( ICF'ers INVITED ) Attn Mods...Whose post is this ? what rules apply to Mod edits ?

Guest HariSampath

Guest HariSampath
The point was so that you see it and others take a note of it, I have edited other stuff today as well, there is a level playing field, like he said/she said and its over right. Now, how far does this go back? can u tell me and if u ask tics, I have asked him to cool it too, I have edited predz stuff as well and asked him to watch it as well You were on a roll, one post after the other..it's lke you read the posts, u smiile , u smile again and then ewww..man this needs to stop..fom delhi duds to pathetics and lunatics, and then commit suicide..yes, it went really OTT so I edited it
Delhi DUDS is a fact...and not OTT....everyone calls them Delhi Duds yesterday patheticz and lunaticz is NOT OTT if "hari sankat" , "chennai vanars"...and "rajnikantz" are all okay....AND this is not once/twice....Ticz has been dedicating multiple threads for this...but myself or other chennaiites never complained last 2 weeks... "commit suicide"...is not meant to ask Ticz to go and kill himself !!! I am sure even he doesnt think so...and if anyone asks me to "jump into a lake"...or "hang yourself, I will give a rope"....doesnt mean I take it seriously as a suggestion to kill myself, come on this is a MB and no one is a child to be psychiatrically affected by all this....( well I dont know about Ticz...especially after yesterday's Delhi game :giggle: )..but I am sure he would like to stay alive despite what members tell here Of course you can edit....but dont make any comments in the body of msg which makes it seem I wrote those words...if you edit ( and thats your job, I agree)...pls mention your comments separately...there is a provision for that.

Guest Hiten.
Two words Hari - Drama Queen. :handkiss: Kai ko aaltoo faltoo drama kar rahe ho boss? Its much ado about nothing. Let it go.
Damn you. Yeh Kya keh diya aapne bhai. We will have to bare yet another 10,000 line essay over that name calling :banghead:

Guest HariSampath

Edit the post, no problem, but make sure none of your words appear as mine....add it as "comment"...not part of message. Because sometimes posts are edited for a few words...some words are deleted..and Mods edit status appears at bottom, but if you ADD comments in main message, it appears as MY comments which it is not,...dont make your words look like mine. Just one example....let us say I post a sentence with an abuse

"XYZ is a ******** "
The above will be my original message...and you have every right to edit it....but if you do it and add your comment/words to it, it can appear as follows...
"XYZ is a ................" what a juvenile post please dont post garbage "
edited by Rajeev at 10.05 AM... The above edit with your comments "what a juvenile post, please dont post garbage" will make it appear that your comments are my words originally.....and even if the edit status appears below, how will others know whether I posted those words or it was your comments ? That is why I say edit all you want, comment all you want, but make sure it has clarity.

Guest HariSampath
Two words Hari - Drama Queen. :handkiss: Kai ko aaltoo faltoo drama kar rahe ho boss? Its much ado about nothing. Let it go.
That is a fantastic play written by the Bard of Avon...I am sure you have read it Lurks, thanks for comparing me to the immortal literary genius ( Its a great skill to create a 10,000 word essay over a two word abuse....and I am glad you appreciate it :--D )

Hari, just to keep it short - even though I did not edit much around I can understand why some of the stuff got edited out - things like ar$e raped, motherfackers(not sure if it was your post, but I remember editing the reference in some post) etc. are not on. Lunaticz, patheticz etc. has been going on for a long long time from both sides which is all fine but in the name of free speech there is a lot of unwarranted and needless abuse which goes on at times. Normally, we try to just gleam over it in the hope things will calm down on their own and to the posters credit 95% of the times the hands off policy works, but on rare occasions we really have to clean up things. Not many people visit the site to read an abusefest. In fact, there are some kids etc. who also visit the site. I remember Chandan's son used to log in here, but she had to restrict access because at times things are too abusive. You say that ICF is close to you and we have no doubts that it is, so we need to all contribute to making it a place to discuss everything and not to abuse.

PS: Reading the thread in a bit more detail I think your major gripe is that while editing Rajeev put his comments into the text part of the message - we do it occasionally for emphasis but in all cases it's pretty obvious who has done it. Sometimes a small footnote in the edit comments reason can go unnoticed. If you are so sensitive about it, we can try to have something like, Rajeev : TEXT written out to emphasize it's written by Rajeev. We try to be fair and equal to all and the accusation that we have been favoring Delhi over Chennai as an admin/mod team won't be bought by anyone I think. Sure, we can't be 100% consistent all the time - there are many people moderating the forum and use their instincts to make decisions not some computer software. There are many things we can be accused of but one thing I am certain about bias towards or against a particular group is not one of them - I am willing to go to the floor on that one!

