Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.

rangeelaraja

On 8/16/2023 at 11:48 PM, Gollum said:

Right now I think only Gukesh and Praggu can challenge the likes of Caruana, Ding, Nepo. Carlsen is on another level, like 90s Kasparov. Give these boys some more time, even teenager Carlsen used to lose frequently against elites, his beast version at least in classical started only in 2011. Also he had much lesser competition as Anand/Kramnik/Topalov generation was quite old (Kasparov retired) and the Aronian/Grischuk generation wasn't that big a challenge. Indian youngsters have much more difficult competition to deal with, which includes prime Carlsen. 

Only Pragg is capable of challenging Magnus among all Indian players.

So far, Pragg's H2H v/s Carlsen is 5-7, which is not a bad record to have against the greatest player of the last 15 years and possibly all-time. Only Kasparov could challenge Magnus' claims to ATG.

Pragg v/s Carlsen have only played 1 classical game so far. It will be interesting if they can meet in the final. I think Carlsen would definitely have a significant edge in classical time formats. For Rapid and Blitz, it would likely be fairly even with Carlsen having a slight edge.

I am really glad Pragg made it to the semis. I think (and hope) that when he plays the candidates tournament, he can pull some rabbits out of his hat and surprise his higher rated opponents. I think Pragg has that "unpredictability" factor that makes him a dangerous opponent for anyone, even Carlsen. No offense to Arjun Erigiasi, but Pragg appears to be a special talent.

8 hours ago, Texan said:

Only Pragg is capable of challenging Magnus among all Indian players.

So far, Pragg's H2H v/s Carlsen is 5-7, which is not a bad record to have against the greatest player of the last 15 years and possibly all-time. Only Kasparov could challenge Magnus' claims to ATG.

Pragg v/s Carlsen have only played 1 classical game so far. It will be interesting if they can meet in the final. I think Carlsen would definitely have a significant edge in classical time formats. For Rapid and Blitz, it would likely be fairly even with Carlsen having a slight edge.

Magnus plays Nijat. Who, to be fair, is an unknown entity and *on paper* should be brushed aside. Magnus is likely to win that over the two classical games.

Caruana vs Pragg will be a lot closer. May even go into rapid/blitz etc.

So a well rested Magnus will play a relatively worn out Pragg/Caruna :ohmy:

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Are you teaching your daughter chess? 

I try. I'm not much of a teacher.

I had her enrolled for a chess tutorial and initially she enjoyed the games and the rigour. But patience is not her thing. Can't blame her. Her parents are lacking on that commodity too.

To really learn one must question intuition and try and find a better move to what strikes us first. We have to build that skill on her.

She is around 1200 rated in 10+0. Quite good for her age. We solve puzzles together, where she has reached around 1900. But the puzzle ratings are always inflated.

I'm backing off for a while. If she wants to pursue it further, she will organically take to it. There is only so much I should prod. 

I love Pragg and pray that he becomes World Champion.

But a motivated Gukesh on form at his very best can match Carlsen even with much lesser experience and exposure. 

I followed the Chess Olympiad last year and he achieved 8/8 (no draws ) at one point against 2600-2750 players. That’s a brute streak at the age of 16. He lost the last game and ended with 8/9. An amazingly strong performance. He has a tendency to get into these hot winning streaks.

There are still a couple of avenues for Gukesh to qualify for Candidates next year. 

Edited by rangeelaraja

9 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Same...Sagar shah has great passion for chess , doing very admirable work....Bhagwan usse khush rakhe:giggle:. One can imagine how overworked he must be , n it will take a toll on him...

Have met him many times. He lives in Ghatkopar, I used to study at KJ Somaiya Engg college in Ghatkopar where we used to bump into each other at the Jain temple often. Not a lot of people know he is a devout Jain and fasts a lot. 

Edited by rangeelaraja

16 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

I love Pragg and pray that he becomes World Champion.

But a motivated Gukesh on form at his very best can match Carlsen even with much lesser experience and exposure. 

I followed the Chess Olympiad last year and he achieved 8/8 (no draws ) at one point against 2600-2750 players. That’s a brute streak at the age of 16. He lost the last game and ended with 8/9. An amazingly strong performance. He has a tendency to get into these hot winning streaks.

There are still a couple of avenues for Gukesh to qualify for Candidates next year. 

yes, gukesh has a high ceiling, but needs to add some consistency

On 8/18/2023 at 7:52 PM, Mariyam said:

Magnus plays Nijat. Who, to be fair, is an unknown entity and *on paper* should be brushed aside. Magnus is likely to win that over the two classical games.

Caruana vs Pragg will be a lot closer. May even go into rapid/blitz etc.

So a well rested Magnus will play a relatively worn out Pragg/Caruna :ohmy:

Was I right or was I right?

:cool:

• The title was changed to Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.