Mother of all CoVid vaccine rants - authored by Backtocricaddict

BacktoCricaddict

For 4 years, from the original strain that escaped from a market or a lab or a bat-forest to alpha to delta to omicron to every other freakkin letter in the greek alphabet to BA.1.86 to JN.1 to every other english alphabet soup variant, I dodged the damned virus. I teach for a living. Colleges are germ-incubators made up of young, socially active humans. I teach in one. Interacted with them for 4 years. I also traveled quite a bit. Within the US. To India and back. Twice. I protected myself and my family with my constant nagging about masking and vaccines. I bought cargo pants so I could carry extra masks and sanitizers in case my family needed them. We lived our lives, had great times while still dodging the damned virus.

Most importantly I took 7 mRNA shots. Yes, 7.  I am old-ish. My MIL is old (not ish). She lives with us. I have to protect her too. So, I took them. She took them too, as did my missus and kids. Some of them made us feverish for a day or so. And you know what - it kept the virus at bay.  For 4 years. I was a freakkin monster, but we dodged the virus.

And this winter? I dropped my guard. And let my family drop their guard, too. Although we masked on our flight, we stayed went out with relatives to restaurants unmasked because it was awkward etc. etc.  And you know the rest.

Serial infection. First me. Almost no symptoms. But took Paxlovid just in case. Then my wife. Mild symptoms. Paxlovid. My kids. Mild symptoms. MIL mild symptoms (thankfully). Paxlovid. All good so far? 

Until this past Tuesday.  I had a freakkin rebound. It hit me at work like a ton of bricks. In one afternoon I went from no symptoms and a negative test to being miserable and a positive test. Couldn't work all week.

But Worst thing of all?  I have lost smell. They say it will come back. But I am the foodie, the chef at home.  And I can't even smell ginger-garlic paste. I am raging mad right now. 

So, 2 things:

(a) Novak Djokovic and all you other anti-vaxxers, shove it.

(b) Someone please assure me (even anecdotal evidence is good enough) that lost smell due to Covid will return.

If you made it this far, you need as much help as I do :-)

13 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

For 4 years, from the original strain that escaped from a market or a lab or a bat-forest to alpha to delta to omicron to every other freakkin letter in the greek alphabet to BA.1.86 to JN.1 to every other english alphabet soup variant, I dodged the damned virus. I teach for a living. Colleges are germ-incubators made up of young, socially active humans. I teach in one. Interacted with them for 4 years. I also traveled quite a bit. Within the US. To India and back. Twice. I protected myself and my family with my constant nagging about masking and vaccines. I bought cargo pants so I could carry extra masks and sanitizers in case my family needed them. We lived our lives, had great times while still dodging the damned virus.

Most importantly I took 7 mRNA shots. Yes, 7.  I am old-ish. My MIL is old (not ish). She lives with us. I have to protect her too. So, I took them. She took them too, as did my missus and kids. Some of them made us feverish for a day or so. And you know what - it kept the virus at bay.  For 4 years. I was a freakkin monster, but we dodged the virus.

And this winter? I dropped my guard. And let my family drop their guard, too. Although we masked on our flight, we stayed went out with relatives to restaurants unmasked because it was awkward etc. etc.  And you know the rest.

Serial infection. First me. Almost no symptoms. But took Paxlovid just in case. Then my wife. Mild symptoms. Paxlovid. My kids. Mild symptoms. MIL mild symptoms (thankfully). Paxlovid. All good so far? 

Until this past Tuesday.  I had a freakkin rebound. It hit me at work like a ton of bricks. In one afternoon I went from no symptoms and a negative test to being miserable and a positive test. Couldn't work all week.

But Worst thing of all?  I have lost smell. They say it will come back. But I am the foodie, the chef at home.  And I can't even smell ginger-garlic paste. I am raging mad right now. 

So, 2 things:

(a) Novak Djokovic and all you other anti-vaxxers, shove it.

(b) Someone please assure me (even anecdotal evidence is good enough) that lost smell due to Covid will return.

