Riyan Parag

tweaker

16 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Now is the time. He is in great form, has great confidence and should be selected and given a long rope to establish himself.

And to all those complaining about his supposed "deficiencies" - he is all of 21 yrs old.  He started at age 17 or 18 in the IPL, and it is rare that someone is mature and disciplined and mentally strong enough at that age to take everything on. There's a reason there's only one Tendulkar - he is the exception, not the rule.

Take a page out of NZ's book with RR. The talent was there but he wasn't a hit right away now, was he?  But they invested, developed and encouraged a young, hardworking, talented guy and now at age 23 or 24, it is all coming together.

I always admired Jadeja ,he has worked hard to improve all aspects of his game. When Jadeja first started he was pure bits and pieces player but he improved by playing FC cricket.

Santner is outbowling him by a mile in India.Jadeja is not going to get better and it is time to give youngster a chance.

Edited by putrevus

I took notice of Parag when he was just 17 yrs old and made a good 50 for RR and chased a tricky target for them..his calmness and hitting ability at that age impressed me a lot..

but then with limelight..he regressed..perhaps..he was trying to hit too hard coming at lower order and ofc the limelight...

I feared with last couple of poor IPL seasons..he may lose the plot..

however thsi domestic season..he seems to have matured..and more focussed..

I would like to see his performance in IPL now..if he can translate this maturity and consistency there too..he could definitely get a call up to Indian team..he could be a great addition as he bowls too..

21 minutes ago, Need4Speed said:

I took notice of Parag when he was just 17 yrs old and made a good 50 for RR and chased a tricky target for them..his calmness and hitting ability at that age impressed me a lot..

but then with limelight..he regressed..perhaps..he was trying to hit too hard coming at lower order and ofc the limelight...

I feared with last couple of poor IPL seasons..he may lose the plot..

however thsi domestic season..he seems to have matured..and more focussed..

I would like to see his performance in IPL now..if he can translate this maturity and consistency there too..he could definitely get a call up to Indian team..he could be a great addition as he bowls too..

He is still very young, so as long as he keeps working hard he will get his chances.

42 minutes ago, Lord said:

He's not an allrounder. Bowling is barely part timer level.

But on batting alone he deserves some chances in bilaterals. Also good fielder.

However don't think he has the required mindset.

Hrs good enough to be a 6th bowler .   Also his selection in ODIs should not be solely dependent on whether he performs in IPL or not. 

2 hours ago, Lord said:

He's not an allrounder. Bowling is barely part timer level.

But on batting alone he deserves some chances in bilaterals. Also good fielder.

However don't think he has the required mindset.

if you are talking about bowling mindset then I noticed he tries so many things..off spin..leg spin..Kedhar Jadhav low arm spin..quicker ones etc..

I saw one wkt he took today..where got the left hander stumped..enticing him a slow off spinner..that was nice..

he has picked some wkts this SMAT..and I think have bowled at various stages..

the quality of batting in SMAT may not be on par with International level but it is still our domestic T20 tournament..

it again comes down to focus..focus in batting and focus in bowling as well..

he has good ingredients..to bowl as a 6th bowler..will require some efforts from his side and grooming from TM..

I am very interested to see..his improvement in IPL against some world class players..

From what I hv seen from his recent knocks .. his six hitting ability is emaculate.. while he stays firm with minimal trigger movement.. it's his arm speed which helps him to generate power to smack spinners without the need of dancing down the track..

We need this kind of player in our middle order who can hit spinners without the fear specially after left arm spinners being the nemesis of our batsmen in recent times..

Even his bowling isn't any pie chuking and india desperately needs a batsman who can bowl when required.. definitely an upgrade over Iyer..

4 minutes ago, Amit228 said:

From what I hv seen from his recent knocks .. his six hitting ability is emaculate.. while he stays firm with minimal trigger movement.. it's his arm speed which helps him to generate power to smack spinners without the need of dancing down the track..

We need this kind of player in our middle order who can hit spinners without the fear specially after left arm spinners being the nemesis of our batsmen in recent times..

Even his bowling isn't any pie chuking and india desperately needs a batsman who can bowl when required.. definitely an upgrade over Iyer..

Even against fast bowler, he uses his bat speed and it is maximised by using a completely unweighted stance.  He pulls lengths that others would look to nudge to midwicket or square leg . Can be seen in the final of Deodhar trophy.

19 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Even against fast bowler, he uses his bat speed and it is maximised by using a completely unweighted stance.  He pulls lengths that others would look to nudge to midwicket or square leg . Can be seen in the final of Deodhar trophy.

Yeah .. most importantly his pull shots against pacers were impressive.. he is even building his innings by taking singles nd double.. that's helping him to build a long innings..

Previously it was all boom or bust.. now he is more mature nd knows how to build an innings when needed under pressure.. he has taken Assam to quarter final single-handedly.

Although he will need a stellar ipl performance to back it up with his recent exploits in domestics.. so jury is still out on him..

1 hour ago, Amit228 said:

Yeah .. most importantly his pull shots against pacers were impressive.. he is even building his innings by taking singles nd double.. that's helping him to build a long innings..

Previously it was all boom or bust.. now he is more mature nd knows how to build an innings when needed under pressure.. he has taken Assam to quarter final single-handedly.

Although he will need a stellar ipl performance to back it up with his recent exploits in domestics.. so jury is still out on him..

If he is consistent with both bat and ball in.all the recent domestic tournaments,,why he should be judged him on his IPL perfomance.

He is middle order batsman who can play aggressively,has penchant for scoring big scores,has tendency to finish the innings for a weak side Assam ,is consistently taking wickets and also a good fielder.

He Is that player who is needed in the Indian team ,as no batsman in the team can bowl even 2 overs between them.

6 minutes ago, tweaker said:

If he is consistent with both bat and ball in.all the recent domestic tournaments,,why he should be judged him on his IPL perfomance.

He is middle order batsman who can play aggressively,has penchant for scoring big scores,has tendency to finish the innings for a weak side Assam ,is consistently taking wickets and also a good fielder.

He Is that player who is needed in the Indian team ,as no batsman in the team can bowl even 2 overs between them.

Yeah.. if it was for me.. i would have selected him for Australia T20i series only for his smat nd deodhar trophy exemplary records.

We desperately need a hard hitting batsman who can bowl in our middle order..

Player like parag needs to given confidence.. he definitely possess the ability which we require in limited over cricket.

Since none of our batsmen bowls so we need players like Parag, Abhishek nd Tilak in our lOIs setup.

For all people frothing at his ipl form tends to forget we had midget kedhar jhadhav featuring as a batting allrounder till 2019 world cup who could hardly clear 30 yrd circle for all his exploits.