India A vs England Lions

1 hour ago, tweaker said:

Patidar,Sarfaraz,Saurabh,Sundar from the A team selected in the aaj as for 2 nd test.

This is ideal scenario ,players from the A team should be selected for the test team.Next maybe Rinku,Suthar,Akashdeep  

suthar should have played ahead of axar. much better bowler.

Matthew Potts and Brydon Carse wreaked havoc on a India A side as they bowled the hosts out for a modest 192 to give England Lions upper hand in the third and final unofficial Test in Ahmedabad on Thursday.

At stumps on the opening day of the four-day fixture, England Lions were placed strongly at 98/1, with Alex Lees batting on 48 (106b) in the company of Oliver Price (20; 63b). The visitors trailed by 96 runs in their first innings.

Potts returned with excellent figures of 6/57, his second successive six-wicket haul,

India A 1st Innings 192; 50.2 overs (Devdutt Padikkal 65, Saransh Jain 64, Tilak Varma 22; Matthew Potts 6/57, Brydon Carse 4/52).

England Lions 1st Innings 98/1; 34 overs (Alex Lees 48 batting, Oliver Price 20 batting). 

19 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

Akashdeep deserves India Cap much more than likes of Mukesh, Avesh type bowlers.

Took 4fer in previous game as well and again a 4 fer now. 4fer is equivalent to a 100.

akash and mulani both deserve callups

42 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Based on current FC records, I had been pitching for Rinku Singh to get chances in India's MO. Need to temper my expectations after his poor returns in the A-team. He's had a tough time. Hope it doesn't dent his confidence in the LOI set up.

he is not a FC player despite his great record. even randos in FC have 55+ avg. in last few years, likes of bhui, indrajith, etc have all had 55+ avg over multiple seasons, but are not in that tier of test players

58 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he is not a FC player despite his great record. even randos in FC have 55+ avg. in last few years, likes of bhui, indrajith, etc have all had 55+ avg over multiple seasons, but are not in that tier of test players

Two things that tipped the scale in his favor (in my mind) were that his record is based on a good sample size but more importantly his FC SR indicates dominance of domestic bowlers. I seem to place a lot of weight on sample-size + average + SR as it indicates FC dominance and that might translate into test success. Jaiswal, Gill, Iyer, Sarfaraz all have that (and early returns from Gill and Iyer were quite good).

With the Babas and Bhui and Vihari, avg is high but SR is not, and tells me that they are adequate but not special. Oh well ..

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
4 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Two things that tipped the scale in his favor (in my mind) were that his record is based on a good sample size but more importantly his FC SR indicates dominance of domestic bowlers. I seem to place a lot of weight on sample-size + average + SR as it indicates FC dominance and that might translate into test success. Jaiswal, Gill, Iyer, Sarfaraz all have that (and early returns from Gill and Iyer were quite good).

With the Babas and Bhui and Vihari, avg is high but SR is not, and tells me that they are adequate but not special. Oh well ..

in case of gill, only debut series was good, rest was mostly tripe. also look at shaw: high avg and high SR in domestics as well. got brutally found out in Oz in that 1 test. was nowhere near test class in that match.

1 minute ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

But, what a success. The most important 91 made in an innings ever by a rookie opener. Against that attack. In Brisbane.

The guy has it. Even in the first innings of this match, he looked fine until he got a bit cocky on that. If only England had KSB behind the stumps :-)

he sure has it to score 20s and 30s. possibly the worst test batter to emerge from India in my decades of watching cricket barring anshuman gaekwad

8 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he sure has it to score 20s and 30s. possibly the worst test batter to emerge from India in my decades of watching cricket barring anshuman gaekwad

That's harsh. I mean we've had Deep Dasgupta. Shib Sundar Das. Akash Chopra. Vikram Rathour. Badrinath, even SKY ....

As for Anshuman Gaekwad - dude was a surefire cure for insomnia. Once he scored a double hundred, I think, and it seemed like he batted all 5 days.

Gill is still young. I feel confident that he will figure it out. Especially if it is a mental/concentration issue. For the good of Indian cricket, I hope he does.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
6 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

That's harsh. I mean we've had Deep Dasgupta. Shib Sundar Das. Akash Chopra. Vikram Rathour. Badrinath, even SKY ....

As for Anshuman Gaekwad - dude was a surefire cure for insomnia. Once he scored a double hundred, I think, and it seemed like he batted all 5 days.

Gill is still young. I feel confident that he will figure it out. Especially if it is a mental/concentration issue. For the good of Indian cricket, I hope he does.

most of them didn't play long enough, as they got rightly booted. gill has played over 20 tests. I should have said that he was the worst batter from India I have seen (barring anshuman) who has played 20+ tests. I rate him lower than SS das, for instance.

Edited by Vijy
21 hours ago, Vijy said:

most of them didn't play long enough, as they got rightly booted. gill has played over 20 tests. I should have said that he was the worst batter from India I have seen (barring anshuman) who has played 20+ tests. I rate him lower than SS das, for instance.

How did he score runs against one  of the best AUS attack , how did he score today if he is so bad ? 

Probably one of best young player vs high pace & bounce , but has weakness against swing and spin.

But today's knock shows that he can iron out his game vs spin else he could not have scored a ton while all others failed . 

Swing is a bigger problem. 

BUT he is not a very bad player as some try to sound it that way . 

I feel  some of the Great players of the past like KP, Gambhir, Shastri  etc.  have better cricketing acumen than us !

6 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

How did he score runs against one  of the best AUS attack , how did he score today if he is so bad ? 

Probably one of best young player vs high pace & bounce , but has weakness against swing and spin.

But today's knock shows that he can iron out his game vs spin else he could not have scored a ton while all others failed . 

I feel  some of the Great players of the past like KP, Gambhir, Shastri  etc.  have better cricketing acumen than us !

Good player. Hope he has turned a corner. Has the potential to have a long, productive career.

10 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

he played very poorly. had lots of luck to get to that 100, more so than the norm.

On 1/29/2024 at 7:42 PM, tweaker said:

Patidar,Sarfaraz,Saurabh,Sundar from the A team selected in the squad as for 2 nd test.

This is ideal scenario ,players from the A team should be selected for the test team.Next maybe Rinku,Suthar,Akashdeep  

Now Akashdeep selected for the team India after good perfomance for A team