2022 Asian Games, Hangzhou (23rd September to 8th October, 2023)

Gollum

On 8/25/2023 at 7:41 PM, LordPrabhzy said:

Imagine- 2020 Tokyo Gold,  2022 CWG Silver, 2023 World Championship Gold, 2023 Asian Games Gold, 2024 Paris Gold.

If he achieves all this he will be the ATG athlete India has ever produced

Neeraj missed 2022 CWG because of injury. He won 2018 CWG gold though. 

He won the silver in last year's world championship, maybe you are confusing with that. 

India has started this edition with mixed results so far in the prelims.

The football team got hammered by China 5-1. The men's volleyball team beat past champs SKorea and Cambodia to qualify for the knockouts

In Rowing, 5 teams out of 10 have made it to the finals

In pentathlon - our sole representative is in 28th place. 

Football game was depressing to watch...  Heard players were jet lagged & it was severe unprofessional show from Football association.  I don't know the deal with clubs & availability. 

Losing 5-1 to Chinese is bad bad performance. 

We are never competing with them in Swimming & synchronized events in next 30 years at least.  Economic gap is way too much. 

Team events should do much better though.  You can punch above your weight in team events. 

18 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Football game was depressing to watch...  Heard players were jet lagged & it was severe unprofessional show from Football association.  I don't know the deal with clubs & availability. 

Losing 5-1 to Chinese is bad bad performance. 

We are never competing with them in Swimming & synchronized events in next 30 years at least.  Economic gap is way too much. 

Team events should do much better though.  You can punch above your weight in team events. 

First choice players were not available as ISL teams refused to release them- its like MI or CSK refusing to release players for India matches 

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Maybe @randomGuy was right, we overhyped the SAFF result. 1-5 against Japan or South Korea is acceptable. But against China, disaster.

We lost the women's football game 0-8 against the Koreans.

Indian soccer players do not have speed, stamina, skill, strength etc....that is my honest interpretation.... they can beat upto rank 70 teams and dominate Pakistan etc who are much worse....

For future, I believe Delhi kids will have to step up for India to become a top 10, top 20 team, as I see kids in Delhi play soccer in parks much more than cricket these days...most of the rest of the metros don't have as many parks to begin with unfortunately. I am kind of desperate for India to do significantly better than present in soccer.

7 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Indian soccer players do not have speed, stamina, skill, strength etc....that is my honest interpretation.... they can beat upto rank 70 teams and dominate Pakistan etc who are much worse....

For future, I believe Delhi kids will have to step up for India to become a top 10, top 20 team, as I see kids in Delhi play soccer in parks much more than cricket these days...most of the rest of the metros don't have as many parks to begin with unfortunately. I am kind of desperate for India to do significantly better than present in soccer.

Japanese and Korean players seem to be doing well in European leagues esp in the top clubs

22 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Maybe @randomGuy was right, we overhyped the SAFF result. 1-5 against Japan or South Korea is acceptable. But against China, disaster.

We lost the women's football game 0-8 against the Koreans.

My bad, the women's game was in U-17 AFC Asian Cup qualifiers. Bad result but at least not in these games. 

Was quickly browsing through reddit when I saw this news and for some reason assumed that it was AG. 

Edited by Gollum

Action for today

Indian women take on Malaysia in the QF in cricket

Some rowing repechange action for those who lost yesterday and are out of medal contention

Some sailing prelims 

In Football the men's team take on Bangldesh and the women's team take on Chinese Taipei

Edited by bharathh

It's a bit disheartening to see weightlifting regress so much this time around. This time there are only 2 weightlifters (both women) who qualified including Mirabai Chanu. Wrestling is in a freefall as well. Shooting has also regressed quite a bit over the past few years.

Not expecting a great Asian games for India this time around unless Athletics (where we have improved markedly) helps pull us up.

Indian ladies through to the semi-finals despite the rain causing play to get abandoned. They managed to post a huge 173/2 in 15 overs. 

Only worthy opponent for the Indian ladies would be Pak. Would be disappointing for them if they don't come back with gold. 

Rowers seem to have made it to the repechange finals for a higher ranking. No medals for them though unfortunately