If you made it this far, you need as much help as I do :-)

Sorry to hear, Anna. Hope you and all in the family feel better. 

If you've been overly cautious and then dropped your guard then it makes sense that you've got it. The more you expose yourselves to viruses the better your body is to fight against them. Just like how locals in India can drink unfiltered tap water without issues yet a tourist will get seriously ill. 

I've only got covid when leading a bad lifestyle of sleeping too little or not eating enough, both of which weakened my immune system. 

I just had the first one (Janssen)  and a Moderna booster. Totally 7’3. 7 shots? I was aware of another booster. Where is this 7 count coming from? I had Covid back in 2021. Mild variant, I had diminished sense of of smell since childhood, so can’t tell the difference after Covid 

It’s just Covid OP. 7 shots still couldn’t protect you though. Are going to take Covid shot every year ? I think most anti vaxxers believed the vaccine didn’t had enough testing and was hurried to the market and also this was leaked from a lab that did gain of function testing and nothing natural about it all caused by few pharma companies which killed millions.  Recently took flu vaccine and was sick for a week. Covid has caused vaccine fatigue for me and recent flu vaccine also added to my fatigue.  Indians in India are general have better immunity than Indians in US as they are more exposed to different kind of bacteria and viruses don’t worry it builds your immunity naturally than artificially injecting some strain which will be ineffective in few months.

Edited by gattaca

from what i have read smell and taste returns for most after a month or so. it seems in the US everyone takes paxlovid fo fun. in the UK it's strictly for the immunocompromised or other highly vulnerable groups. old age doesn't count.

i got covid for the first time at Christmas. lots in the UK are getting it for the first time. chest tightness and breathing still not 100%. i'm putting it down to an overactive stress response. if it persists i'll see a lung doc.

Smell came back yesterday!  Doc thinks it wasn't a Covid-induced loss of smell, but just due to congestion.  Point is - came back just in time to make and smell Pongal. Thank you all for your concern and good wishes. Will get to answering questions posed.

So, thanks to vaccine-induced immunity, the worst symptoms I experienced with an actual infection were:

1 afternoon of heavy sneezing

4 days of nasal congestion that made me miserable through Saturday, and

3 days of smell loss. 

No fever, only mild cough

Improved swiftly. Couldn't work because I couldn't dare risk spread it to students and colleagues. Now, no more excuses. Back to work tomorrow after MLK break today!

https://gizmodo.com/german-man-got-217-covid-19-shots-vaccines-immunity-1851309497

A German man seems to be no worse for wear after having allegedly gotten more than 200 covid-19 vaccine doses. In a new study out this week, scientists examined the man’s blood and saliva and found no evidence that the “hypervaccination” he went through harmed his immune response to covid-19 or his general health. If anything, the repeated shots might have made the man less vulnerable to covid-19 infection, though no one should follow in his footsteps.

The man’s vaccine shenanigans were first reported by German authorities in spring 2022. That March, he was caught receiving a covid-19 shot at the same vaccination center in the state of Saxony two days in a row. The police alleged at the time that the man—only described as a resident of the city of Magdeburg in his 60s—had been getting extra shots to secure legitimate information (the vaccine batch numbers) for fake vaccination cards that would then be sold to people unwilling to get vaccinated themselves.

Local prosecutors did open an investigation into the man for alleged fraud, but ultimately declined to pursue criminal charges. Researchers at the University of Erlangen–Nuremberg and the University Hospital Erlangen heard about his story from news reports and decided to reach out and ask if they could examine him; the man readily agreed. The team’s subsequent paper on the unusual case was published this Monday in the journal Lancet Infectious Diseases.

Before their investigation closed, prosecutors determined that the man had received at least 130 covid-19 vaccinations over a nine-month period. The researchers found documentation of 108 shots, some of which overlapped with those found by the authorities. But the man claims that he had actually gotten 217 vaccinations over the course of 29 months. These shots were obtained from various types of vaccines, though the majority were mRNA vaccines.

