Will the NRIs now return to India? Since India is moving towards 'Akhand Bharat'.

MechEng

19 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

:two_thumbs_up: Congratulations bhai, on your decision! Many of my friends and colleagues have returned to India . It works for some, will not work for some, very few have returned  back. It is a personal thing and not got anything to do with salaray or lifestyle. I  was living better off in India affording more conveniences and also being among cousins and friends. Wherever one is, he should be happy and make peace with one’s life. (Prachand gyaan from SriSriSri yours truly)

I guess one can’t live in India thinking woh India ke liye bana hi nahin, kahin aur hona chahiye tha! 

Thank you very much. I was / am ready to fail but wasn't ok with not trying once.

13 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

NRIs don't get voting right in India and neither has any say in Indian politics. 

True and can only buy commercial property, no agri.

You mean OCI residing in India and not NRI

NRI is not a resident of India but if having an Indian passport is allowed to vote

OCI staying in India becomes a resident of India but is not allowed to vote

Edited by Haarkarjeetgaye

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

NRIs can stay in the west and build a stronger diaspora, exert their influence, form powerful lobbies, take over institutions and universities like how the Chinese and Arabs have managed. Don't need to be in India to serve Mother India. 

aisi influential post milegi to koi bhi le lega. hamare jaise to middle class hain. naukri hi kar sakte hai bas :hysterical:

5 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

NRPs can vote, I think. Remember some controversy when Imran Khan won the election a lot of overseas Pakistanis voted for him. 

NRI also can vote. OCI cannot vote. As long as one has an Indian passport, one can vote even if NRI.

10 minutes ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

aisi influential post milegi to koi bhi le lega. hamare jaise to middle class hain. naukri hi kar sakte hai bas :hysterical:

No. I met with multiple senators and congresspersons during immigration bills. One congressperson even remembered me after visiting few times. Building relationships with congresspersons and senators is important as well. It helped me during my immigration issues. It is also about visibility the more Indians visit them they know we are in big numbers and good vote bank and can be fair to india as well.

Edited by gattaca

2 minutes ago, gattaca said:

No. I met with multiple senators and congresspersons during immigration bills. One congressperson even remembered me after visiting few times. Building relationships with congresspersons and senators is important as well. It helped me during my immigration issues. It is also about visibility the more Indians visit them they know we are in big numbers and good vote bank and can be fair to india as well.

Amazing. Never done that.

32 minutes ago, Gollum said:

NRIs can stay in the west and build a stronger diaspora, exert their influence, form powerful lobbies, take over institutions and universities like how the Chinese and Arabs have managed. Don't need to be in India to serve Mother India. 

Exactly and they have much bigger role to play. Politically and economically. Today certain sections punch above their weight due to their numbers. We can punch through our success. Through our donations. Through our influence. 

3 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

spacer.png

Not this cringe please. Sure Bollywood attracted some eyeballs among Africans, West Asians etc....but today look at KPop, KDrama, Korean cinema and how far ahead they are. Entertainment avenues se influence badhana hai toh even China, Japan fall behind South Korea. 

6 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

What a stupid post.

What does Ram mandir have to do with traffic and quality of living? 

It's because you are not living in India and have no clue what issues average junta faces everyday.

You are in phirang land and like most lonely NRIs, you are craving for an identity. Modiji and Ram Mandir gives you that catharsis.

1 minute ago, MechEng said:

It's because you are not living in India and have no clue what issues average junta faces everyday.

You are in phirang land and like most lonely NRIs, you are craving for an identity. Modiji and Ram Mandir gives you that catharsis.

Never realized those Kar Sevaks were NRIs. Some them also looked bit too "swiss" to me. Maybe the clue was that most of them were SRK fans. 

52 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Not this cringe please. Sure Bollywood attracted some eyeballs among Africans, West Asians etc....but today look at KPop, KDrama, Korean cinema and how far ahead they are. Entertainment avenues se influence badhana hai toh even China, Japan fall behind South Korea. 

What a fall for Bollywood from the days of Raj kapoor's "awara hoon" to this.. Bollywood post 90s has  been a nepo biz

@OP - I can give you my own perspective.

I studied and started my career in India. We used to get peanut salary back in the day even though I was working in a reputed international bank. So much so that it was tough to live a decent life even as a single guy, let alone going for a date, getting married etc. I am talking about 2009-2011 period when Congress was in power.

I then took the option of global mobility. The initial salary they offered me was something I could never have envisioned back home.  Now I am a British Citizen, earning decent money, having a family and staying just outside central London. When I speak to my colleagues now in India, the salary they are earning we could never have imagined back in those days. If I want to return to India now from my company in the similar job position I am in, I can live a very luxurious and lavish life. However, there is no point now to leave everything, change kids schools, sell house, go back and apply for Indian citizenship again. It is not simple. Even after staying in UK for more than a decade, I miss the office life and masti we used to have in India office. Had the government back then made India a better economy and offered the same salary they are giving now, perhaps we would have never left India. Ever thought of that?

Let me put it this way, 100% of Indian population would have opted to move overseas around 2009-2011 period but not many will be willing now since India is growing in every sector. 

Edited by Austin 3:!6

On a larger point, NRI first gen is strange mix of complexities and emotions. This is true and there are lot of contradictions in their existence. Writing a book on five stages of disillusionment for modern NRI based on my experience with interviews and insights. 

@MechEng seems a unique sample for me with some bits of what I have seen. "you guys don't know what it's like for average junta goes through back home. Why are you guys celebrating holi here ? Do you know what's happening back home etc etc. It's like SRK NRI in costume but in character is Nana Patekar from Krantiveer. This one doesn't move himself even for average struggling junta but has strong opinion about what other NRIs should feel. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Exactly. I know its hard specially for new generation leaving India. Its things we miss socially. Like Chai at corner, Strret food culture in evening, family and friends. Infact new Geneartion NRI's even miss using swear words. In life, there comes a point when its no more about money or better facilities as better life question has different meaning for different people at different stage of their life

Despite all that, I feel its right thing to do by NRIs to not return back unless its effecting mental health of you and/or family members,

I have to say except for @Mariyam, there is a serious dearth of sensible posters here.

I don't feel the need to respond to personal remarks here, whether I was running a prostitute business in the US or something else, but yes I can confirm now that India has gone down the drain.

We are not as braindead as Pakistan, but we'll get there :nice: jai shri ram!!

8 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

@OP - I can give you my own perspective.

I studied and started my career in India. We used to get peanut salary back in the day even though I was working in a reputed international bank. So much so that it was tough to live even a decent life even as a single guy, let alone going for a date, getting married etc. I am talking about 2009-2011 period when Congress was in power.

I then took the option of global mobility. The initial salary they offered me was something I could never have envisioned back home.  Now I am a British Citizen, earning decent money, having a family and staying just outside central London. When I speak to my colleagues now in India, the salary they are earning we could never have imagined back in those days. If I want to return to India now from my company in the similar job position I am in, I can live a very luxurious and lavish life. However, there is no point now to leave everything, change kids schools, sell house, go back and apply for Indian citizenship again. It is not simple. Even after staying in UK for more than a decade, I miss the office life and masti we used to have in India office. Had the government back then made India a better economy and offered the same salary they are giving now, perhaps we would have never left India. Ever thought of that?

Let me put it this way, 100% of Indian population would have opted to move overseas around 2009-2011 period but not many will be willing now since India is growing in every sector. 

You don't have to apply for Indian citizenship. You can live here on an OCI indefinitely. Only voting and agri land not allowed..