Accuracy and Effectiveness of Medium Pacers

As the name suggests, this is a thread to track the performances of INDIAN CRICKET TEAM's BACKBONE - The Medium Pacers

They get a bad rep from people who have no clue about cricket and are often ridiculed for their lack of 'express' pace.

But here, we celebrate the accuracy and the effectiveness of the Bhuvis, Pathans, Munaf Patels and other work horses

4.jpg

Edited by Jaydev_Unadkat
9 minutes ago, Jaydev_Unadkat said:

As the name suggests, this is a thread to track the performances of INDIAN CRICKET TEAM's BACKBONE - The Medium Pacers

They get a bad rep from people who have no clue about cricket and are often ridiculed for their lack of 'express' pace.

But here, we celebrate the accuracy and the effectiveness of the Bhuvis, Pathans, Munaf Patels and other work horses

4.jpg

dude, putting aside whether I agree with you or not, I have to say that munna bhai (munaf patel) was not a medium pacer. he was genuinely quick when he burst onto the scene, and stayed fast-medium for a while. ditto for nehraji.

you may want to change munna with someone else like balaji, zak, etc.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Vijy said:

dude, putting aside whether I agree with you or not, I have to say that munna bhai (munaf patel) was not a medium pacer. he was genuinely quick when he burst onto the scene, and stayed fast-medium for a while. ditto for nehraji.

Munaf started off genuinely quick. Wrecked England in the Warm up game and then in the debut series as well.

But he fell off and by the WI tour was bowling 132 kph if I remember correctly. And by 2011 wc really remodelled himself as a 132 kph bowler.

btw zaheer khan was also hitting high 130 and early 140 when he started off in the ICC knockout tourn..

but I agree with ur point

Edited by Jaydev_Unadkat
10 minutes ago, Jaydev_Unadkat said:

Munaf started off genuinely quick. Wrecked England in the Warm up game and then in the debut series as well.

But he fell off and by the WI tour was bowling 132 kph if I remember correctly. And by 2011 wc really remodelled himself as a 132 kph bowler.

btw zaheer khan was also hitting high 130 and early 140 when he started off in the ICC knockout tourn..

but I agree with ur point

yeah, Munaf by 2011 WC was more of an accurate stump-to-stump bowler. however, his selection was (ironically) due to hyped pace.

case of zak is also that he slowed down (as all pacers do), but munna was faster, and then was slower.

Sorry buddy, I have to disgree with you on that, medium pacers need to be put on hold if India has to win anywhere against any team.

Medium pacer will not win matches in Australia and SA.Guys like Bhuvi who has been bane of Indian white cricket need to be kept far away from Indian teams unless they can be allrounders atleast on Thakur's level.

I want fast bowlers who can bowl 140 plus consistently in multiple spells.To me  calling a guy like Prasidh as 90 mile fast bowler is ridiculous.

He was running on fumes in his second spell in odis.

I hope guy like Tyagi is not lost , He is a genuine fast bowler who has all the tools.We don't want to being going back to trundler culture.

Mukesh was good as he was being compared to Prasidh but he is not long term option in anything.

Munaf what did he do to termed as good bowler forget being great bowler.

Edited by putrevus
3 hours ago, Vijy said:

Munaf's name came into limelight when Lillly told Ind press that he could be faster/equally fast than Lee(who at that time might be bowling his fastest).

Manaf had some back injury and then came back had a couple of session with Ind great batters like Sachin, Dravid to assess if he any good or not (not exactly sure of the sequence of the event he may have been injured later)

From the assessment it was said he is bit way-ward and need to work on his line length, then he made a debut against Eng bowled some bowls in 140 kmph some reaching upto 145. ***At that time there were many bowling in 140+ kmph- Flintoff was touching 150 kmphs at time, Harminson was quick and bouncy, and there were many other  ****

Think it was 1/2 seasons in intnl cricket he became a sub 140 kmph bowler and then at times he was bowling below 135 kmph.