During those years, the man underwent several blood tests. He granted the researchers access to his medical records and stored samples, as well as let them take new samples of his blood and saliva. He also, “at his own insistence,” got two more vaccinations while the study was ongoing, allowing the researchers to document his immune response afterward.

Throughout all of this, the man reported no vaccine-related side effects. And when the researchers compared his samples to controls (people who had gotten three mRNA doses), they found no apparent negative effects from his hundreds of vaccinations, and possibly even some positive ones.

The team found no evidence that his immune response to other germs was impaired, for instance. The man’s quantity of antibodies and T-cells specific to the spike protein of the coronavirus were also higher than controls, sometimes substantially, while only he appeared to have anti-spike antibodies lingering in his saliva. And though there has been some theoretical concern that repeated vaccinations against covid-19 over too short a time period might weaken a person’s response to the latest vaccine, the team found that he still experienced a modest boost in immunity after the 217th shot. Perhaps the most tantalizing finding is that the man has seemingly never caught covid-19, with two dozen tests taken over the years having all come up negative so far.

“The observation that no noticeable side effects were triggered in spite of this extraordinary hypervaccination indicates that the drugs have a good degree of tolerability,” said study author Kilian Schober in a statement from the university.

The authors note that they can’t definitively prove that the man has remained covid-free as a result of his unusual habit. And at the end of the day, this is just a single case. We also know that vaccines can cause rare but sometimes severe complications, even if the benefits of covid-19 vaccination vastly outweigh the possible risks.

Luckily for the rest of us, plenty of data has shown that we don’t need 200-plus shots to get those benefits.

“Current research indicates that a three dose vaccination, coupled with regular top-up vaccines for vulnerable groups, remains the favored approach. There is no indication that more vaccines are required,” said Schober.

I promise this is not me.  But, as some of the comments say, his 5G reception is probably off the charts awesome!

When you create a new topic, it already says which poster submitted it. To highlight it in the header is straight up being in vain and vanity is a hell of a drug :laugh: Somehow you are supposed to be a teacher in a US university. Yet you seem to keep the posts coming one after another on your drivel about corona. Where do you get the time? You seem to be a jobless "intellectual" at the worst and an establishment agenda pusher at the best

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

When you create a new topic, it already says which poster submitted it. To highlight it in the header is straight up being in vain and vanity is a hell of a drug :laugh: Somehow you are supposed to be a teacher in a US university. Yet you seem to keep the posts coming one after another on your drivel about corona. Where do you get the time? You seem to be a jobless "intellectual" at the worst and an establishment agenda pusher at the best

He gets his narcissistic tendencies from Trump.

Who is not jobless here on ICF? We are all discussing and solving world problems like it matters to anybody. Who cares about your drivel about conspiracy theories or moon landing hoaxes? :laugh:

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

He gets his narcissistic tendencies from Trump.

Who is not jobless here on ICF? We are all discussing and solving world problems like it matters to anybody. Who cares about your drivel about conspiracy theories or moon landing hoaxes? :laugh:

I wasn’t out to trigger the unemployed. If you are out of a job, this is not my attempt to make fun of you.
This poster has a tendency to be pro establishment in his support for vaccines. It makes me question that he is some professor at a US university. I know enough that it’s not an easy job.

coming to your point about conspiracy theories, there are “fans” of those  “drivel”. @Jimmy Cliff was one such guy. Whatever happened to him. Haven’t seen his posts since corona.
Even you put your posts every now and then. And I wasn’t bumping the thread every now and then to keep the  thread current which this dude does. 

Edited by Real McCoy

39 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I wasn’t out to trigger the unemployed. If you are out of a job, this is not my attempt to make fun of you.
This poster has a tendency to be pro establishment in his support for vaccines. It makes me question that he is some professor at a US university. I know enough that it’s not an easy job.

coming to your point about conspiracy theories, there are “fans” of those  “drivel”. @Jimmy Cliff was one such guy. Whatever happened to him. Haven’t seen his posts since corona.
Even you put your posts every now and then. And I wasn’t bumping the thread every now and then to keep the  thread current which this dude does. 

I was just trying to be facetious.