indian batters have lit up the IPL 2023 and we are richer than before in our T20 setup.
Which one impressed you the most?

Compiling a list of batting talent below.
Not considering Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli & Shikhar Dhawan ( as they would not and should not be part of T20 WC next year )
Also not considering KL Rahul ( regressed) & Rishabh Pant ( Injured indefinite)

Premium ( International Level- No more Domestic or India A validation needed)
Subman Gill
Yashasvi Jaiswal
Ruturaj Gaikwad
Sky
Pandya 

Breakthrough ( and almost ready for Internationals T20s and ODI)
Rinku Singh
Tilak Verma
Sai Sudarshan
Jitesh Sharma ( wk)

Emerging ( need further finetuning in domestics and A Tours but high potential)
Abhinav Manohar
N Wadhera
Prabhsimran
Dhurv Jurel

Neither here nor there   ( Previous Indian internationals but no longer certainties)
Ishan Kishan (wk)

Sanju Samson (wk)
Shivam Dubey
Rahul Tripathi
Venky Iyer

Deepak Hooda

Batting pool is not even a concern. Even when someone performs at the level of Rinku, Sudarshan, Jaiswal,Tilak etc we look for argument that so and so needs more fine tuning: our tolerance levels for bowlers seem to be a lot lower. One decent spell or even a couple of spicy deliveries and we want him in the side.

3 hours ago, deepdynamo said:

There is no doubt that domestic Indian batters have lit up the IPL 2023 and we are richer than before in our T20 setup.

Not considering Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli & Shikhar Dhawan ( as they would not and should not be part of T20 WC next year )

Subman Gill
Yashasvi Jaiswal
Ruturaj Gaikwad
Sky
Pandya 

Rinku Singh
Tilak Verma
Sai Sudarshan
Jitesh Sharma ( wk)

Abhinav Manohar
N Wadhera
Prabhsimran
Dhurv Jurel

Neither here nor there   ( Previous Indian internationals but no longer certainties)
Ishan Kishan (wk)

Sanju Samson (wk)
Shivam Dubey
Rahul Tripathi
Venky Iyer

Deepak Hooda

Agree with most..

But how is Pandya a premium batter? Super limited range and struggles against quality. But deserves a  place as an all-rounder, mainly his bowling. 
Rinku Singh doesn’t need any more validation. He should be in the squad.

Deepak Hooda doesn’t deserve to be in any list.

Ishan Kishan has got huge weaknesses. Agree with his listing. Just the amount of head injuries he’s received concerns me.

The problem is bowlers and wicket keeper.

Samson and Kishan blow hot and cold.. Both are pretty average with the gloves.

Jitesh had some good knocks, but still has some way to go before internationals.

Barely any good bowlers from the IPL. Top wicket takers are still Rashid, Shami and Mohit (all old horses or internationals).

Edited by bowl_out

13 hours ago, deepdynamo said:

Subman Gill
Yashasvi Jaiswal
Ruturaj Gaikwad
Sky
Pandya 

Rinku Singh
Tilak Verma
Sai Sudarshan
Jitesh Sharma ( wk)

Abhinav Manohar
N Wadhera
Prabhsimran
Dhurv Jurel

Ishan Kishan (wk)

Sanju Samson (wk)
Shivam Dubey
Rahul Tripathi
Venky Iyer

Deepak Hooda

I would bet on Gill ,Jaiswal, SKY, Tilak Varma and may be Rinku.

Sai -Needs more validation of his ability to hit  high pace bowling. Against other type of bowling looks good.

Nehal Wadhera could be a  dark horse to come good .

Not sure about  most of others .

10 hours ago, MK55 said:

Agree with most..

But how is Pandya a premium batter? Super limited range and struggles against quality. But deserves a  place as an all-rounder, mainly his bowling. 
Rinku Singh doesn’t need any more validation. He should be in the squad.

Deepak Hooda doesn’t deserve to be in any list.

Ishan Kishan has got huge weaknesses. Agree with his listing. Just the amount of head injuries he’s received concerns me.

Pandya is a must in Indian T20 setup. Maybe not as a premium batter but as a package.

