Mother of all CoVid vaccine rants - authored by Backtocricaddict

BacktoCricaddict

For 4 years, from the original strain that escaped from a market or a lab or a bat-forest to alpha to delta to omicron to every other freakkin letter in the greek alphabet to BA.1.86 to JN.1 to every other english alphabet soup variant, I dodged the damned virus. I teach for a living. Colleges are germ-incubators made up of young, socially active humans. I teach in one. Interacted with them for 4 years. I also traveled quite a bit. Within the US. To India and back. Twice. I protected myself and my family with my constant nagging about masking and vaccines. I bought cargo pants so I could carry extra masks and sanitizers in case my family needed them. We lived our lives, had great times while still dodging the damned virus.

Most importantly I took 7 mRNA shots. Yes, 7.  I am old-ish. My MIL is old (not ish). She lives with us. I have to protect her too. So, I took them. She took them too, as did my missus and kids. Some of them made us feverish for a day or so. And you know what - it kept the virus at bay.  For 4 years. I was a freakkin monster, but we dodged the virus.

And this winter? I dropped my guard. And let my family drop their guard, too. Although we masked on our flight, we stayed went out with relatives to restaurants unmasked because it was awkward etc. etc.  And you know the rest.

Serial infection. First me. Almost no symptoms. But took Paxlovid just in case. Then my wife. Mild symptoms. Paxlovid. My kids. Mild symptoms. MIL mild symptoms (thankfully). Paxlovid. All good so far? 

Until this past Tuesday.  I had a freakkin rebound. It hit me at work like a ton of bricks. In one afternoon I went from no symptoms and a negative test to being miserable and a positive test. Couldn't work all week.

But Worst thing of all?  I have lost smell. They say it will come back. But I am the foodie, the chef at home.  And I can't even smell ginger-garlic paste. I am raging mad right now. 

So, 2 things:

(a) Novak Djokovic and all you other anti-vaxxers, shove it.

(b) Someone please assure me (even anecdotal evidence is good enough) that lost smell due to Covid will return.

If you made it this far, you need as much help as I do :-)

13 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

For 4 years, from the original strain that escaped from a market or a lab or a bat-forest to alpha to delta to omicron to every other freakkin letter in the greek alphabet to BA.1.86 to JN.1 to every other english alphabet soup variant, I dodged the damned virus. I teach for a living. Colleges are germ-incubators made up of young, socially active humans. I teach in one. Interacted with them for 4 years. I also traveled quite a bit. Within the US. To India and back. Twice. I protected myself and my family with my constant nagging about masking and vaccines. I bought cargo pants so I could carry extra masks and sanitizers in case my family needed them. We lived our lives, had great times while still dodging the damned virus.

Most importantly I took 7 mRNA shots. Yes, 7.  I am old-ish. My MIL is old (not ish). She lives with us. I have to protect her too. So, I took them. She took them too, as did my missus and kids. Some of them made us feverish for a day or so. And you know what - it kept the virus at bay.  For 4 years. I was a freakkin monster, but we dodged the virus.

And this winter? I dropped my guard. And let my family drop their guard, too. Although we masked on our flight, we stayed went out with relatives to restaurants unmasked because it was awkward etc. etc.  And you know the rest.

Serial infection. First me. Almost no symptoms. But took Paxlovid just in case. Then my wife. Mild symptoms. Paxlovid. My kids. Mild symptoms. MIL mild symptoms (thankfully). Paxlovid. All good so far? 

Until this past Tuesday.  I had a freakkin rebound. It hit me at work like a ton of bricks. In one afternoon I went from no symptoms and a negative test to being miserable and a positive test. Couldn't work all week.

But Worst thing of all?  I have lost smell. They say it will come back. But I am the foodie, the chef at home.  And I can't even smell ginger-garlic paste. I am raging mad right now. 

So, 2 things:

(a) Novak Djokovic and all you other anti-vaxxers, shove it.

(b) Someone please assure me (even anecdotal evidence is good enough) that lost smell due to Covid will return.

If you made it this far, you need as much help as I do :-)

Sorry to hear, Anna. Hope you and all in the family feel better. 

If you've been overly cautious and then dropped your guard then it makes sense that you've got it. The more you expose yourselves to viruses the better your body is to fight against them. Just like how locals in India can drink unfiltered tap water without issues yet a tourist will get seriously ill. 

I've only got covid when leading a bad lifestyle of sleeping too little or not eating enough, both of which weakened my immune system. 

I just had the first one (Janssen)  and a Moderna booster. Totally 7’3. 7 shots? I was aware of another booster. Where is this 7 count coming from? I had Covid back in 2021. Mild variant, I had diminished sense of of smell since childhood, so can’t tell the difference after Covid 

It’s just Covid OP. 7 shots still couldn’t protect you though. Are going to take Covid shot every year ? I think most anti vaxxers believed the vaccine didn’t had enough testing and was hurried to the market and also this was leaked from a lab that did gain of function testing and nothing natural about it all caused by few pharma companies which killed millions.  Recently took flu vaccine and was sick for a week. Covid has caused vaccine fatigue for me and recent flu vaccine also added to my fatigue.  Indians in India are general have better immunity than Indians in US as they are more exposed to different kind of bacteria and viruses don’t worry it builds your immunity naturally than artificially injecting some strain which will be ineffective in few months.

Edited by gattaca

from what i have read smell and taste returns for most after a month or so. it seems in the US everyone takes paxlovid fo fun. in the UK it's strictly for the immunocompromised or other highly vulnerable groups. old age doesn't count.

i got covid for the first time at Christmas. lots in the UK are getting it for the first time. chest tightness and breathing still not 100%. i'm putting it down to an overactive stress response. if it persists i'll see a lung doc.

Smell came back yesterday!  Doc thinks it wasn't a Covid-induced loss of smell, but just due to congestion.  Point is - came back just in time to make and smell Pongal. Thank you all for your concern and good wishes. Will get to answering questions posed.

So, thanks to vaccine-induced immunity, the worst symptoms I experienced with an actual infection were:

1 afternoon of heavy sneezing

4 days of nasal congestion that made me miserable through Saturday, and

3 days of smell loss. 

No fever, only mild cough

Improved swiftly. Couldn't work because I couldn't dare risk spread it to students and colleagues. Now, no more excuses. Back to work tomorrow after MLK break today!