Guest HariSampath

^ That was exactly the point ...about the Mod's comment appearing as my words. In another thread some 3-4 months back, I had brought this issue up when threads were being merged. Sometimes Mods are required to merge threads, and do so by appending a couple of threads to another thread and then giving it their own title...fine, but sometimes this gives the impression that some member had created a thread under that title, and that member may have never intended it that way. Same about spawned threads being created as entirely separate threads and a title given. I remember that several posts from a particular thread were once cut away to form a new thread and with a title suggesting it was Tendulkar bashing, under my name. The Mod may not have intended it, but it gave the impression I had started a Tendulkar bashing thread which I certainly did not...that is the sort of Mod/admin action I am rferring to.

^ And after that happened weren't we able to sort out the matter in which all of us walked away happy - the mods made their point about some other thread meandering into a different topic and you were given the option of choosing your own title for the thread? Do such minor things require such major drama? If you were seriously so offended by Rajeev putting a message there, all you had to do was PM Rajeev/one of the other mods and asked them to change it from just the pure text to something like what I suggested above. Don't think we required all this hoopla for such a minor thing. And I hope you understand why we on occasions(rarely) put our message in the main text rather than in the comments - purely for emphasis and visibility rather than an attempt to hijack someone's ID.

Guest HariSampath

but we were able to sort it out only AFTER I pointed it out....right ?...and so pointing it out is "major drama" ? Well I tell you, I dont think anything is worth "major drama", because this is just a discussion board, and will stay just that. But at the very least, the key issue for any discussion board should be the principle that "let everyone's words/topics/threads be their own"...and let not the admins/mods speak for others here...to my mind that is the first principle of freedom of speech : clarity about who said what...and in any MB I dont think it is a minor issue.

IMO..Let those two involved decide whether they like these psuedo names or Not.. those who live by swords..die by it... 'Tics and Hari both are equally able to give back to each other... Chennai fans are after 'Tics and Preds... so if those two or Chennai fans do not complain about anything....we should not try to intervene much... but one thing is sure...'tics know how to sledge..and yet be funny... chennai needs to learn the art of sledging...:giggle: PEACE

Guest HariSampath
^ And after that happened weren't we able to sort out the matter in which all of us walked away happy - the mods made their point about some other thread meandering into a different topic and you were given the option of choosing your own title for the thread? Do such minor things require such major drama? If you were seriously so offended by Rajeev putting a message there, all you had to do was PM Rajeev/one of the other mods and asked them to change it from just the pure text to something like what I suggested above. Don't think we required all this hoopla for such a minor thing. And I hope you understand why we on occasions(rarely) put our message in the main text rather than in the comments - purely for emphasis and visibility rather than an attempt to hijack someone's ID.
I tell you again, I was in no way "offended"....and my words about "ID hijack" was just rhetorical, I never suggested that truly my ID was hijacked...by the same token, if that text was put in for emphasis, Rajeev/mods could well emphasise to me by sending me a PM...why all this hoopa of " Last request for you Hari"....and all sorts of prominent "warnings" ...just because I said Lunaticz or hang yourself or whatever...and if that offended Rajeev...or Ticz, same way I could have been PMd and asked to eidt it, ...although Rajeev himself says he knows it was a joke, why all this hoopla on an MB about these minor things ??

but we were able to sort it out only AFTER I pointed it out....right ?...and so pointing it out is "major drama" ? Well I tell you, I dont think anything is worth "major drama", because this is just a discussion board, and will stay just that. But at the very least, the key issue for any discussion board should be the principle that "let everyone's words/topics/threads be their own"...and let not the admins/mods speak for others here...to my mind that is the first principle of freedom of speech : clarity about who said what...and in any MB I dont think it is a minor issue.
Arre baba there are many ways of pointing out things - you can either quietly PM the people concerned and try to sort it out there as a first attempt of you can start a thread on the forums with a huge OP. Personally, I am a big fan of the first option and not a big fan of the second one. Do you really think any of the mods would have objected if you had written a PM that the Tendulkar thread title needs to be changed or that it's not clear in the post that Rajeev edited who wrote the words and to make it clear. My bet is as soon as one of the mods would have read the PM, he would have corrected things because from a moderation standpoint both were trivial issues. Regarding your second paragraph about clarity of who wrote what - agreed but with the footnote saying the name of the editor and the text of the message being such that for most people would find it obvious, Rajeev did not make the extra emphasis. We'll try to put a Rajeev : TEXT kind of format in the future if we are putting our words in the text.