Almost all test fast bowlers bowl at 135kph mostly. Dale Steyn, KG etc.  I don't know if KG Rabada even touched 140 in the recent series.  You cannot sustain 145 all the time in Tests. Only Lee and AKhtar have done it. It is always a case of bowling quickly when you want to like Cummins, Hazlewood do. They up the pace only when they want to not all the time.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Number said:

Debasis Mohanty

Abey Kuruvilla

Tinu Yohanan

And does anyone know this guy 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtFjI9Wao7avwh59P53TQ

Avishkar Salvi the mcgrath clone. Bowled high 130s in his debut game against bangla 

Was later out due to suspect action 

Edited by Jaydev_Unadkat
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Number said:

Really ? I didn't know that.

Suspect action se bhi 130 kmph tak hi ja paaya :rofl:

I think I read somewhere that time that his action was under scrutiny although not sure if it was official or behind the scenes. I was a teenager back then so blurry.

but yea if im wrong apologies to mr Salvi

he also has a phd in astrophysics

Edited by Jaydev_Unadkat
13 minutes ago, Jaydev_Unadkat said:

Avishkar Salvi the mcgrath clone. Bowled high 130s in his debut game against bangla 

Was later out due to suspect action 

That's fine.   But that poster was trying to convey a message here.  That most Indian medium pacers (who were supposedly accurate) and bowled at 125 to 135 kmph didn't last long in the intl scene, and became a forgotten entity rather quickly.  Contrary to this thread created by you on the "Effectiveness and Match Winning abilities of the Indian Medium pacers"   

Edited by Frustrated
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

That's fine.   But that poster was trying to convey a message here.  That most Indian medium pacers (who were supposedly accurate) and bowled at 125 to 135 kmph didn't last long in the intl scene, and became a forgotten entity rather quickly.  Contrary to the thread created by you yesterday on the "Effectiveness and Match Winning abilities of the Indian Medium pacers"   

Apart from Bumrah and to some extrent Srinath, most Indian pacers have bowled medium pace to fast for most part of their career.

zaheer, ishant, agarkar, bhuvi etc didn fade away quickly.

im not not talking about 120kph in this thread

im talkin about bowers who would range about 135kph

it is a fact that extreme quick bowlers are extremely rare in Indian cricket and our cricket is built on the medium pacers who bowl 135 on avg 

nothing to be ashamed of that

them being match winners is not imp, they just have to be competent enough to compliment our stronger suite- the batting (recent debacles aside)

Edited by Jaydev_Unadkat
3 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

That's fine.   But that poster was trying to convey a message here.  That most Indian medium pacers (who were supposedly accurate) and bowled at 125 to 135 kmph didn't last long in the intl scene, and became a forgotten entity rather quickly.  Contrary to the thread created by you yesterday on the "Effectiveness and Match Winning abilities of the Indian Medium pacers"   

That is factually true though. 

Srinath, Zak, Ishant, Shami, Bumrah are the best Indian pacers in last 30 years and they all had the ability to bowl 140+.

I am not sure of speeds of Kapil Paji.

Bhuvi, Irfan, Praveen were prodigious swing bowlers but couldn't do well in variety of conditions over an extended period.

1 minute ago, Number said:

That is factually true though. 

Srinath, Zak, Ishant, Shami, Bumrah are the best Indian pacers in last 30 years and they all had the ability to bowl 140+.

I am not sure of speeds of Kapil Paji.

Bhuvi, Irfan, Praveen were prodigious swing bowlers but couldn't do well in variety of conditions over an extended period.

Zak Ishant Had the a ability but they did that rarely. 75% of their career they bowled mid 130s and was good enough.

Just now, Jaydev_Unadkat said:

Zak Ishant Had the a ability but they did that rarely. 75% of their career they bowled mid 130s and was good enough.

Having the ability is important. There are times when you need that extra sting of pace when ball is not doing anything. Steyn used to do that so often in his 3rd-4th spell with the old ball.

The importance of a metronomic seamer is underrated on these tours. Ishant was that guy for us, it's not just about pace or lack of it. 

Saini I thought could have been the guy but he lost his way and became a half volley merchant. Looks like it will be Mukesh going forward