Euro 2008

Dhondy

Guest Hiten.

Thank god for that final whistle. If Romania beat the dutch, how many people will show up for Italy vs France ? :haha:

wat a fricking game... dutch is playing some excellent soccer atm... btw b_b.. both the matches r being played at the sametime nextweek.... i wud want dutch to play a2nd string team n loose to romania.. n kick both italians n french fires out.. tht wud b awesome.. oh how i wish tht stupid doper mutu had scored tht penalty today.. damn it...

I pity anyone who doesn't watch football. They don't know what they are missing. Greatest game in the world, bar none.
I was thinking the same thing this morning. It is the perfect game. Not many rules, not much needed to play. No contrived 'excitement', no 'made for tv' breaks every 10 minutes. Add to that the many different styles of play: you don't need to be a 400 pound gorilla, or 30 ft tall to be able to play, and be the best in the world. Styles develop according to physiology and cultural history. Czech vs. Turkiye was an excellent example. (granted, club football is at the highest level, but I find national teams more exciting and less contrived) Maybe in 30 years, we will see an Indian style of play in the WC. Turkey deserved to win, with the way they shot giant holes in the Czech defence. I feel bad for Petr Cech though, ****ing amazing goalkeeper 99% of the time.

Czechs were very unlucky - hitting the woodwork on one occasion, and squandering a handful of chances themselves. Sionko had a fantastic game on right wing and they outplayed Turkey until the 2nd went in, and then the game just opened up completely because the Turks had no other option but to attack. It's a very cruel game, but that's the way it is. Turks have had plenty of luck going for them in this tourney, as a similar story took place in the match vs the Swiss. Outplayed for the best part of 70 minutes, down 1-0, pulling one back after HT to make it 1-1, match looked headed for a draw but Arda scored in the last minute on counter-attack to make it 1-2. Arda scored again today, and he looks like a seriously talented player. Leaving aside the goals, he is very intelligent and calculated in his approach to the game - if he can improve a bit more physically, he will be ready to play for a top club in Spain or in England (already linked with Newcastle). Nihat, as i know already, has proven himself as a top class striker in Spain with Villarreal. Turkey are a fine team. I knew Turkey would draw, but i never expected them to win. You know, they were 60/1 to win the game after Nihat pounced on Cech's mistake to make it 2-2. I had a feeling they would do it, but i didn't have the balls to bet on them. Big mistake, i should trust my intuition a bit more. This has been a fantastic tournament so far, BTW. I have watched each and every game (except for the Portugal-Switzerland one today which was broadcast at the same time as TUR-CZE) and the only matches which really bored me were France-Romania and yesterday's Russa-Greece encounter. The rest of the games have been absolutely top drawer. Lots of fast paced, COMPETITIVE football, 3 goals on average every game, and the best players show-casing their skills. You can see why the European Championship p isses all over the World Cup. My disk drive is now bursting at the seams with all the videos i have recorded...but hey, its worth it. ...and if you want to see football at it's best, watch any of the Holland games. This is the best football i've seen them play in 8 years (last time being Euro 2000). I could write more and more and more 'til my fingers wear out, but i'll leave it at that. Football = best sport in the world.

Guest Hiten.
I pity anyone who doesn't watch football. They don't know what they are missing. Greatest game in the world, bar none.
Na don't think so. If a person does not follow a particular sport or an event (for that matter of fact), he will hardly be bothered about any ground shattering records in that sport/event.

Czechs were very unlucky - hitting the woodwork on one occasion, and squandering a handful of chances themselves. Sionko had a fantastic game on right wing and they outplayed Turkey until the 2nd went in, and then the game just opened up completely because the Turks had no other option but to attack. It's a very cruel game, but that's the way it is. Turks have had plenty of luck going for them in this tourney, as a similar story took place in the match vs the Swiss. Outplayed for the best part of 70 minutes, down 1-0, pulling one back after HT to make it 1-1, match looked headed for a draw but Arda scored in the last minute on counter-attack to make it 1-2. Arda scored again today, and he looks like a seriously talented player. Leaving aside the goals, he is very intelligent and calculated in his approach to the game - if he can improve a bit more physically, he will be ready to play for a top club in Spain or in England (already linked with Newcastle). Nihat, as i know already, has proven himself as a top class striker in Spain with Villarreal. Turkey are a fine team. I knew Turkey would draw, but i never expected them to win. You know, they were 60/1 to win the game after Nihat pounced on Cech's mistake to make it 2-2. I had a feeling they would do it, but i didn't have the balls to bet on them. Big mistake, i should trust my intuition a bit more. This has been a fantastic tournament so far, BTW. I have watched each and every game (except for the Portugal-Switzerland one today which was broadcast at the same time as TUR-CZE) and the only matches which really bored me were France-Romania and yesterday's Russa-Greece encounter. The rest of the games have been absolutely top drawer. Lots of fast paced, COMPETITIVE football, 3 goals on average every game, and the best players show-casing their skills. You can see why the European Championship p isses all over the World Cup. My disk drive is now bursting at the seams with all the videos i have recorded...but hey, its worth it. ...and if you want to see football at it's best, watch any of the Holland games. This is the best football i've seen them play in 8 years (last time being Euro 2000). I could write more and more and more 'til my fingers wear out, but i'll leave it at that. Football = best sport in the world.
Yes, Holland look awesome, don't they? They are scoring goals from everywhere, defending as a pack, there's just all round brilliance in their ranks. To beat the two WC finalists so comprehensively beggars belief. I was in Paris the day Holland took on France, listening to a guy speak on stem cell transplants in autoimmune diseases. The guy's name was Van de Putte, and he worked in Newcastle, England. He was introduced by the chairman as " So as you can see, he has a typical Geordie (Newcastle) name". The guy was supposed to give his talk and take questions from the audience. Instead, he opened with, "OK, I have a question for you". Everybody waited with bated breath for some thunderbolt on stem cells. Van de Putte asked, " So who thinks France can win tonight?" Despite the predominance of Frenchmen in the room, only 4 or 5 hands went up. The Dutch proved them correct with an awesome display of total football. Under Van Basten, this side looks unbeatable. Which probably means they will lose to Germany somewhere along the line. (BTW, Pred the titles on this forum are not showing up on the ticker at the side. Can you or Varun fix it?)