Guest HariSampath
IMO..Let those two involved decide whether they like these psuedo names or Not.. those who live by swords..die by it... 'Tics and Hari both are equally able to give back to each other... Chennai fans are after 'Tics and Preds... so if those two or Chennai fans do not complain about anything....we should not try to intervene much... but one thing is sure...'tics know how to sledge..and yet be funny... chennai needs to learn the art of sledging...:giggle: PEACE
LOL...Ticz "sledging" is positively juvenile...all about food, actors, language...twisting ppl's names etc....kind of 3rd rate stuff from intellectually challenged 4th grade kids :giggle: Chennai doesnt need sledging....we win , and Delhi needs more than patheTiCz sledging, they need some cricket and brains, both are in huge shortage :D

I tell you again' date=' I was in no way "offended"....and my words about "ID hijack" was just rhetorical, I never suggested that truly my ID was hijacked...by the same token, if that text was put in for emphasis, Rajeev/mods could well emphasise to me by sending me a PM...why all this hoopa of " Last request for you Hari"....and all sorts of prominent "warnings" ...just because I said Lunaticz or hang yourself or whatever...and if that offended Rajeev...or Ticz, same way I could have been PMd and asked to eidt it, ...although Rajeev himself says he knows it was a joke, why all this hoopla on an MB about these minor things ??[/quote'] Hari yaar we are doing a thankless job. When all this drama was going on, Rajeev and I were the only active mods online - both of us were at work and the priority for him as for me would have been to clean out the offensive bits atleast - and there were quite a few threads to keep track of. Moreover some of the threads were laden with such flowery language that they could not be kept open for too long from work, atleast by me as I was in a conference room in a meeting while all this was going on! With so much going on, it's understandable we are going to take some quick actions which might not adhere to all ideals. But this thread of yours is hours after all of it happened and could easily have been done through PM. Anyways, maybe the 'tics suicide post was edited by Rajeev but I am sure even he would agree it was the other posts like MFs, gangrape, ar$eraped etc. which were more offensive.

Guest HariSampath
Arre baba there are many ways of pointing out things - you can either quietly PM the people concerned and try to sort it out there as a first attempt of you can start a thread on the forums with a huge OP. Personally, I am a big fan of the first option and not a big fan of the second one. Do you really think any of the mods would have objected if you had written a PM that the Tendulkar thread title needs to be changed or that it's not clear in the post that Rajeev edited who wrote the words and to make it clear. My bet is as soon as one of the mods would have read the PM, he would have corrected things because from a moderation standpoint both were trivial issues. Regarding your second paragraph about clarity of who wrote what - agreed but with the footnote saying the name of the editor and the text of the message being such that for most people would find it obvious, Rajeev did not make the extra emphasis. We'll try to put a Rajeev : TEXT kind of format in the future if we are putting our words in the text.
Simple enough why I did it by starting a thread. I wanted all mods/admins to note that editing as well as merging/ creating new threads has an important aspect of respecting the posting rights/spirit of posting topics by members. If I had just PMd Rajeev he would have just corrected his comment and it would not have served the purpose of other Mods/admin taking note of this issue. Why did Rajeev had to "prominently" post his comment on my post...you say emphasis...when the same thing could have been achieved by PMing me...fine, no probs...same way I prominently made this editing/comments/thread title a separate thread for emphasis on this very important aspect of MB moderation.

If the posters lose semblance and can't restrain themselves from posting without having to resort to slurs the posts will need to be edited. There is no debate about this one. It doesn't matter who's the poster but will have to be edited. This isn't the first time posts have been edited simply because the language of the post is not befitting for our website. Several mods/admins posts have also been edited in the past because of this policy and there will be no exception made regardless of who the poster is. If you want to retaliate to a poster do so but without having to use slurs. I’m sure it’s not asking for too much. The language on these forums sometimes concerns me knowing fully well there are some young lads that lurk these forums. I wouldn’t let my kids to read this forum that’s for sure.

Guest HariSampath
Hari yaar we are doing a thankless job. When all this drama was going on, Rajeev and I were the only active mods online - both of us were at work and the priority for him as for me would have been to clean out the offensive bits atleast - and there were quite a few threads to keep track of. Moreover some of the threads were laden with such flowery language that they could not be kept open for too long from work, atleast by me as I was in a conference room in a meeting while all this was going on! With so much going on, it's understandable we are going to take some quick actions which might not adhere to all ideals. But this thread of yours is hours after all of it happened and could easily have been done through PM. Anyways, maybe the 'tics suicide post was edited by Rajeev but I am sure even he would agree it was the other posts like MFs, gangrape, ar etc. which were more offensive
NOW you begin to get it...I completely agree that mofos, arserape etc are all offensive...( although I used only 2 times)...but that apart,almost half of matchthreads have these terms and almost all regular matchthread junkies use such/similar terms. why is it that it is always just MY "offensive words" are pointed out by rajeev or Mods or admins....and especially when they are all in response. This is the 3rd time it is happening and I do use them deliberatley sometimes because ONLY THEN the mods see the original offensive usage. Ticz is perhaps one of the biggest users of such terms on ICF...and his threads have a plethora of BCs and MCs ALL the time...I had NEVER seen Rajeev eidt out anything or post "prominent" comments...but the moment I post anything supposedly "offensive" then comes all the action. It is precisely this I wanted to bring to everyone's attention. Only when I post such things, the process of "editing" begins and THEN only others' comments are also edited...( but of course I am warned , and not others)