In 2023, India has 3 pacers bowling 150 kph+ .... Mayank Yadav, Kartik Tyagi and Umran Malik

1 minute ago, Suhaan said:

And a little tall

yep, good point. don't want all pacers to be short. fortunately, most of the ones in that list are 6 feet or higher.

one other type of bowler that I would love to see is a 6'5+ bounce-based bowler come through the ranks, in the mould of the great Amby

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

yep, good point. don't want all pacers to be short. fortunately, most of the ones in that list are 6 feet or higher.

one other type of bowler that I would love to see is a 6'5+ bounce-based bowler come through the ranks, in the mould of the great Amby

We need to develop a Shami replacement too.  

Short, skiddy quick, good seam position, attacking the off stump and moving the ball consistently.

This type is lethal on the slow Asian pitches.

Umran has all the qualities except  consistent movement.  He has such wonderful seam position too. I can't believe that coaches are not working overtime to make him into a more complete product.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, Vijy said:

I was saying about the ones who bowl at 132-138/140

Those who are quick if they are tall then it will be a huge bonus

Even there,guys should be atleast 5'10"

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Short, skiddy quick, attacking the off stump and moving the ball consistently.

Umran has all the qualities except  consistent movement.  He has such wonderful seam position too. I can't believe that coaches are not working overtime to make him into a more complete product.

Coaches can only do so much. Players have to work hard. Also there is no off season to practice on these things.

1 minute ago, Lord said:

Coaches can only do so much. Players have to work hard. Also there is no off season to practice on these things.

Most of them are not that bright or not habitual due to conditions here

Coaches and management have their work cut out to make them ready,right coaches are necessary

Obviously it's the player who has to take the inputs and learn quickly

6 minutes ago, Lord said:

True.

But I believe Umran needs some help developing consistent movement.

And he should not be used as a Nose and Toes bowler but told to attack the top of off stump at full pace. 

Edited by express bowling
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

True.

Bug I believe Umran needs some help developing consistent movement.

And he should not be used as a Nose snd Toes bowler but told to attack the stumps.

Needs 3 months in MRF Pace academy without any games.

16 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Short, skiddy quick, good seam position, attacking the off stump and moving the ball consistently.

for asian pitches, we should be okay. even in the pre-shami days, likes of umesh, srinath, etc did well in home conditions. the pacers will do fine because those are the conditions they bowl in.

with that said, curators should develop all 4 types of tracks: green(swing); bounce; pattas; dustbowls

38 minutes ago, express bowling said:

True.

But I believe Umran needs some help developing consistent movement.

And he should not be used as a Nose and Toes bowler but told to attack the top of off stump at full pace. 

yes look to move it both aways attacking the stumps. Better control even at 5ks lesser i.e. 145 ks will yield better results.

21 minutes ago, Lord said:

yes look to move it both aways attacking the stumps. Better control even at 5ks lesser i.e. 145 ks will yield better results.

Umran, if he bowls in full rhythm, will bowl 150 k and be accurate 

In recent times, he is lacking rhythm and hence down both on pace and accuracy.

Cutting down natural pacd does not make a pacer more accurate. 

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

increase or decrease "default/natural" pace of someone, and the outcome is subpar performances.

6 minutes ago, express bowling said:

What I meant is he has already got the pace but is whole focus is on bowling as quick as possible so accuracy isn't quite there.

He can focus on improving skills/control for now and usually it'll result in slight decrease in pace but still will be fast enough.

Once he has the required skills/control he can again try to combine both.

1 minute ago, Lord said:

What I meant is he has already got the pace but is whole focus is on bowling as quick as possible so accuracy isn't quite there.

He can focus on improving skills/control for now and usually it'll result in slight decrease in pace but still will be fast enough.

Once he has the required skills/control he can again try to combine both.

I think he should first rediscover his pace, and then add the other stuff

Umran was fairly accurate in his second season of the IPL, I think he is getting to much inputs from everywhere.

It looks like he feels more comfortable in bowling in ODIs as there is lesser pressure of having 1/2 bad overs. He can have a role in white-ball cricket.

Play him along side Bhumrha where he has confidence if he mess-up there is a bowler who can cover him. Give him some matches against SL/BD. Asian games were good place to test him.

He needs to get his confidence back, and aim at taking wkts. 

Edited by tapandrun

Umran was bowling 155+ in IPL22 targeting stumps or top of off

Did quite well

If he had continued in same manner this year,he could have improved further

We learn and improve ,if we do things the same way which was successful for us in the past,upgrades/improvements happen naturally

Our mind start working

Umran like every youngster couldn't handle the pressure in the later half of the IPL22 and this came up with a conservative approach which doesn't suit him

He's fast he's quite accurate, why not use it to your advantage

Just now, Suhaan said:

Umran was bowling 155+ in IPL22 targeting stumps or top of off

Did quite well

If he had continued in same manner this year,he could have improved further

We learn and improve ,if we do things the same way which was successful for us in the past,upgrades/improvements happen naturally

Our mind start working

Umran like every youngster couldn't handle the pressure in the later half of the IPL22 and this came up with a conservative approach which doesn't suit him

He's fast he's quite accurate, why not use it to your advantage

he took up mukesh coomer-ji as his mentor