Also, I vividly remember WT20 2022 SF.
Rohit, KL and Brat crawled to 60/2 ( 10 overs) on one of the flattest pancake.
Its only because of Pandya we could reach 170 that day.

22 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Sai -Needs more validation of his ability to hit  high pace bowling. Against other type of bowling looks good.

Yes, fairly accurate. But I like Jitesh at No. 6 though. He has that hitting ability and hope his game awareness become better day by day.

16 hours ago, deepdynamo said:

Subman Gill
Yashasvi Jaiswal
Ruturaj Gaikwad
Sky
Pandya 

Rinku Singh
Tilak Verma
Sai Sudarshan
  ( wk)

Abhinav Manohar
N Wadhera
Prabhsimran
Dhurv Jurel

Ishan Kishan (wk)

Sanju Samson (wk)
Shivam Dubey
Rahul Tripathi
Venky Iyer

Deepak Hooda

Happy to see so many quality LHBs emerging...Jaiswal, Rinku, Tilak, Sai. That too, evenly spread across the batting order, not just openers. 

3 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

I would actually give him a second season to see how he encounters that.

Sai is good but something seems lacking there....I saw at times he was late against the quick pace. Have to see more from him.

Gill, Jaiswal, Rinku, Tilak have performed in 2 or more seasons...even Jitesh was good last year and performed well this year.

Jurel also have to face second season blues like Nehal.

1 hour ago, singhvivek141 said:

I would actually give him a second season to see how he encounters that.

Sai is good but something seems lacking there....I saw at times he was late against the quick pace. Have to see more from him.

Gill, Jaiswal, Rinku, Tilak have performed in 2 or more seasons...even Jitesh was good last year and performed well this year.

Jurel also have to face second season blues like Nehal.

Vadhera looked impressive in his debut season. His range hitting is even better than Tilak. Lets hope he can capitalize on this good start to his career.
Jurel was also good but he is way below in pecking order. Need to bat higher and get similar opportunity like Riyan Parag.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

Remember Ashwin talking about Sai Sudarshan in a few of his YT videos from 2 years back. Confidently said that he will play for India one day, that was based on some local Chennai club games and TNPL IIRC. Impressive yesterday, and clutch, must keep an eye on him. 

Sai Sudarshan also did well in Vijay Hazare List A. He was churning runs there at will. Average of 60+ in 11  matches with 3 centuries.

He may not be a perfect T20 batsman as of now but there is some spark for sure. Hope he can improve like Gill ( and not regress like Paddikal). Also, pls put him in gym to build few muscles. Too skinny for my liking.

Edited by deepdynamo

6 hours ago, deepdynamo said:

Pandya is a must in Indian T20 setup. Maybe not as a premium batter but as a package.

Also, I vividly remember WT20 2022 SF.
Rohit, KL and Brat crawled to 60/2 ( 10 overs) on one of the flattest pancake.
Its only because of Pandya we could reach 170 that day.

That is simply not true, it was only in last two/three overs overs he scored runs at faster SR. He was 24 of 21.Kohli got out in 17th over and he remained till last over.

His SR before that was in 100s for last two t20 world cups in important matches.

Unless he bowls 8/10 as he adds very little with bat spot at number 5/6  he brings no value to the team.

He should be nowhere near any Indian captaincy.They have cheapened Indian captaincy by giving to this guy and another useless bozo Rahul.

Edited by putrevus

Batting talent is there but who gets picked depends upon the batting composition and the attitude/mindset that Sir Don Pandya wants in the team. 

He is not going to pick players based on stats and talent alone. The selection will be based on roles, work ethics, attitude, etc. Remember he brought in Tripathi more because of his positive attitude and ability to manipulate the field (based on talent and stats alone there can be better options). Also, his selections will be more in line with a long-term plan so unlikely to change with every IPL season. Once he backs a player, he will get a decent chance to prove himself. 

For Sir Don, Gill and SKY would be certainties at this point. Rituraj, who has been consistent over a number of seasons, is likely to be (or get) on his list as well.

Edited by zen

If we are talking about the 2024 T20 WC in WI & USA next year. Below is likely to be the team:

Gill 

Rituraj ... or Jaiswal if Ritu is struggling  

Jaiswal ... If SKY wants to play at #3, Sir Don is going to say "yes" to him, and someone like Rinku Singh may get a look in at #4-5 depending on other options ... Kohli may be considered if Sir Don has a soft spot for him and thinks his experience can add value to the team in a big tournament. Will depend on Kohli's form in IPL 2024 as well (many ICFers will not like it if Kohli is picked) 

SKY 

SDP

Pant as wk (if fit). He could be moved to #3 as well to accommodate someone like Rinku Singh in the middle order ... or it could be Jitesh ... If Samson, he could bat at #3-4 depending on SKY's position ... if Kishan, he would open 

Axar ... or Jadeja 

4 Bowlers 

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

If we are talking about the 2024 T20 WC in WI & USA next year. Below is likely to be the team:

Gill 

Rituraj ... or Jaiswal if Ritu is struggling  

Jaiswal ... If SKY wants to play at #3, Sir Don is going to say "yes" to him, and someone like Rinku Singh may get a look in at #4-5 depending on other options ... Kohli may be considered if Sir Don has a soft spot for him and thinks his experience can add value to the team in a big tournament. Will depend on Kohli's form in IPL 2024 as well (many ICFers will not like it if Kohli is picked) 

SKY 

SDP

Pant as wk (if fit). He could be moved to #3 as well to accommodate someone like Rinku Singh in the middle order ... or it could be Jitesh ... If Samson, he could bat at #3-4 depending on SKY's position ... if Kishan, he would open 

Axar ... or Jadeja 

4 Bowlers 

Hardik Pandya also suffers from hero worshipping. So I doubt he can take bold decisions to not select Kohli ( or Rohit) or even Kela.

Selectors has to make his job easy by dropping these players once for all. With Kohli, a new fearless team cannot be build. There will be too much scrutiny and superstar $hit.

Pandya has golden opportuity to create his own T20 legacy. He need to look beyond Rohit, Rahul, KL, Jadeja and Pant. There are exciting talent waiting to be unleashed. He can choose whoever he want and build his own team.

I also don't like this ' backing up players' nonsense. What have we achieved backing up players like Hooda, Triparhi, Avesh, Mavi Harshal or even V Iyer.

Just go with current form, pick players that are dynamic and build a versatile team.

1 minute ago, deepdynamo said:

Hardik Pandya also suffers from hero worshipping. So I doubt he can take bold decisions to not select Kohli ( or Rohit) or even Kela.

Selectors has to make his job easy by dropping these players once for all. With Kohli, a new fearless team cannot be build. There will be too much scrutiny and superstar $hit.

Pandya has golden opportuity to create his own T20 legacy. He need to look beyond Rohit, Rahul, KL, Jadeja and Pant. There are exciting talent waiting to be unleashed. He can choose whoever he want and build his own team.

I also don't like this ' backing up players' nonsense. What have we achieved backing up players like Hooda, Triparhi, Avesh, Mavi Harshal or even V Iyer.

Just go with current form, pick players that are dynamic and build a versatile team.

Yes. They have to take the bullet. Also nobody cares about selectors. Everything happens in the background.  That is how it should be. They should have a chat with these seniors like they did with Sachin.

3 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

I agree that SDP suffers from hero (or legacy) worshipping too which can cloud his judgment to overestimate a past-the-peak player. This is why I said if Kohli does well in IPL 2024, he will think that Kohli is back in form. The selectors can help SDP out by giving a clear mandate to look past these players. 

As for selections based on current/recent form, I am more into consistent performances over a period of time than just a season. Every season or year would have its top performers. And if a team is only going by current/recent form, it is usually playing a catch-up. As this year's in form players could be out of form the next, and when you go for those players, there could be players in better form the next year. Even in a tournament, if a player does well in the first half, he could fail in the 2nd half, a reason why many teams lose steam as the tournament progresses. 

This is why teams (IPL, national, or whatever) invest in players on a relatively long-term basis. Identify players to do the roles and attitude, back them to provide them with security and confidence, etc., preparing them for a major tournament. Talking about team building, if player A is 7-8/10 on talent and 10/10 on work ethic, attitude, team spirit, etc., and if player B is 10/10 on talent but 7-8/10 on the later, SDP will likely prefer player A to build a well-oiled team.